Guest viewing is limited

TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi SadKnee thank you. I am still using my crutches sometimes and will use them outdoors. I am walking confidently around the house without but will use them in the night if I need to get up. I am reducing there use but have certainly not given them up yet.
We are all different and it is not a competition. My knee is not bending very well but I am working gently on that with my exercises. I certainly think I have been very fortunate so far in feeling well and feeling very steady on my new knee. I am also lucky to be sleeping very well. I think the months of regular exercise bike has helped with my leg muscle tone as I am able to lift my leg well which makes things much easier.
Take care and hope you are well, love Toothfairy x
 
Toothfairy, hooray for you and your rapid progress with your new knee. I just did my first exercise session on my stationary bike and am hoping that over the next 6 to 8 months I can strengthen my left leg and knee as you did. It's had years of neglect as my right leg has been "the crutch". I look forward to reading more about your progress and success here. I'm just like so many people with the fears and "what if's" related to what I hope will be my new lease on life, so your story and others currently posting with such wonderful achievements in such a short period of time after your TKR is like my buoy in the storm.

All my best to you.
 
Thank you Art, I am touched by people's reaction to what I consider to be my very ordinary if lucky recovery.
Take care and build up that stationary bike slowly. I started on minimal resistance for five minutes only and built up over time to 30 minutes on a low-moderate resistance regularly. I was advised to keep the resistance lowish to avoid aggravating my knees. I hope I manage to continue with good progress but I am aware that this can be a very up and down ride so time will tell. At the least I have had a great start.
I hope your surgery will be very sucessful,
Best wishes, Toothfairy :flwrysmile:
 
Baking and cleaning at 2 weeks ? What are you like ? Hhmmmm... This is not in the mantra floaty Fairy one. :sigh:

May have to get on my :bicycle1:, again, and stop all your tottering about the house. Early days = rest.

Be careful on your bike though, if the hip thang isn't working for you, can't have you falling and hurting that fairy head, not to mention new knee.:bicycle2: :bicycle2:

Talkin of which,have you seen our chinook lately ? Will drop a line later, off out, hopefully for lunch, as I'm not cooking!

Seriously, your recovery is quite remarkable, I'm so pleased for you. You'll be back to work next week at this rate! Hope you have a sunny and sparKley afternoon. :martini:

Love Fernie x :flwrysmile: :dancy: :spin: :friends: :bicycle1: :bicycle1: :bicycle1:
 
Hi Fernie, wise one.
Baking and cleaning are such strong words. It was more of a quick wipe round with a cloth and a couple of minutes to soak some fruit in some tea then later a few minutes to stir up the loaf and pop it in the oven. All really quick and easy. Don't scold me too much. :cry: I am doing lots and lots and lots of resting. :angel:
Now that my bike seat has been dropped a notch I can get on and off easily and the bike is stable. I am only doing 10 gentle rocking stretches at a time, pushing as far as I can go without and discomfort. It feels good.
I have been for my first non medical outing today. Chauffeured by my husband I popped down to see a friend and drop in a card and gift for her sons birthday. Had a natter which was nice. Then we went to our local costa for a relaxed coffee and picked up a few groceries on the way home. I walked further than I have so far,took my crutches with me and used them a little on the way there and a bit more on the way back. Really enjoyed my outing. Came home and rested and iced. Was very surprised to find my knee hasn't swollen or stiffened up too much. Quite sleepy now. My knee seemed to loosen up when I had walked a bit.
Now Fernie gami livinginfl robynhood @bottomshollowor anyone else, have any of you ladies solved the hairy leg problem? I am mindful that I have been advised to avoid shaving my legs due to risk of nicking skin and infection. I presume that is not a lifetime ban? I am too wimpy for waxing and have quite sensitive skin. I was wondering about trying a hair removal cream but have never tried these. Would it be better to wait till my wound has totally healed? It is still covered so should be ok but I thought I would seek advice from the wise ones.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Your confused Toothfairy x :shrug: :happydance: :egypdance: :what:
 
Hi Tf...oh dear confessions of the Tour de BoneSmartie team...re: your comment about hairy legs... :heehee:

The problem arose for me some weeks back when I decided to have that first massage...I was not in very good shape at all didn't know how to manage or what to do.... :heehee: :heehee:

Solution...my husbands electric shaver... :giggle: he did the job for me :giggle: :giggle: ..okay so we 've been married 45years...first time I've ever had a new replacement...first time he ever shaved my legs. :snork: :wink: :snork:

But it worked...I mean I have been able to do them myself since then and he is fazed by the idea...okay it's just a suggestion if you get desperate . :yes!: :yes!: :yes!:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Ok TF, I'll let you have the tealoaf and cleaning as I see your resting schedule appears in order :heehee:.

Isnt is good to go out? I couldn't have managed that at 2 weeks though, more respect ....:bow: :sigh: :heehee: You may find Knee King creates overnight though after your jaunt and escape to freedom.

Thought of physio touching hairy legs made me :yikes: and I figured I could manage to do legs carefully after millions of years of practice. However, you could use a cream ?

As gami has mentioned le tour, and as you are so familiar with it, you will know those riders legs are as smooth as porcelain. So let's hope the situation is resolved before trials commence. :)

Take care, love Fernie xx
 
Thanks Gami, do you think your husband would bring it round? :rotfl:
My husband does not have an electric shaver but actually that is a good idea, I might get myself one, even a proper ladies one. Thanks for the confession and the helpful suggestion.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :yes!: :ok:
 
:cheers: Thanks Fernie, I did wonder about just doing it but I do sometimes nick myself. My immune system is compromised by other factors in my medical history so I am being a bit of a nervous Nellie. I think I may well go with the electric razor suggestion for safety. One way or another I need those legs as smooth as a baby's bottom before I have any chance of passing the team trials.
Oh the pressure, hee hee, :loll:
Have a good evening,
Love and hugs Toothfairy x :yes!: :thankyou:
 
Having to go to therapy 2 or 3 times a week, I have shaved my legs more this winter than I have since high school! :rofsign: Once a week (maybe) during the winter is my usual routine.
I started out with hubby's electric razor and once my scar was healed moved on to a regular one, I still do my scar with the electric as it is still a little touchy. I would stay away from any chemical removers until your scar is healed really good.
 
Well TF i couldnt remember when I first shaved my legs so I went back to my first posts and still couldnt find the post about shaving but I did find so many posts from you in my early recovery which I had totally forgotton about. You were so supportive to me right from the start even before you had your TKR so :thankyou: for that. I remember Debbie telling me not to use the cream but to shave very carefully. Its a weird feeling because even now I still have the numb feeling to the left of my scar but you do feel better once you have shaved.
 
Lots of advice for you on Shaving TF - am sure you'll find a good solution in there somewhere!

As long as you are non Amazon like for the trials! :heehee:

Hope you are OK today, another busy morning for me - not sure why, and tomorrow is really busy!

its gone 3pm already, today has flown by! not much to update from me!

TTFN Fx
 
Hi Fernie, well I am extremely tired today. I spent the whole morning in bed resting, exercising , icing and lazing. Once I was up and showered I made a pot of lentil soup ( did all the chopping sitting down) then retired to my recliner with an ice pack. Feeling weepy this afternoon which is very confusing as I have absolutely nothing to be weepy about.
I feel as though the extra stretches are improving my bending and straightening. My husband is supportive, my pain is controlled but I just suddenly felt the tears. Bizarre.
Feeling better after lunch. Nothing else planned today, just resting and icing and gentle stretches. Hopefully the weepies have been banished.
Exercise bike is going well, I am getting closer to the top of that backward rotation. I can see that it will come, not trying to hurry it, just gently stretching on the bike.
Brilliant news about Jetthugger now post op, hooray
Hope you can rest this afternoon and evening in advance of your busy day tomorrow,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF...just the normal down day...we all had them...have them and will have them again. You know the story big op, big gains since you came home, but still a big trauma for your body to cope with and that is all it's doing. :friends: :friends: .

you are doing just exactly what you need to do...rest and with rest comes a little bit more emotional recovery. Don't worry about your Tour program :wink: you are well ahead of the game...the rotation will come but don't push it too far otherwise it's three steps forward two steps back :bicycle2: . No rush my friend ...we are all together on this one...we are a team remember... :console2:

i hope the knitting works for you...I must try and take up another diversion for my night time non sleep hours so I feel they are a little more productive :umm: :whistle:

Just take it easy today, let your body know it's okay just to rest...
hugs Gami :friends: :angel: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy, The weepy thing is very common, so please try and not worry about it too much!:console2: You are 2 weeks out, and about now for some reason we start to feel trapped in our homes, We still don't have our independence back, we have to wait for someone else to do something that we have done ourselves for so long! And we still can't get in the car and go when we want to! So my dear, we all experience it even the guys! Those who have gone before you, myself included, know that this too shall pass. I think it hit me the hardest when I was weaning off the heavy duty drugs, I would start to cry at commercials for goodness sakes, if you think I was confused you should have seen my poor hubby!:shrug: So go ahead and have the good cry when it comes on and remember, tears cleanse the sole and the clouds lift afterwards, just tell hubby or whomever is around when it happens that it's all part of this TKR game! This will help them understand that it's not them, but part of the process of recovery!:console2:

Stay well my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
Thank you gami and Jacky48 I totally agree with your wise words. I am not worried about it and was half expecting it from reading others posts but it is still really weird when it happens especially when you are generally feeling happy.
I am feeling fine again, sitting resting with my favourite ice pack and watching a comedy. Have managed to pick up my knitting so that is something productive where I have to sit and rest.
Thank you again for your support, greatly appreciated,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :) :SUNsmile:
 
Nothing to add really, they have said it all. Dont fight it. Just let it flow. I couldnt concenrate on anything in the first few weeks but since then I have finished my daughters Aran and have read at least ten books. I couldnt concentrate on anything at first. Chin Up. Keep smiling and hope this cheers you up concerning the exercise bike. Hugs x x
[Bonesmart.org] Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust
 
Thank you Pat, I love it. I am feeling much better tonight. Enjoyed clicking those needles this afternoon. It is the back of my Aran jumper but only double moss stitch so not too taxing.
Interestingly my husband told me this evening that I had looked awful this afternoon. ( he is all sweet talk!)
I think I was just really tired. Planning another very quiet and relaxing day tomorrow.
It is so good to have friends who understand and can give you a boost when you have a wobble .
Thanks everyone,
Love and hugs and a big cheery grin,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :cheers: :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom