Excellent sign / hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jamie, First, thank you, i can actually feel the compassion for me in your words, anyway God bless you, lets get down to buisness - my BMI is , 40 and i know this because back in July they weighed me and then told me what it was, last yr when i had my other hip done i lost 56 lbs and it was 40 prior to the weight loss and after the 56 lbs of weight loss it went down to 37 1/2 - he told me if i can drop the BMI below 40 they'll do the surgery so if dropping 56lbs lowered the BMI 3 1/2 points 20 or 25 must lower it ,at best, to 39 right? how can it not, it makes sense to me so i can't understand if i lose 25 lbs between now and Oct 7th he wouldn't do the surgery especially if i'm "close to where i need to be, my weight right now as we speak is 277 which was this past Tuesday.

* Reasoning behind losing the weight and or dropping the BMI prior to SX is they are afraid of infection,surgeon told me this, i'm not making this up *

I hope i answered your concerns or questions Jamie :)
 
What is your height and we can calculate what your BMI is right now.
 
Yes, an inch does matter. Rich, are you in serious pain now? Is that why you think you should head to the ER?
 
Okay....at 5'8" with a weight of 277 your BMI is 42.1....so it is over 40. It is true that additional weight makes you at higher risk for infection after surgery. But....it is a risk, not a certainty. At your height, you would need to weigh 263 to have a BMI of 40.0. So, even if you must do this, it's not 20 pounds you need to lose. It's 14. And, I still say that small difference in weight shouldn't matter all that much, in my opinion. The point is that you need your hip fixed and THEN you can move enough so you'll be able to lose weight.
 
They will take care of you in the ER. I won't be online in a half hour. It's after 1:00 in the morning and I really must go to bed. But please do post and let me know how you're doing, okay? I'll be praying for you. I know this is tough. You will get through it....just like you did with the other hip. We'll get a plan. You'll be assertive and talk with the doc. And this will get done.
 
Hi Rich, sorry you had a rough night. Hope the Percocet helps a bit. You probably remember this from your first THR - this part is the hardest. Waiting in pain is just exhausting.

As a person who is in constant pain I think I know what you are feeling. There are days when I want to give in. But I decided a long time ago that I could either give into the pain or go on living. I chose the later. Yes I have bad days - but I just keep moving. I'm thankful I can still do pretty much what I want. You are not in that place right now. But you will be!

How about joining our Weight Loss/Healthy Eating thread in the Social Room. Sometimes a bit of support from others trying to do the same as you is helpful. Stay tough my friend!
 
Just checking on you this morning, Rich. Sorry it was tough for you last night. I hope you do make plans to call the doctor's office and get in to see them sooner than October. Let us hear from you!
 
Josephine - I'm NOT by any means in agony
Sorry I keep getting it wrong. But what you said after this tells me you are in a lot of pain. Pain is exhausting. At any rate, I can see that you are desperate to have this over and done with.
 
A this point in my life DESPERATE doesn't even begin to describe my pain my anger is what keeps me going, i was walking down my hallway a few minutes ago, no pain per se, although i was uncomfortable and i started CRYING and couldn't stop for fear of what the surgeon will say in Oct ,what a way to live in fear .....i'm sick of the physcial pain , i want out.
 
Rich, why don't you call and see if you can talk to the surgeon sooner? You're letting this get the better of you. Please re-read my suggestions in Post 20. Remember how you handled this the last time. You can do it again.
 
It's to late for that Jamie, i'm way past "getting the better of me" the surgeon he has an EGO the size of Mt Everest and is pretty unshakable , i did however call the nurse practitioner today crying who works with Dr Villiforte ( my surgeon) and told her what's going on and i went to the ER over the weekend ,the only problem is she doesn't work Mondays, i can only hope now she'll call me back at some point tomorrow, she's a nice , nice lady i think she will , by the way Jamie you (((( especially))) are getting me through this, amongst many other people on here , for that i'm truly grateful and please do me a favor don't say " that's what we're here for Rich" because you're not , you're not here,nor is everyone else for that matter, here to listen to me rant at times, lately especially , when it's all said and done and i get my new hip i am going to have to do something for you ladies :) it means so much,just being able to vent and have someone just listen is so comforting..for that i'm grateful.

* i'm 5' 7 *
 
Hi Rich, sounds like you have a plan. If she doesn't call you by noon why not give her a call? Hang in there!
 
Hi Rich... Tough times with hip number two... Hopefully you will get the call or you call her... Either way, stick with us, we are here for you!
 
I'm not so sure what to think anymore guys, this NP, i left a message with , is just that a nurse practitioner(although she works in orthopedics) she has no power to talk to the surgeon and have me seen sooner, but then again who knows, i'm totally clueless and helpless now...not to mention bitter.
 
I know this is difficult for you Rich, I do hope and pray you have some good news for us soon :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom