TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Carol,
Massachusetts is very nice, I am 10 min. Away from the Atlantic Ocean :swim:
10 min. From the best hospitals in the world :elevate: 1 hr. From the beautiful Mountains of
Maine & New Hampshire:hiking:Only down fall is our nickname...."Taxachusetts" I don't think
I have to explain:heehee:
We have 4 seasons...winters are freezing, Fall is simply beautiful, Spring wet, summer 90's
& muggy, but, not like down South.
I love the winter:happydance:Hate the heat of Summer:tantrum:
Now for a language lesson in "Boston Accent".....drop all your "R's", we don't need them &
We don't use them:no-fin: Substitute with "ah"...... Example: not car...."cah".....not park..."pahk"
Everything is "wicked" good or bad.....Really good is "wicked Awesome"
Coffee is "Dunks" coffee chain Dunkin Donuts.
We don't like being compared to New York at all. :no-fin: They are our mortal enemies, thanks to
Baseball ( Boston Red Sox- N.Y Yankees ) I am not lying to say people have gotten beaten in the
Streets for wearing the wrong team shirt:yikes: Some have died.
How was your appointment today ?
Have a nice weekend,
Diana:friends::loveshwr:
 
Hi Dorothy @turtle68, Diana, Chris, Sue, Nancy, Jaki . Saw the OS yesterday. I said my little party piece just as I had rehearsed it. As previously he doesn't think it wise to consider further surgery. He said its not the best outcome in the world but its not that bad either, and further surgery could make things worse. I asked about an MRI scan. He said not a good idea because my knee is metal. I mentioned seeking a second opinion. He was quite happy for me to do so and said he would include this in his letter to my GP.

He may have been clutching at straws, but he seemed to think the difficulty I have walking could be down to my bend not being very good. He measured it at 105. He said improvements can continue for 2 years, and because of this thinks I should try hard with stretching exercises to get another 5 degrees of bend. He thinks that will make it feel less tight and therefore more comfortable.

I also asked him about the compression sleeve that I wear. He didn't think it was doing any harm, and therefore said I should continue to wear it if it helped.

My knee functions although it is uncomfortable, but not the the point where I have to take pain killers. When I am in bed or not using my legs there is no discomfort at all. Given this and the fact that the prospect of further surgery frightens me, I will probably just accept what I've got. I will try more exercise in the hope that increasing my bend will help. Although as I have nothing to lose by getting a second opinion I will pursue that.

And that's about it. Oh one last thing. I asked the OS why I hadn't had a good outcome given that there was nothing unusual about my knee, the op went well, no infection, no excessive pain etc. The only thing he came up with was that he remembered my knee being in a very bad state when he opened it up.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little tale of woe. xx Carol
 
OK I can goop, my date has been changed :wowspring::wowspring:I won't though :heehee:

chuckle.

Hi Sue Yes I got the Mohs surgery (21 May). The reconstruction (carried out by a plastic surgeon) on the 23rd sounds rather grand but all it is is a skin graft to close the wound. I am not anticipating having to stay in hospital. I am busy getting all of my jobs done because I don't know how I will feel/look afterwards. My husband thinks it will be easy, but I am a glass half empty kinda girl. I am worried about infection. To go 2 days with an open wound seems risky, especially on my head where hair can harbor bacteria - I'm just hoping they know what they are doing and not being governed by admin and availability. Carol
 
not car...."cah".....not park..."pahk"

Hi Diana, tried saying cah and pahk. It didn't go well. I suspect its one of those things you have to hear. I can do a great New Jersey accent because I have watched every episode of the Sopranos about 5 times.

Have a wicked weekend. x Carol
 
@patient 99
Hello Carol,
I told you before, we shouldn't settle for 2nd best :no-fin: We will both get to where we need to be.:friends:
I think it's great you are getting a 2nd opinion, if that comes out fine, the only thing that will help
Is Time & patience.
Hang in there my dear friend...... The "promised Land" is just around the corner :happydance:
Thinking of you,
Diana:wave::loveshwr:
 
It's Wicked Awesome Weekend :rotfl:

Ooops. Will try it out tomorrow. Don't know how it will go down in down town Tunbridge Wells. The TW folk are a conservative lot. On a point of detail when you say it do you have to flick your wrist at the same time - like I've seen the cool dudes doing? Carol
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
I need to be where I can go for a long walk, without my leg muscles screaming :groan:
I am walking faster, & I do walk everyday :happydance:I just planted 2 gardens today & did a lot
Of yard work :yes!: I honestly have nothing to complain about.
My "Promised Land " is a land of Flowers, my Cats:catbutterfly:My :dogwalk: Working & my
Family. I'm thinking of adding a bit of :martini:Since I don't drink.
Carol, If I may ask......you said, your knee wasn't that bad before replacement. Why did you have
Surgery ? I did because I couldn't walk :shocked:
Sincerely,
Diana:wave::loveshwr:
 
@patient 99 do you have a long weekend this weekend? We celebrate Victoria Day on Monday so I was assuming you would have the same holiday. Sorry to hear you are still having issues. I do hope they get sorted out.

@new knee in June you have your Wicked Awesome weekend next weekend with Memorial Day right?

I did some gardening today as well...vicariously, through my 15 year old son who is the most helpful of my three boys :) He got a lot done - I am so blessed.
 
My "Promised Land " is a land of Flowers, my Cats:catbutterfly:My :dogwalk:

You are a very wise woman - but you already knew that:heehee: . You have your `Promised Land' and you know and appreciate it. This being a knee forum not a psychology forum I wont go into details about my shortcomings. Enough to say that I was a somewhat ungrateful child and never lost the habit.

You asked why I had TKR when I said my knee wasn't that bad prior to surgery. I knew I had arthritis and 2 yrs before my surgery I went to have it checked. The surgeon said so long as I wasn't getting a lot of pain it was best to leave it. I then got 2 attacks of bone on bone pain. I was at work at the time and couldn't move. I went to the surgeon. He Xrayd it, said it was bone on bone and that I should now have the surgery.

So I suppose what I meant was that I didn't suffer in pain for years. As soon as the pain happened I had the surgery. And even though its not that good now I think it was the right call. The chronic discomfort is better than the 2 episodes of real, blinding, cannot move pain, which presumably would have kept happening more and more.

I'm thinking of adding a bit of :martini:

It doesn't sound to me as if you need it. Besides its milk and honey only in the Promised Land:angel:

ps: I have a couple of friends who talk a lot about themselves. I think I have fallen into that trap. So for the next 3.5 posts we have to talk about YOU. Then of course we can return to ME. xx Carol
 
Hi Carol,

I think I'm in a very similar boat to you. I too didn't have a lot of pain pre surgery. My surgeon said it was time when he saw my Xray and exclaimed "holy cow". Not only was it bone on bone, but the joint was quite flat and had spurs. He left my kneecap intact and said everything looks fine. I had a few issues on the way through. At around 6 months my joint started catching whenever it got swollen (I couldn't straighten my leg). That passed after about 2 months. I'm now 10 months out and I can do a lot more than I could prior to surgery but i'm still worried that it's not feeling as normal as it should. My knee still swells up daily, especially after any type of exercise (physio, cycling and horse riding) or after standing for any length of time. I also had a problem with standing still.. which is weird. After standing still with my leg straight for any length of time I get some pain when I bend it.. which only lasts for about 10-30 seconds.

On a positive note, i'm riding horses pain free for the first time in years (just need to ice afterwards), thats the best bit :)

Anyway, sorry for then rant... i'm just not sure if everything is as it should be. I was pretty active before and i'm not sure if I'm just expecting too much. I can live with where I'm at because, even though it feels awful some days, I can still do more that what I could pre surgery. I just have good days and bad days and I'm hoping that the good to bad day ratio will get better as time passes :)

Caz...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@patient 99
Good Morning Carol,
I'm sorry, but just 1 more post about you :heehee: I don't think you are ungrateful, you are
A caring, compassionate person :friends:Besides, your humor is hilarious :rotfl: You are wonderful
& kind to everyone on this forum. You are a seeker of truth & Knowledge.
Now, truth be told....this is a long recovery....I have faith that you will get better with time :happydance:
We all will:egypdance:
I had the same thing happen with my knee, both times getting up from the toilet:shocked:I couldn't
Move, I was locked in place, the pain was :yikes: I started sweating & feeling sick:sick: It was very
Scary.
The weather here in the "Promised Land" is beautiful:SUNsmile: So, a bit of gardening is in order:flwrysmile:
Then off to work.
Have a wonderful Sunday,
Diana :wave::loveshwr:
 
@pendek ,
Welcome to Bonesmart, sounds like you are having problems. Have you seen your surgeon? Also you might start thinking about a second opinion, a second pair of eyes is always helpful to determine what is going on.
Please start your own thread in the post op area, that way your answers and be directly answered to you, and you won't hijack Carol's thread. Lot's of people from OZ on the site, they may be able to help you locate a second opinion and navigate your health care system.
I am glad to hear you can ride horses, at least you have one part of your life back.
Good luck in your search for answers,
 
My knee still swells up daily,

First off Hello Caz. I haven't spoken to you before. When I read your message it could have been me writing it. Like you I wonder did I expect too much, but then you read posts where people say their knee is so good its as good or even better than their god given knee. Such is life. Lets me thankful neither of us is talking the R word (Revision).


I also had a problem with standing still.. which is weird

No its not weird. There's a book mentioned in the BS library (I've got it but can't remember the title). It specifically mentions standing as something that can be very hard to do.


I just have good days and bad days and I'm hoping that the good to bad day ratio will get better as time passes

I am definitely a glass half empty gal (unlike Diana from the Promised Land :heehee:), but even I would say that it DOES get better with time. Two reasons for this 1. it heals and 2. you come to terms with it, which means you stop being anxious and tearful and frightened. I'm not there yet, but I am a slow coach and the biggest baby in the world. If you showed me a horse and said get on its back I would run (hobble) a mile. So you already have a head start (get the pun:loll:). Its pathetic I know, but don't forget I've been dealing with this knee stuff for 15 months, it does something to your brain after a while - or may be it was always thus.


My knee still swells up daily,

How much does it swell and does it hurt. I still get swelling just below the knee. It doesn't hurt as such, but it does make everything feel tighter. My compression sleeve helps control the swelling.

@Pumkln is a physio therapist and knows a lot. She suggests a second opinion and why not. Better to be safe than sorry. But you have said that you are improving and being able to ride makes me think its a question of more time - up to 2 yrs for some of us. Hope some of this helps.

Stop by any time. Having your own thread is good for you, but I don't mind you cluttering mine up in the least. Best wishes. Carol
 
do you have a long weekend this weekend?

Hello Lisa, pleased to meet you. You are new. What's your story so far? I see you had a TKR on May 5. So you are right in the thick of it. Are you managing to get any sleep? Are you tearful? Do you wish you hadn't had it done? I'll have a look at your thread later.

No long weekend here, but I think there's a bank holiday at the end of the month. Because I am retired I don't particularly like public holidays - more cars on the road when I am out and about and more people trying to get drinks at the bar. Workers should be at work and leave everything nice and quiet for ME :snork:. Carol
 
I don't think you are ungrateful, you are
A caring, compassionate person

Ah shucks. So the time I told a newbie to give it time and it would definitely get worse, isn't being held against me. Jolly good. :good-bad:

ps: not trying to be pedantic but I think you forgot `gorgeous' when listing my attributes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom