TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@patient 99
Pleased to meet you as well. Quick story. Osteoarthritis diagnosed in 2009. Former runner - had to stop. Pain worsened. Cortisone shots in both knees on a regular basis. Got to the point where the shots were no longer working. Surgeon recommended both knees be replaced. The quality of life was no longer there. Always in pain. Other issues were sprouting up as a result of constantly limping. Surgeon kept recommending TKR every time I went for shots. Finally bit the bullet.

I metabolize pain meds quickly so it is a challenge to get things sorted out. I did not sleep much during the first week. My OS upped my meds and seems to be getting better. Have not been overly tearful but I did just have a melt down. I hate asking others for help for the most menial things. I also hate sitting around so much.
This forum is helping me a lot - mainly with expectations. I did not know what to expect so it is very helpful to hear other people's experiences.

Love your comment on workers leaving things quiet for you. I tell my parents who are retired to stay in the house during rush hour. Retired people should have no reason to be on the road when the workers are trying to get to work :)
 
Hi Carol, Yes I have been busy but mostly just lazy. I got results back from my endoscopy biopsy and I have candida esophagitis. Exotic, right? Anyhow I think the medication for that is making me tired, and I have to have another test tomorrow. Nothing serious, but it does explain a lot about my fatigue. And, yes, I'm still managing to enjoy myself along the way.

It sounds as though you have been busy. You handled the OS visit very well, but I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. My surgeon told me my knee would continue to get better for 2-5 years, so maybe we will reach Diana's Promised Land. I do think exercising is helping a lot. One class I do is Chair exercise and yoga and I always feel so much better after that. Lots of stretching, etc. but you're really not sitting on a chair for an hour, it's mostly used for balance.

Are you washing your hair twice a day in preparation for your surgery? I just got a haircut and style which requires a lot of goo so I will fit right in on goo day. Quiet weekend here with gorgeous weather, and low humidity, so just going to relax and enjoy it. Next weekend is Memorial Day, so we're having a big family picnic on the lawn. Should be fun, I do enjoy seeing someone younger than 55 occasionally.

Will be thinking of you, as always, and glad you got the MOHS and reconstruction surgery.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy:flwrysmile:
 
@patient 99
I didn't forget Gorgeous :skep: I thought you already knew that :heehee:May I also add :
Charming, talented, gregarious,generous, warm, seeker of Wisdom, & you look
Damn good in a Blonde wig :rotfl: You my dear, have got it all !!!!!!
Sincerely,
Diana :wave::loveshwr:
 
I have candida esophagitis.

Hi Dorothy, Oh isn't it a pain. If its not one thing its another. According to google candida esophagitis is often the result of a weakened immune system. Are you missing a spleen or something else that reduces your immunity?


My surgeon told me my knee would continue to get better for 2-5 years, so maybe we will reach Diana's Promised Land.

I think these OSs are playing a game. Its called `Move the Goal Posts'. I can't be doing with it. I am going to see if I can get into the Promised Land now as an illegal. With a bit of coaching from Diana I could go undetected for years - forever even. All you have to do is refrain from alcohol, adopt a 100% positive attitude, think you are the best thing since sliced bread and be kind to puppy dogs and cats.
I could do that - I THINK:no-fin::no-fin: Do you want to come too?


Next weekend is Memorial Day, so we're having a big family picnic on the lawn. Should be fun, I do enjoy seeing someone younger than 55 occasionally.

You must have more public engagements than the Queen of England :cheers:. I know what you mean about appreciating the young. Everything about them defies gravity. Best not to dwell. xx Carol

ps: if you are coming with me to PL, you will have to sneak aboard a lorry in the dead of night. Just thought I'd better warn you. Hugs and bugs.
 
Surgeon recommended both knees be replaced.

Hi Lisa, Does that mean you will have the second knee done shortly? My right knee isn't all that good, but so long as I am not getting pain I wont be going under the knife again any time soon.

What struck me about your message is that you sound pretty cheerful. That's no small thing at the stage you are at. And NO tears :wowspring: Are you using a walker or sticks to get around?


Retired people should have no reason to be on the road when the workers are trying to get to work

chuckle. Are you familiar with a film called Soylent Green? All the oldies were rounded up and never seen again. I found it shocking at the time. But the older I get the more I can see merit in it :holysheep:. Carol
 
Hi Lisa, Does that mean you will have the second knee done shortly? My right knee isn't all that good, but so long as I am not getting pain I wont be going under the knife again any time soon.

@patient 99 Yes, I go in again on July 3rd. I wish now that I had done both at the same time but it is too late now :) I am using crutches and a cane but I use the walker at night more for safety and security.

chuckle. Are you familiar with a film called Soylent Green? All the oldies were rounded up and never seen again. I found it shocking at the time. But the older I get the more I can see merit in it :holysheep:. Carol

I am not familiar with that movie but I will see if I can find it and have a look.

Enjoy your day!
 
@patient 99
I didn't mean for my post to be "Tongue in Cheek" I find you all of these attributes &
More :loveshwr: Now, you don't have to be an illegal to come to the "Promised Land ":no-fin:
The boat leaves at 8:00 :capn:I'll pick you up. Please don't call Josephine :shocked:I promise
I'll be good :heehee:
Sincerely,
Diana:wave::roseshwr: P.S. Bring your blonde wig, You will be sitting next to "Wally, the Whip":rotfl::rofsign:
 
I have found my hair goop, says it is great for spiking! :yikes: my hair will look a little like this poor fellows.
:heehee::bolt:
 
Can I come please to your nice place @new knee in June ?

I am a tad miserable, I had my maintenance therapy today, therapy is the wrong word really, at least it was today and I expect for a few days. Paris looks like being off.

Anyway, on another note. I think my knee is probably like yours Carol. I have great hopes for the future, but the year 1 anniversary is not going to be a magic recovery.

On another note, I've been looking intently at boats and some seem to have steep steps....well does your boat @new knee in June??:loll:
 
@patient 99 I think my immune system has been very weak because of all the antibiotics I have been on, i.e.
IV antibiotics for pneumonia 2 months before my TKR , and then for UTI's. I agree with you, I'm ready to go to the Promised Land, illegally, if necessary, but maybe I'm already there I just forget to look inward and realize how much better I am physically,mentally, and emotionally than I have been for a long time. Sweetgrass is a really good fit for me, I've made some good friends, and trying to have a little fun each day.

I was low on goop for my hair this morning, so must remember to pick some up for the big day. I better not be the only one who puts their picture on the forum. @Dabber Is your "maintenance" therapy a different kind of chemo. My heart goes out to you, and don't worry with the help of Carol and @new knee in June, we"ll find a way to get you down the steps to that boat if they are too steep.

Hope you''re not too anxious about your surgery - it sounds like you'll be in good hands, and I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy:flwrysmile::catdance::spider:
 
@Dabber,
Ask the cruise company if they have handicap rooms on the boats, they may have a few rooms that do not have so many steps.
Of course we could all come along help you with the steps, we will all be in a pile at the bottom of the steps.:heehee:
 
@Pumpkln

Hi Chris

Just wondered what you made of this:

On Friday I saw the surgeon who did my TKR. I asked him about having an MRI scan because I thought the problem was to do with the soft tissue. He said NO because my knee was metal. I have since spoken to a friend who said something which has shocked me ie, If my TKR is made out of titanium, this is a non magnetic metal and therefore there is no problem having an MRI scan!!!

I phoned the surgeon's secretary this morning and she has agreed to find out what my knee is made of and let me know. It may be that its not titanium, but if it is, I will have lost all confidence in my surgeon. I am in the process of getting a second opinion, but I will be even more desperate to have this if I think I have been given wrong information. Carol
 
Oh crikey! Do you know what implant you have? I know I can't have an MRI because of my pacemaker.

@turtle68 Maintenance therapy is one of the drugs used in the chemo, it's not exactly chemo....I had what is known as R-CVP, the C and V are chemo, the R is Rituximab (the one used in maintenance therapy) an antibody but it can be given on it's own for earlier stage cancer so really in layman's terms is similar but without the harsher side-effects.

Carol, wishing you all the best for your operation/s. :chillpill::flwrysmile::console2:

I only go in M&S food store and I don't think they do hair gloop, would salad dressing/ketchup have a similar affect do you think?? :heehee:
 
@patient 99
Hello Carol,
I'm thinking of you :console2: On the day before your procedure. I hope all goes well
Tomorrow:) I will post a "Goop" photo as soon as my daughter get's out of work.
I think @Dabber will be making a salad dressing for her hair :rotfl::rofsign:Do you have any
Thing pleasant to do today ? Something Fun ?
I put in for a Visa for you & Sue to visit the "Promised Land" so, pack your bags.
:doggie: :kittymilk: :flwrysmile:It' always :SUNsmile:In my Land !!!!
Sincerely,
Diana:wave::loveshwr:
 
Hi Diana, Managed a little dancing today and had a drink with my sister afterwards. I'll be pleased when tomorrow is over and done with. Then all I have to do is get the skin graft done on Friday and I'm home and dry - yipee. Really looking forward to seeing your goop photo. Even if I am feeling sorry for myself its bound to cheer me up. You know its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond the call of duty. I can honestly say that in my entire life nobody had been prepared to goop their hair for me. Flowers, chocolates, champagne, cards all RUBBISH in comparison to gooping.

Going to have an early night. SEE YOU tomorrow. xx Carol

ps: been meaning to check it out. When you talk about your back yard is it the same as a back garden?
 
Hi Carol,
Yes you can have a MRI with a replacement, I had an MRI of my ankle, 6 weeks after my primary TKR. I had a smith and nephew genesis II. He should have ordered a blood test for inflammation, and a bone scan or CT scan to see what is the problem. Glad you are having a second opinion. It may be time to change surgeons for your right knee.
Good luck with your procedure tomorrow, otherwise known as goop day for the rest of us.
 
My understanding of the MRI and knee replacement issue isn't that you can't have an MRI, but that the metal in the knee can cause distortions. So if the MRI is on a different body part - like an ankle or spine or head - I would think it's not a problem. But if the area is close to the knee, then any distortions would make the film difficult, if not impossible, to read accurately. That makes sense to me but does anyone have any idea if that's true?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom