TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said NO because my knee was metal. I have since spoken to a friend who said something which has shocked me ie, If my TKR is made out of titanium, this is a non magnetic metal and therefore there is no problem having an MRI scan!!!
Your surgeon is wrong! So also is your friend!

The scanner, being something like a gigantic camera, just has to have it exposure adjusted - it's called the MARS protocol. It's explained in here MRI scans and joint replacements.
My understanding of the MRI and knee replacement issue isn't that you can't have an MRI, but that the metal in the knee can cause distortions. That makes sense to me but does anyone have any idea if that's true?
Nope - see above
 
it's called the MARS protocol.
Thank you Josephine. I am in the process of getting my GP to send me for a second opinion and I will raise the issue of having an MRI scan. I've asked to be seen by Peter James or Andrew Porteous - your recommendations. I am blessed to be so well connected. xx Carol
 
@patient 99 This is as goopy as I could get. Thinking of you and looking forward to seeing some really outrageous photos from @new knee in June @Dabber and @Pumpkin.Hugs and Bugs Dorothy:roseshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
    image.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 204
This is as goopy as I could get.

Dorothy, thank you for going to the trouble. Your photo isn't goopy at all. Its nice. You look nice. I got my friend to take a photo of me but its too horrible for words.

Hi Diana, Sue, Chris and all. Stage 1 over and done with. All went well - so far. I am sitting here wearing a skull cap made out of a bandage type material. The cap keeps the dressing in place without the need to put something sticky on my hair which would be hard to get off. It works well, but as you can imagine looks terrible.

A bit tired so will have a nap now. Thanks for all your good wishes - they seem to have worked. xx Carol
 
Here is my goo hair!
goo.JPG

You are mad. I am really touched that you would go to this trouble for me especially when you are still in recovery. It has cheered me up so much. Also its good to be able to put a face to the person. You look like a lady who knows how to have fun. Thanks Chris xx Carol
 
What follows is an extract of the letter my surgeon wrote to my doctor following my visit on 16 May:

` She wanted to see if there was anything further that I thought might help her. The honest truth is as she has a 100 degree of flexion I do not think further surgery is indicated. I do not think that an MUA would be successful and I do not think that her symptoms are bad enough for an open arthrolysis. An arthroscopic arthrolysis is possible, but in my experience it is rarely really successful and increases the risk of infection.

My own feeling is that if she were to work hard with stretching exercises and gain another 5 to 10 degrees of flexion, then she would be more satisfied..........................'


You notice there is no mention of an MRI scan to check the soft tissue. No mention of infection; No mention of poor component positioning or sizing; No mention of inadequate soft tissue balancing - all things that could be causing me to stiffen up and make walking increasingly difficult.

The sooner I get the second opinion the better.
 
Off for stage 2 of the skin cancer removal. For the last 2 days I've had to wear a bandage in the form of a skull cap. I then tie a scalf around it. Its amazing how quicker it is to get ready in the mornings when you don't wash your hair:heehee:

BTW I googled arthroscopic arthrolysis because my surgeon had said it was a possibility, although he didn't advise it for my knee. The google search threw up a number of interesting reads (including one in the BS library). Interesting in that several of them spelled out some of the causes of stiffness following TKR. It splits the problems into 2 ie, implant faults and soft tissue problems. Thought I would flag it up in case anyone is interested. Carol
 
I hope the procedure went smoothly for you.
 
Josephine, what's your views on chiropractors? And have you heard of the Gaston Technique to treat scar tissue in TKRs. Carol
 
I hope the procedure went smoothly for you.

Hi Kneeper, just got back from the hospital. The Mohs surgery was on Wednesday the reconstruction today. Its all a bit early to tell. I am concerned at the moment about my neck. The plastic surgeon took skin from my collar bone for the skin graft. This has left me with a tight neck, which means its uncomfortable to move my head. But fingers crossed that is temporary. Thanks for asking.

After such a disappointing outcome with my knee I have no confidence in anything. Carol
 
@patient 99
Dearest Carol,
I am so sorry I was late with "Goop" day :doh:Thinking of you & hope all is well :)
Here's my "Goop" picture
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 185
Here's my "Goop" picture
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It looks for all the world as if a seagull just flew past, and you are thinking `just sometimes the Promised Land aint all its cracked up to be' . :snork::snork: Thanks for taking time to make me chuckle. I took my photo, but I looked like I'd just left the set of Michael Jackson's Thriller video. I couldn't bring myself to post it.

I'm housebound for 7 days now until the blue gunk they have put on my head is removed. I'm not allowed to cover my head and I couldn't be seen in public with it exposed. So I am going to have to find lots of things to entertain myself. @Dabber Sue just this little taster of being indoors all the time makes me realise just how hard its been for you.

For starters I've decided to excercise every hour (little and often), in the hope that I might be able to knock this stiffness out of my knee. I'm concentrating on stretching exercises. Carol
 
@maryo52
Hi Mary, I wondered if you knew if it was possible to break down excessive scar tissue or adhesions by stretching exercises alone? Message No. 1649 gives some background. Carol
 
Carol,
My Mother had a huge 3 inch diameter of skin removed to the bone from the side of her face, between her eye and her ear. It has healed beautifully, and is covered by her hair. No one notices unless it is pointed out.
She recently had a skin tag removed and in no uncertain terms let the MD know he was not doing that again.
She had invasive squamous cell skin cancer, it was spreading and heading for her brain, so had to go.
 
@patient 99
Good Morning Carol,
I am glad you got a chuckle from our "Goop" pictures :giggle: I do look like a seagull
Just flew over head :rotfl: Are your procedures over for this now ? Do you have a date for your
2nd opinion yet ?
I am thinking of you :friends:& hope you are not in any pain :angel:
Love,
Diana:loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom