TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana, bet you can't beat this - I'm so cool I get chilblains on my toes :heehee:. Definitely not a candidate for `sparking currents' - mores the pity. C
@patient 99 First of all, what are "chilblains"? I'm having a pedicure next week and need to know what they are. Glad to hear you had a good time I mean midnight?, you really outdid yourself and dancing:dancy: Yeah,
Doing fine hear, I have definitely been pushing myself, and you know it's okay. I've been in hyper mode and really have kept myself busy with projects around here, etc. We had Chinese New Year Celebration here last weekend and it was really fun and the entertainment was great. And we never have to worry about staying up too late here because the events are usually from 6-9 or so. We did go to some neighbor's home for coffee afterwards.

Getting ready for cruise and just so excited to get away, see some blue water and white sand beaches - Maybe I'll even stay up late for a show and a dance or 2. :yes!:

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, chilblains is a mild form of frost bight. I have poor circulation. In cold weather my feet can get particularly cold and it damages the skin. When you look at a few of my toes they have purplish circles. This damaged skin can be quite sensitive. A couple of weeks back I walked in the park for about an hour. It was particularly cold and that's when it happened. Its OK now. What's the American word for it?

What's the actual date of your cruise and how long are you away? Make sure to tell me which place you like best, not that I have any plans for a Caribbean cruise, but I'd find it interesting to hear your views. By the way did you find the shoes you wanted?

The best thing I found about staying up late was that when I did go to bed I slept like the dead. I put my head on the pillow and knew nothing until the alarm went off. Its just occurred to me that perhaps the best way to recover from TKR is to be doing something really enjoyable. I know that's out of the question in the early stages, but now I think its what's needed. So that means, Dorothy, that we will both have to work very very hard at having the very best time we can :cheers:. If I come up with anything I'll be sure to let you know - and you can do the same for me. The weather is against me this time of year, and its particularly horrible just now, but spring is on its way.

I've noticed I am starting to put weight on. I was very thin last year. But what do you Americans say `there's no such thing as too thin'. I'll have to watch it though, because I'm sure its not good for the knees.

Take care. xx Carol
 
Hello Carol @patient 99
I think you have made a wise decision, Dancing, staying up late, & enjoying life:happydance:It's the
Only way to go....Not thinking about our knees 24-7. One day we will not even think about "knees"
Won't that be a wonderful day:dancy:
Here's to many dancing days ahead:martini:
Take Care,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Carol @patient 99 Just dropped in to see if you were back, pleased you had a good time.

How is the bathroom coming along?

I'm managing a small daily walk but after about 5 mins today seriously thought Dh would have to run back for the car, but I managed it.

Not really getting consistant alerts from BS so just search for a few friends to see if they've written anything.
 
  • Carol, no I guess I don't want chillbains, maybe some sparkles. We leave for the cruise on the 25th of January and return on 1st of February. We stop at Cozumel, Mexico, then Belize and Honduras, which are in central America. I've only been as far as Cozumel, we don't have any paid shore excursions planned, but will probably just hire someone when we get off the ship to show us around. This is all Western Carribean, and we leave from the Port of Houston, which is about 40 miles away.
Yes I found some ballerina type shoes (Clarks USA), just trying to put clothes together because it will get warmer (yeah) as we go South. My knee has been acting up a little bit - I find wrapping it helps a little bit. Going to water exercise this morning and will let you know how that turns out. I think you're right - it's not going to be some magical thing at 1 year, but will still have healing going on. But like you, I've decided the fun I can have is worth the pain the next day, and a good night's sleep always helps me to recover. Also gaining weight here, but trying to maintain. I had no appetite for so long with the depression but it's back full speed ahead, and now I'm going on a cruise. Will have to keep dancing into the night.

How did the bathroom turn out? Would love to see a picture. Hugs, Dorothy
 
One day we will not even think about "knees"

Hi Diana, I think I've been thinking knee for so long that it could now be a habit. I'm not suggesting that my knee is fully recovered and its all in my head - far from it for 11 months. Today I found walking difficult. I had a constant ache at the back of my knee. But what I found when I was on holiday last week was that I could ignore the knee for longish periods, particularly when sitting down. This makes me think that thinking knee has become a way of life.

If I could be on holiday all the time or doing interesting things all the time I guess that would enable me to break the habit, but my life isn't a constant merry go round. Its the usual stuff. So if you or some of the old timers have any tips on how to stop thinking knee please let me know.

What's the longest you have gone without thinking knee (excluding sleeping)? Carol
 
Just dropped in to see if you were back, pleased you had a good time.

Hi Sue, I can honestly say that those 4 days away were the first time I had enjoyed myself in 11 months. Not to get too carried away, it wasn't really a true indication of my being back to normal. Warners is like a static cruise ship, everything goes on under one roof, you don't have to go out ever. This meant that if I felt tired I was only a minute or two away from my room. Walking around was all on carpets and I could stop and sit when ever I wanted to. All this is in stark contrast to previous holidays when I was on the go all the time - climbing hills and walking miles. But we've got what we've got and that's for sure. No good looking backwards.


You said you now manage a 5 min daily walk. Is it hard separating out tiredness due to knee from tiredness due to cancer? Or may be that's irrelevant. Tiredness is tiredness.

You know what I find the hardest thing of all about TKR? Its never knowing if my knee will ever get to the stage that normal life can be resumed. Any thoughts on how one deasl with that one Sue?

ps: new bathroom into week 2. Gave me one stressful, sleepless night, but problem sorted now. Shoe fitting on the 26/27 Jan (I think). That will be interesting. xxx Carol
 
We leave for the cruise on the 25th

Hi Dorothy, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you have a lovely time and the knee behaves itself. I firmly believe that so long as we can keep our heads in order that we can cope with anything.

Going on a cruise is not the time to think about weight watching. I tend to think that a bit of over indulgence is good for you, and if its just for a few days its not going to do any harm. On the 2 cruises I've been on, one meal seemed to flow into another. But its like eating too much chocolate, you quickly get sick of it and get back to eating as normal.

My knee was bad today too. I had an ache at the back of the knee which made walking uncomfortable and tiring. There are days when if I bumped into my surgeon I think I would cheerfully kill him. But that's against the law. Funny that, when chopping up women's knees isn't:scratch: Its a crazy world - but I'm happy to be in it:yay: all the same. hugs Carol

ps: @new knee in June mentioned she is one cool dude. What's the coolest thing you (and Sue) have ever done?
 
I've never been on a cruise, trying to persuade Dh though! You'll have to let me think about one cool thing....I'll get back to you. We're going away to the hotel for a weekend this time so I'll let you know when we get back.

Tiredness and pain....my knee is really troublesome. I don't know whether to see the OS or sit this one out. My leg is swollen with the effects of the cancer and it affects the knee, I have a compression stocking that helps. I'll speak to my nurse on Monday, my teeth and nails are changing colour too, to a not very flattering black, that's the chemo. Yes, I can tell the difference between cancer tiredness and knee, but my knee is painful again, swollen and clunking; I'm only taking paracetamols, there again will have to ask my Macmillan nurse if I can take stronger meds. Cancer tiredness is overwhelming and you can sleep and wake up as exhausted as you were before.

Actually am a bit of a wreck when I think about it! The pacemaker is working well :heehee: Not much else is!:umm:However I am feeling better physically in general than I was in Sept/Oct. Mentally am OK!

I think this is the only place where I can try to explain the complexity of the situation....people now forget I had the knee done, but the poor mite is only 7 months old! They can appear surprised when I say my knee hurts! :what:

Have you bought Season 5 of BB?
 
.people now forget I had the knee done

Hi Sue, I think that happens with most everything. I always remember a friend of mine whose husband died. After the funeral she said now is when the worst part begins. She meant that all the help and support she's got in the early days would cease and she'd have to cope alone, or if not alone, with much less support than she had been getting.

It happens on BS too actually. Newbies get a lot of support from Management, but as time passes it decreases. It has too, otherwise Management would have to get bigger and bigger. Also our own personalities play a part. I don't talk about my knee and the effect it has on me nearly as much, because I don't want to burden friends and family month after month after month.

The hard thing about this is that if something is still bad you still want the care and attention that you used to get. I guess that's when you have to dig even deeper to find your own strength.

When you stop the chemo will teeth, nails, hair etc return to how they were? I wonder if/when they will find a cure for cancer. The human race has achieved so much in some ways and very little in others. I saw on the tv last night that they are now implanting a gene to cure some types of blindness. But it will take time. I thought that when they unravelled the human geno that it would be the solution to virtually everything. May be one day.

You always come across as a level-headed woman who copes well. But I know about the masks that people wear. I sometimes want to scream and say `why me' . Why did MY KNEE need to be replaced? Its not fair. Logically, I know `fair' doesn't come into it, things just happen. Its all a lottery. But as I've said I am not always logical :hairpulling:

This started as a message, if I'm not careful it will turn into War and Peace. Enjoy your hotel getaway and soak up all the luxury that's on offer. xx Carol

ps: and remember any time you want to scream, shout or whatever just send me a message:tantrum::hissy::groan::boohoo::sigh:
 
Thank you for your lovely reply Carol, @patient 99. You are indeed a kind and thoughtful if somewhat wacky cyber friend....and I like wacky!!
Truth is I haven't started BB yet, but I see it's up for best drama ever or something. Have you been watching the 3 episodes of Sherlock?
 
One cool thing, eh? I think maybe the coolest thing I ever did was leave home (from Iowa) to California 2 days after I graduated from high school. Got on the train by myself and didn't look back. Y'all have said so much that I don't think there's much I can add. Sue, I'm glad your pacemaker is working properly and keeping your heart rate where it should be. Mine does that most of the time but sometimes my heart speeds up and makes it change modes. Glad you're getting away to the hotel again. And as Carol said, anytime you want to scream, just holler.

It will be 11 months post op for me on Monday, and the knee is still a work in process. I have started exercising, went to water exercise yesterday, and chair exercise and yoga today. I thought it was interesting that my knee hurt the whole time I was in the water. Do you think maybe that's because it's harder to control your movements, or maybe there's just too much fat in my body which makes me too floaty? Really enjoyed the chair yoga and exercise, though. I wrapped my knee in an ace bandage, the instructor was very good and told us repeatedly to listen to our bodies. It all was very encouraging, so hopefully I'll be able to dance until midnight on board the ship.

We went to lunch today with our Travel Club. We really lucked out with moving to Sweetgrass. So many friendly, interesting and active people we have met. After my long bout with depression this summer and fall, I'm so grateful for all of you, because I truly don't think I could have gotten to the point where I am now without all of you. (that's all y'all in Texan). Carol, I think as far as eating goes I'm already in cruise mode. I weigh myself every morning but go more by how my clothes feel, but I'm just going to relax and enjoy everything I can. There are 74 of us going from Sweetgrass. Can't wait - 8 more days.

Just hope the knee behaves, but there's always ice, a nice refreshment, and a chaise lounge somewhere. Mai Tai's are my favorite vacation drink and vacation is the only time I ever drink anything other than a glass of wine. So hope you all have a good weekend, I will be on next week, but don't think we'll have internet on the ship, unless we want to pay for it.

Dorothy:yay::kittykiss:
 
kind and thoughtful if somewhat wacky cyber friend

chuckle. Kind - sometimes. Thoughtful - occasionally. Wacky!! I googled this one: ` funny or amusing in a slightly odd or peculiar way'. Also insane, far out, freakish................. This is the BIGGEST complement anyone has ever paid me. Sue, if you were a man I'd have your babies (cyber ones of course). You are now my blood sister (no arguments). Under ancient tribal law that means you can ask anything of me and I have to do it. Could I just mention that I am not awfully fond of housework or cooking or running errands, and my caring skills are poor. But anything else................................... Oh lets call a spade a spade. Dabs I am good at talking AND I'm a good listener. So there you have it girl. Snap your fingers and I'll coming hobbling. xx C
 
Good Morning Carol @patient 99
You asked if there was ever a time I didn't think about my knee:) At work I never think about my knee,
When I take a walk, when I play with my:puppysmooze: In the backyard. I will be 8 months on Feb. 3,2014
I have no pain while walking at all. I do still get stiff, if I sit to long, or it's raining ( like now) to walk
Pain free is a blessing & I can handle a bit of stiffness:angel:I am off to the gym with my daughter,
I seem to of picked up 20 extra pounds from somewhere:heehee: Are you missing any extra weight ?
I Found it !!!!!!:loll:
Have a wonderful day:SUNsmile:
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
I have no pain while walking at all.
Hi Diana, I am pleased for you, and I have to admit a little envious. Oh hum. Sorry I'm not missing any extra weight. I've got all I need and some. Found my appetite again in the last 5 months.

Its a big night for me tomorrow Diana. Elvis is in the building. Previously I am usually a little drunk and a bit disorderly at this annual event, but not tomorrow. Being drunk and disorderly is one thing, but being drunk, disorderly and in charge of a dodgy left knee is another matter. I wonder if Suspiciously E will be as good as I think he is. If not perhaps I can borrow your Warriors??

By the way you know you mentioned about being Mrs Cool. You never did give me an example??? Carol
 
Mai Tai's are my favorite vacation drink

I googled it. Sounds lovely. Dark rum is not that fashionable in England - although I think the kids in particular drink Bacardi. As there are so many of you going on the cruise from Sweetgrass its like having your own moveable party. What's the average age?

When I was at Warners last week I was a bit envious of the women (my age and older) who could dance all night, in heeled shoes. I thought that was me once upon a time. But I did more than I thought so that's positive. Make sure you stick to safe dances like the waltz, don't even think of doing any of that stuff Raqia highlights - unless you've had several Mai Tai's of course . xx C
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom