Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol, Had a good lunch in old downtown Richmond. It was delightful, and I met several women who live around the corner from where will be, even strolled through some shops and the thing that ached was my back.

Now home resting, and icing a little bit and took 1 tylenol. Life is good. I'm really pooped and it's only 3 p.m. and I haven't done anything but play a little.

It sounds to me like you've put in a full day as in 'cut the grass, food shop, and a walk in the park',' so hope you are relaxing and enjoying the rest of it,

Hugs, Dorothy
 
That's not fair, you can't mention my all time forever favourite film and expect me to stay away! West Side Story, we went to see the film with an orchestra playing the musical parts at the Royal Albert Hall for the 50th anniversary. We did modern dance to it at school. I doubt we'd manage much with our sticks and walkers though!
Jaki Mutley hope the move goes well, are you moving to the coast?
Carol patient 99 I imagine I'll not be doing much more than you are when I'm at 7 months.
I went to babysit grandson, was taken there and just had to stay whilst he was asleep and my son went on an errand, then decided I'd walk home, didn't have my stick, got 50 yards down the road thinking bad idea, carried on home, less than a mile. My leg is a tree trunk my ankle a sausage, icing and elevating.
Dabs :sleep:
 
Sue, modern dance... NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' :egypdance:
We have until 2015 and we'll push it back Carol if we have too, but those "sticks" are gonna be thrown to the floor, along with our walkers. We'll be His, We'll be His, We'll be History! :giggle:
 
Hi Sue, so pleased you couldn't stay away. I tried it once. I think it lasted 3 days. I was going to message you anyway, because you said you'd be reading but not writing. Its weird how somebody can be around for a relatively short time and yet when they go they are a terrible miss. Perhaps this is the answer, don't go, full stop. Just message a little less until you feel you're back ion form. I do hope what you are dealing with isn't too bad - you have enough on your plate.

You know its an odd thing, I really want everyone to have a great recovery, but I have to admit that I take some comfort out of knowing I am not the only one taking a long time.

Did you see Toothfairy's message to me (page 35). I found it so informative. Her tight band had gone and then returned when she had her second op. That suggests to me that the tight band syndrome is soft tissue playing up not a build up of scar tissue - something I've worried about. Scar tissue wouldn't go and come back. So may be there is hope that things will get better without any more interventions. xx Carol
 
Dorothy and Bionic Woman2. I am torn. I want to sit here having a chat to you both, but duty calls. Will catch up later. Carol

ps: I find it weird that people so far away can be in their kitchens and think of me. Its as if we air brushed out the Atlantic Ocean and a lot of solid ground. Neat trick isn't it. Now could you just pop over here and help me with the housework? C
 
Toothfairy, thanks ever so much for spelling it out for me.

You put the set back down to being LESS active. How Interesting, because sometimes the BS message is that many of our problems come from doing too much not too little. Following this train of thought, is it possible that Knee 1 is having to compensate for Knee 2, and the set back is in fact down to it having to work harder rather than inactivity?

Good morning Carol,
It is possible that knee 1 compensating for knee 2 is the issue but the stiffness started while I was in hospital and not really on my feet.
It may be a bit of both, lack of the regular exercise and stretching that I was used to and extra load due to compensating for knee two.
Whatever is causing it doesn't really matter as long as it settles.
This mornings knee one feels wonderful. No stiffness at all. No tight band feeling.
I will pay attention to what happens during the day and report back later.
Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Today I washed and dressed, did a quick food shop. Went to the park where I walked for just under a mile. Had a break then cut the grass - took about 30 mins. Prepared a light meal and now here I am. I wont do much the rest of the day, just watch a bit of TV, read, back and forwards to the kitchen for cups of tea. That's about it. I wouldn't have thought that was too much for 7 months 4 days. Would you agree?

Hi Carol, sounds quite a busy day. At the end of the day only your knee will tell you if it's too much. :shrug:
Sadly during the recovery we are ruled by the knee king :bow: who is a very fickle master.
I hope you didn't suffer too much after your exertions,
Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :bicycle2:
 
Hi Carol,

I think you did quite a lot. My physio said he was pretty sure I had no excess scar tissue, but I think the tight band is swollen soft tissue trying to break out of 65 year old skin (well I know it's not actually 65), my knee can still be quite tender to touch. My whole leg/foot is more swollen than ever but I'm having a bit of a "swell" time. I've swollen lymph glands, sufficient to be sent for an urgent neck scan then an ENT referral/biopsy. Now I've found other swollen glands so the whole whatever is happening isn't confined to ENT.

I'm giving up, going for the paracetamol, chocolate, elevate and ice route with a good magazine, maybe even the evil alcohol this evening and an Indian take-away sounds tempting. Dh is babysitting this afternoon, the baby has 2 unpleasant nursery acquired nasties, oh the joys of being 2, just wash your hands dear before coming home, the antiseptic gel is by the door!
Dabs :yawn::thud:
 
Hi Dabs
(well I know it's not actually 65),

How can your skin not be as old as you? When I was in my 20s I got swollen lymph glands. They took a sample from my neck which left me with a rather ugly scar. The funny thing is that when I went to get the diagnosis the doctor and nurse expected me to be really anxious and then relieved when they told me it was benign. I was neither. I hadn't given it a second thought. The joys of youth. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the results. Are you worrying?
 
sounds quite a busy day.
Honestly TF it seems like anything but a busy day to me. I usually have about 10 worries all on the go at the same time. One is that I am doing so little that my body (except for my tongue which gets loads of exercise) will get so soft and flabby that I wont be able to lift a finger.

If I stay indoors for a single day I start acting like a caged animal, pacing back and forth. I've been going to the shopping centre in Tunbridge Wells a lot, but I have to pack that in. Every time I do that I come with a bag (or 2). Its more money than I can afford. But so much has been taken away from me. Gardening reduced to 30 mins, tried but couldn't keep up with my dancing, can't have nights out as too uncomfortable etc. Its tough. Another thing THEY omitted to mention is the high risk of becoming an alcoholic during the recovery stage.

Indian food is a real favourite of mine, but sadly we are just that bit too far from our favourite restaurant for them to deliver. I said it was tough. I don't like chocolate in any shape or form. But I love nuts - particularly with a glass of vino. C
 
Life is good. I'm really pooped and it's only 3 p.m. and I haven't done anything but play a little.

You lucky, lucky, girl. I am so pleased you didn't go on to say that it made you feel guilty. The most important mantra of them all is `have fun whenever and where ever you can'. I am proud of you. Now the next thing is that you have to play even harder tomorrow - not to the point of pain, but close. Before you know it you will be an expert.
 
I was thinking how cells renew themselves but I guess in other ways the skin really doesn't change, we're never going to lose our scars are we. I haven't been for anything except the scan as yet when I was told it needed further investigation. I have an appointment next week.
It is frustrating living with limited energy and capability. I like to do OU courses and evening classes but it's all on hold, and I wonder whether I'll ever have the energy to go back to them. It's still early days for us Carol, 4 months for me, 7 for you. I think the big thing is after about 3 months the progress just seems much slower.
Chin up, we can only do our best.
I wish I lived near the sea. I might however plan a little redecorating this weekend, not actually start it but order paint and wallpaper.
Dabs :friends:
 
Carol, I understand exactly how you feel. I used to be a real whirlwind, would be out all day, working and then playing, after retirement. Maybe it's so much harder for you because you are so otherwise healthy. I want so badly so get "my perk back" as I call it, and some days I feel like it might happen. We had to pick up Deb's car this morning, so I put on my "big girl panties" as we call them and drove all over town. Then went to the suupermarket , had a bite, and now I'm icing, elevating, and going to read, and Carol, I don't feel the least bit guilty. We're going down to Sweetgrass tonight for "Hot Dog Night", so looking forward to that. The people are just so friendly and caring. They have a "heart-to-heart" group, where they help people in the neighbood when they have illness, etc. Kind of like our Bonesmarties only we do it through the internet.

Dabber - it's good to hear from you. I know how anxious you must be waiting for results and more tests. Just glad that they're checking you out thoroughly. A thought just occurred to me that when our bodies are under the stress of recovering from such a major surgery, other things just keep popping up. I know that has been the case with me.

Carol, if you like indian food, you should definitely come to Houston. There are many Indians here and many excellent Indian restaurants. I wonder how our Jaki is doing with her move, and Toothfairy it sounds like your knees will match up in no time.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Gosh, If I stay away for 5 minutes I miss 50 posts. I know it's the timezone thing. My P/T will be here soon, so I'm just gonna comment on what I've read and catch up later. First of all GOOD LUCK w/the the housework thing. I have two male monsters over here that clean down, the minute I clean up.:shrug: So I'm over it!

That suggests to me that the tight band syndrome is soft tissue playing up not a build up of scar tissue -
My P/t said that the tight band was my patella tendon. She massaged it real good and did break it up a bit. It's still a little tight, but nothing like before. However, I think the tightness has now moved to my knee cap. Feels like a have a brick in it (on my right knee.) My left knee is still a baby, so I accept whatever is going on there. Okay, let me go... I'm so exhausted. Had an AWFUL had yesterday, and apparently it's like a tv series because today brings it's own drama. Ai Yi Yi!

Opps she's here :scary:
 
Oh no I'm losing it. I got my replies mixed up. Sorry Sue, Sorry Toothfairy. Please excuse me I've got a bad knee.

Sue,
I was thinking how cells renew themselves[/quote
You are too smart.

I detect a forlorn note in your message. I can so understand. The waiting doesn't help, and weekends just seem to be there to make everything take longer. You know Sue, the bottom line is that nobody is really prepared for getting old and the health issues that come with it. This knee business can make you feel old overnight. It hits you like a hammer.

The answer has to be that we stop lamenting what we used to be capable of. Just let it go. And then focus on the things we can do. For example I now spend time messaging on BS. I never did that before my op. It gives me pleasure, comfort, support. Its not the same as when I used to go dancing, but its not worse, just different.
I am not for one minute suggesting that I have mastered this switch in thinking, but I am going to work on it.
How possible would it be to continue your OU work, but just at a slower pace? Are you artistic? Could you take up painting?

One more thing. There is also the possibility that we over glamorise our lives pre op. I know I used to have some pretty boring, rotten days back then too. But of course we focus not on that, but on the good stuff.
And look how many new friends we now have. We can talk to them morning, noon and night - they don't even complain if you mix your messages up. l:blush:

I hope all goes well next week. What day do you go? Carol
 
My P/t said that the tight band was my patella tendon.
Hi Bionic, given that its such a common problem I think everybody should be told by their OS exactly what it is and how to deal with it. Their is info. in the BS library on it, but I don't think it says what it is or how to get rid of it (but this may be inaccurate - I'll read it again).

I've been wondering around various BS threads today and you know what? you pop up in lots of places. Its easy to forget just how big BS is. I think I have regular contact with about 6 people - and you now makes it 7. But there are thousands of us.

People interest me hugely. What is it that draws some people together and not others? The straight answer is that they find they have some common ground I guess, or sense of humour. But its gotta be more than that. The Bonesmarties I message are all very different. Take you, we have only recently exchanged messages, but I really like you. You seem larger than life. I think you'd be great fun on a girls' night out. There may be a squabble when it comes to the music - but hey after a few drinks who cares? Carol

BTW how old are your boys? Do you think having kids keeps you young/in touch?
 
I think you're right Carol. I've certainly done substituting one thing for another in the past and it's good, moving on.
Re the OU I've asked for a year out but I'm not sure whether I will or even want to continue, major surgery has a way of making you focus on the truly important.
My operated knee has definitely taken a slide backwards, it's 2 ins larger than the unoperated one tonight and has sprung new ouchies around the back that I've never had before. I've iced it all afternoon, toes above nose and done foot pumps a little. All I've done today is gone to the doctor with my chauffeur (Dh) and been dropped off and picked up.
How is your office chair?
 
You seem larger than life.
Ha! How'd you know? Gained 10 more pounds since surgery. :heehee::heehee: Seriously, thanks Carol. I am an outside the box girl though. Once I realized that my personality was too big to fit in a box, I quite trying. It's liberating, but lonely at times. I am free spirit and I can have fun in a box! Really I can enjoy myself almost anywhere, maybe Hades.. that might be a stretch. :yikes::rofsign:

I am supposed to be taking NAP! Orders from my P/T. She even opened my window for a nice breeze and tucked me in with my "blankie" and what did I do the minute she left... :happydance::happydance:Jump backup because I needed something from the kitchen and log onto Bonesmart. Sick, I know. I say it's like online dating without the disappointment and heartache. :cry:

I'm going to take this nap before my son gets home from school. He's 17 and a senior and my oldest is 24. None of them BETTER NOT have any kids because they're still in my house. :hissy: My older son is working his way through school. They both graduate in May, so Mama can get her life back! I love them dearly, but I have given them my all. I would LOVE some grandkids once they're married and settled. Can't wait to love'em and give'em back! :egypdance:

OK, really going to sleep now.... Hi Sue Dabber :bicycle2:
 
The people are just so friendly and caring. They have a "heart-to-heart" group, where they help people in the neighbood when they have illness, etc. Kind of like our Bonesmarties only we do it through the internet.

Dorothy, it just gets better and better. When you make all these new friends make sure you don't forget your BS chums. A Hot Dog Night tonight. You aren't just getting a new house. You are getting a new life.

I have been thinking of Jaki too. Getting the internet up and running can take forever. But let's hope she's enjoying herself so much being off line isn't a problem. Carol
 
I say it's like online dating without the disappointment and heartache. :cry:

Lots of laughter. Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience? But I know exactly what you mean - I wont go into how I know but I do. Apart from a very few men, BS is without doubt a sisterhood. I think generally speaking men communicate in a different way - nattering for hours on line about any old toffee doesn't seem to do it for them - god are they missing out. Sometimes I am on the phone to my sister for up to an hour. My husband says what do you find to talk about, you only left her 2 hours ago (she lives 5 mins away). We never have a problem.

Boys of 17 and 24 - hard work I'm sure, although the older boy (or should I say man) must be all grown up now. Kids in this country are living with their parents for longer and longer because renting or buying a place of their own is so expensive. It must be hard for both sides. I was 17 when I left home and moved to London.

Anyway enough. Off to bed woman. Do as your PT tells you. Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom