THR EmEm starting the road to recovery

It's funny what you find humor in during recovery. Mastering the emptying of trash with a grabber!
Whatever amuses you....and us....will help get you through this craziness.
Best wishes for a great day of recovery @EmEm
 
Two week hipperversary! Went out to lunch at a garden centre with my sister cut slightly short by uncomfortable chairs but a lovely meal and a change of scenery.

Humour gets my family through most situations so please help me to find some in sleeping on my back. Miserable night fighting sore heels and ongoing back spasm. Going to bed with insulated lunch bag full of ice packs. Looks like I’m going upstairs for a picnic!
 
I remember. :sad:Back sleeping and my sore heels as I HAD to sleep with something rolled under my knees and heels rubbed because couldn't keep still. Someone gave me a sheepskin, apparently to prevent bedsores for older folks, and my step sister in New Zealand used them to lay her babies on. I laid my feet on them like double blanket thickness. Big help. No idea where you get one...this one just came my way.
Didn't seem to bother me in recliner. I lived in it for a month. 2-3 hours in bed, back to recliner.
 
@EmEm i hear you with those painful heels!! @Mojo333 has a good idea with sheepskin padding! It's a shame there is nothing on the market for this issue.... I know you are a graphic designer so must have a flare, maybe use your time at home to design a solution!!! ;0)
 
Hi @Welshgirl. Hope you are doing well. Don't know what time difference is but it is only 8 pm here and after a full day of work, just wanted to say keep healing well before I fall or in my recliner.
Tomorrow is going to be a good day.:loveshwr:
 
@Mojo333 Your post to @Welshgirl has landed on my thread!

Just had another walk and can manage well with only one stick. The wrist problem has forced the issue but I felt safe and could lengthen my stride. I also slept better possibly because I altered the timing of pain meds and OH remade the bed wth clean bed linen which was lovely.

OH is home now until Monday, yesterday was a long day on my own.

Have a great weekend everyone!
 
:blush: Oh my stars. Sometimes my brain slides after work.
Glad you will have some company and sleep is doing better.
I think you are doing super after only a few weeks but days alone certainly drag on.
Hope you have a great weekend @EmEm :SUNsmile:
 
Three weeks ago and I was just waking up in recovery. I could never have imagined what it was going to be like today. There have been so many firsts - getting out of bed, walking, shower, sleeping on my back, getting dressed, getting rid of one of the walking sticks, walking in the house with none etc. Yesterday's first was walking outside on my own. I used one stick and was cautious so didn't go far.

Thank you to @Welshgirl, @Gretel and @weezie who have shared the journey with me and have provided mutual support. Also to all the others including @Mojo333 @Layla @GrannyC who have commented here and have contributed to a great forum.
 
It sounds like you are doing great. I found it interesting how big a deal it was to accomplish some of those firsts you mentioned. Who would have ever thought we’d get excited over being able to get out of bed on our own, for example! Each week will bring more accomplishments and then after a couple months, you will feel like you have accomplished everything and can move on with absolutely no OA pain. It is just amazing! Enjoy your day!
 
Awww! @EmEm
What a lovely post. Your feelings of true appreciation come across. It IS amazing all the firsts you go through on this journey. It makes one pause and realize all we so easily took for granted. It is like a new beginning
of sorts.....a second chance without that horrid pain that held us all back, slowly chipping away at our life.

While coming to grips with the decision to move forward with replacement is an agonizing time for many, we are truly blessed we live in an era affording us the option. I know you realize this too. Once you walk through
that veil of sorts.....the unknown, it's difficult to keep on walking without extending a hand to others who need help walking through also. Many share that sentiment as you can see on this forum.

You sound great. I'm equally happy for each one of the Fab Four. You did it.....you made it!
Best wishes for a wonderful rest of the week!
 
@EmEm you are doing incredibly well walking in house without aid.. wow well done you :0)
With all of those 'first' certainly makes you appreciate everything we used to take for granted!
It's been a pleasure sharing this journey with you :0)
Have a wonderful evening :flwrysmile:
 
Yay for firsts...I felt the same. It's in my old thread somewhere.
Attitude is everything.
Yay for getting well:yahoo:
 
@EmEm you put it so well and you’re doing great! It’s quite amazing what we’ve all gone through!
 
@EmEm Hope you are staying patient with your recovery and doing well.
Happy wishes your way:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @EmEm
Just stopping by to say Hi!
I hope you're feeling great and stronger day by day.
You've been doing so well. I'm happy for you.
Best wishes for a relaxing weekend!
 
I just re-read my last post and it reminded me of coming home with a new baby! So far my 'baby' is not sleeping through the night but is otherwise doing well. I had a physio assessment on Thursday (suggested by hospital physio when I was discharged) which due to strange insurance issues was with someone who has no link to surgeon or hospital. Her first words were "We don't normally see people after hip replacement because usually they don't need physio." She was very encouraging and put me through a range of movement to see where I had got to in my recovery. I have now been cleared to walk without any aids but with the suggestion to have my stick with me outside if the ground is uneven or if there are lots of people around.

I can also now start walking upstairs normally but not a whole flight yet. The physio suggested going up a few stairs by standing sideways on, which I have tried and managed. Our staircase has 5 steps and then turns a corner so I can do the bottom bit normally and then revert to the slow method of one step at a time. Stairs are a big deal because I had to go up on my hands and knees pre-op.

I am now trying to protect my recovery time. I have been painting Christmas cards and not ready to give up the luxury of doing that during the day but I have found in the past few days that work-related email has been arriving. Probably inevitable because I am self-employed and customer's perception of how long I have been off work.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support especially @Gretel and @Welshgirl who had surgery the same day. I hope @weezie is doing well too. @Mojo333 @Layla @GrannyC - thank you for stopping by and being so encouraging!
 
So so happy for you and hooray for no pressure for PT. It really is a confusing issue for so many with mixed messages coming from all sides.
You are the poster child for a smooth recovery and listening to your body.
Great analogy about new baby...love, love:ok:
 
Wow @EmEm you are really flying ahead with your recovery, well done you :0)
I'm thrilled that you whizzing around without aids for the most part, i just hope Your sleeping pattern perks up!
I agree with the very strange comments from the physio however they have cleared you which is fabulous.
How wonderful painting your own Christmas card :0) hope you don't have to get back to work too soon, have a wonderful weekend :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Saturday Ladies!
Using the "bringing a new baby home" is such a great analogy in so many ways @EmEm There's an excitement mixed with feelings of apprehension. Something new you've yet to experience, wondering if you're doing things in the right way, even the fatigue is comparable!

I must say it's refreshing to actually hear a medical professional say hip replacements don't need physio. Too bad more don't echo this sentiment. It could save many the anxiety they feel over the aches and pains they acquire after being pressured into uncomfortable positions in multiple repetitions.

I must admit I had a little emotional catch in my throat In your stair climbing story. The thought of the pain and loss of mobility most of us suffered in multiple ways brings a new elation in doing such simple things we took for granted before our pain began. Reading that you had to climb the stairs on your hands and knees was the emotional part. What a blessing you no longer need to do that! I've mentioned somewhere on BS before that a
standout moment for me was driving to the grocery store and walking in to shop without a walking aid at four weeks post op. It felt so good! It was something that had become so painful that I hurried through the process just to find relief back in my car! In so many ways this surgery makes you pause and count your blessings.

What a wonderful hobby, painting Christmas cards. It sounds very relaxing.
I've so enjoyed watching the progress of the Fab Four, although we don't hear much from @weezie
It's been good for all of us watching you all jump back into life, each at your own pace. You are all thriving, sound great, are thankful and share a wonderful sense of humor. It's been a joy!
Cheers to the Fab Four!
@Welshgirl @Gretel
 
That’s great @EmEm :) I’m so happy for you. What a huge difference this has made to your life. It must have been awful managing the stairs pre op! It really is like bringing home a new baby. Hopefully bubs will sleep better soon! I had the best night I’ve had last night. I had to go to the toilet a couple of times but I slept six hours in bed!! Yippeee!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom