THR EmEm starting the road to recovery

Wishing you a great week of continued healing @EmEm
The Fab Four will be celebrating a one month anniversary this week!
Best Wishes to you all as you continue recovery. You're all doing great.
It's been a joy to watch your progress. Keep up the good work!
 
Four weeks ago today was a very strange day only a few hours before the operation. So many emotions going on mixed with a good dose of fear! However fast forward and look where we are now! All new 'hippies' recovering well, it's quite amazing!
So wonderful to be sharing this journey with the Fab Four :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
@Gretel @weezie
 
It is amazing it’s just four short weeks! I have to say I feel better than I expected. And it is lovely to share the day. Best wishes girls!
 
@Gretel @Welshgirl I was thinking the same thing....only four short weeks and the recovery has been better than I thought...hope you all have a Happy Halloween from your Hippy Sister xo PS @Layla Thank you for always being so positive and reaffirming! Totally appreciate it...hope life is treating you well!!x
 
So @weezie @Gretel @Welshgirl we have reached our 4 week anniversary. Along the way we have mastered crutches, walkers, sticks, grabbers and survived (but only just) back sleeping and no bending. Along with very supportive partners we have built pillow forts and cereal box bridges. We know the joy of a fresh ice pack and an afternoon nap.
So what will the next 4 weeks bring? For me, a phased return to work but as that's at home I have total control. I have realised I am not ready to retire completely so look forward to some structure to the days. I hope I will have mastered the stairs because that's my marker for a complete recovery. I'm being patient and can tell that it's getting easier to do the 5 stairs I'm limiting myself to.
I hope I will also be able to drive soon and most of all NOT SLEEP ON MY BACK!
I am hugely grateful for all that have offered support on this forum and especially for the surgical advances and skill that make hip replacements so successful.
 
Oh @EmEm I couldn’t agree more about the back sleeping! My latest innovation is using a spatula to apply moisturiser to my lower legs. They were so dry and with not being able to reach down I was getting very frustrated. Nothing like limitations to get you thinking!
 
Necessity is the mother of invention:heehee:
 
Loved your post @EmEm
It's been a joy watching you all progress.
It will be interesting to see how far you all come over the next month.

@Gretel The spatula idea was pretty wise of you! I had the same issue and
purchased something from Amazon that was comparable to a spatula type end
attached to a back scrubber length handle. It worked well for application but not
absorption. I'll bet the spatula works better.

Leenie60 a BS member once suggested Vaseline Intensive Care spray moisturizer. She said it works.
You spray it on and it absorbs easily.
CAUTION: she advised if used, to stand on a bath towel, or something washable as there is some fallout (over spray) and you don't want to slip on it. The thought of that alone scared me off
from trying it, but just passing on the info if interested.

Lotion application does get easier. I can't say it's like pre-OA and it may never be. I love Irish Joe's line that Mojo reminded us of about being 90% is still better than our pre-op state. It's so true!!
 
@Gretel I had to laugh at your post and had a funny visual with the spatula incident...whatever works!!! I have started to track my walking route on MyMapRun. Physio said to walk as far as I can, so I am able to walk 0.6km for 16 minutes...go even payment but a small hill to get me home. Feels so good to be outside and get a bit stronger. Although I use my walker when I do this route and me hubby comes with me....I am hoping for 5 days a week and then adding 30 seconds the next week. Its like a learn to walk/run program...have used this before and have been very successful...I hope you all had a good Halloween. So far the back sleeping has been okay for me, probably not so much for my hubby, as I am snorer with sleep apnea...plus a couple of years ago we invested in an adjustable bed, which has been a god send. That's about it my Hippy Sisters!!
 
Great news, no more back sleeping! I have just had my 6 week check-up (a week early) and can move on with everything. No more restrictions and no further check-ups. The surgeon was really happy with my progress and says I can return to work at my own speed. He was also happy with the incision and so am I.

The other good news is that I am now able to walk up stairs which was my personal indication of recovery because that’s what I really struggled with pre-op. The surgeon said that movement is one of the last to return.

Five weeks ago today I was just starting my recovery and have got to this point today just by walking. I have done no exercises!

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement especially @Gretel @Welshgirl @weezie @Mojo333 @Layla
 
Oh EmEm.....I love your post!
You are a perfect testament to what a life changer this surgery can be.
I'm so happy for you! I'll always remember the Fab Four. I've so enjoyed walking
with you all from the beginning. A great group of women you are.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend of continued healing :loveshwr::flwrysmile:
@EmEm
 
Ahhh EmEm that is amazing news I'm so thrilled for you :0)
Happy happy days :yay::flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
Way to go girl! Stairs can be tricky for me even now when my legs are super tired or sore. I hold the rail whenever I can, I'm klutzy.
So glad things are going well:happydance:
 
Well done EmEm! That is such fantastic news, keep on doing what you have been doing....isn't it amazing in such little time how far you have come..congrats girl!!
 
Congrats on your recovery progress, sounds like you are doing really well!
 
I think it is only fair that everyone should know that I'm not superwoman! I can still only walk outside for 20 minutes on mostly flat ground. I can walk upstairs normally but not every time otherwise my hip gets achey. I am working as of yesterday, but only 40 minutes at a time. I work at home so can have a walk around in between sessions. I'm only back at work because I have customers who are waiting for me, the downside of being self-employed!

Prior to surgery I had only had symptoms for 2 years and was walking unaided with no limp providing I was on flat ground. Also, I have been weight-bearing since day 1 after surgery because I have a cemented hip which means I have had 5 weeks of normal walking.

I spoke too soon about not sleeping on my back anymore. I discovered that I can't sleep on either side at the moment so had to reinstall all the pillows!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom