TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay, sounds like you have been busy and that you are enjoying your new knees. Sounds great. Keep on enjoying. Glad you are moving well. My knee was bothering me one day and I remembered how you use to lie upside down on your bed with the feet against the wall back in the day and I did the same thing and it felt very good. Take good care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:

@Ellejay , Congratulations on living wonderfully with two strong new knees! Your success story gives me great hope as my next TKR is coming up soon (two weeks!). I went horseback riding at 6 months post op from LTKR. My quad was still wimpy and I needed a mounting block to get on. I was also a bit stiff dismounting, but I had a great time anyway. I look forward to some beautiful rides next year in the Santa Barbara area. Thanks for the great update!

I had to pop in to say hello as it is my second knees first birthday today:cheers2: (the first one will be 2 in January!) It is still a little sore if I bend it too much, or stiff if I've sat down for too long, but the surgeon did say it takes 18-24 months to fully heal. I have the first knee as proof of that, that one has absolutely no pain at all.
After what seemed to be a long and frustrating recovery life is really good now, there is nothing I want to do that I can't do, I go on group walks twice a week and I'm always up the front with the leaders. I can cycle, I can ride a horse and I can even swim breast stroke again.I think the funniest activity must have been when during my grandsons recent visit, he built a den under the dining room table with a blanket and I was invited to join him in there to read him a story - and I could do it! A proper Grandma at last :yahoo:.
I was constantly fighting against what I perceived to be a slow recovery, kind friends on here must have been fed up with telling me to slow down, rest, give it time. So to all of you at that stage now, do listen to your friends doing the same for you, they are right.
I am going to attend the gait analysis session, mentioned on here, next Saturday. I'm doing so much walking it will be good to see if I'm moving correctly.
Good luck to everyone starting out on their knee journey, and for those of you two or three months out, which I think is the really frustrating time, when you feel you should be better than you are - hold on - life really does improve, but it takes much longer than we think.

Happy Ankneeversary to you @Ellejay. How fantastic to read how well you're doing. You're doing all the right things too. I love the fact you're walking twice a week in a group and playing dens with your grandson. We would never have thought it two years ago.

I can safely say my right knee is very good now too. Mine will be 2 years in January. It was a dreadful recovery physically and mentally but for the fact I had my other knee done this year, my right knee is almost normal. Never thought that would ever happen. It has it's moments. Yes it aches, it can be stiff but the dreadful all consuming pain I had has almost gone in that one. Btw hubby got me an electric bike. I'm praying my new knee will allow me to use it. I can't get my new knee into the position yet for the pedals as I have pain issues that are being looked at and treated.

Like you said patience is key. For some of us it is a two year recovery. I still laugh about the joint school saying everyone should be back to normal within three months. There are some very fortunate people out there who do. I genuinely am so happy for them, it makes me feel happy someone recovering so well.

It's so lovely to hear from you and thanks ever so much for your lovely positive update.

(((Big hugs)))

Love Ann xxx

Glad to hear you are doing well and are back to being a proper Grandma!
Up date us on how the gait analysis goes next week.
Thank you for the words of encouragement for those in the early days of why isn't this healed yet?

Hi @Ellejay Hello, lovely recovery buddy. I really enjoyed reading your post and how well you are doing.
You have been a busy lady over the summer and long may it last.
I am pretty good too, walking miles on my new knee and enjoying life. We're off winter walking to Austria after Christmas and so looking forward to it.

Have a lovely Christmas, Lyn, and enjoy those knees.

Mary x

Thanks for posting @Ellejay. It's good to hear how well you are doing and I'm sure it will give those in the early days hope and proof that being patient does pay off. :)

Thank you, Ellejay, for this post. My left knee has been very good, and at almost 8 months old, it's in remarkable shape, but I was beginning to wonder about a nagging achiness. You've confirmed I'm on a normal recovery trajectory, and I feel much better now.

Hi @SuperSnapper, lovely to 'see' you again. A walking trip in Austria sounds truly adventurous, isn't it wonderful what we are capable of these days? I hope you have a wonderful time. Lyn xx

@kneeper, I am so pleased to be able to give hope and support to others, I was given so much myself.
@PolarBear60, I'm glad if my post has helped, don't despair, I'm sure you too will be pain free soon. As I said, my first knee, now nearly two years old is just perfect, my one year old still reminds me it's a toddler sometimes, going upstairs can occasionally cause pain, but each month brings further improvements, and I know it will soon be as good as its older sibling. Take care, x

Thanks @Legin , good to 'see' you too. How are you getting on my friend?
Yes, life is very good these days, and you know what? I appreciate it so much more than I did before! I relish every step I take because I remember the pain I used to have but don't now. I walk wherever I can now, just because 'I can', I admit to taking the car before my knee replacements, just for convenience, but not anymore. It's a good job I'm retired and have the time to walk.
Take care,
Xx

Chortle good for you pal. Me I'm fine just battling on day to day as ya do

Legin THR Sep 14

I attended the Gaitsmart session yesterday- it was really helpful, I now know what I need to alter to perfect my gait so that all joints should be protected for the future. It was also lovely to meet @copsham & @Kelpie there.
I haven't been able to access the site all week, I'm using my daughters phone for this post. On my Mac, my iPad & my iPhone I just keep getting 'error 522' and have done for a week now - any ideas anyone?

Ellejay,
Thanks for the update about Gait Smart, glad you benefited from the screening. How long did it take to set you up and complete the screening?
There is a problem with some in the UK with access, they are working on it. Be sure to trouble shoot your devices.

Hi @pumpkin
I went to the Gaitsmart session and met Ellejay and Kelpie there which was a bonus. Last week I could not get on the site but this week I can. The set up of the session was very quick. The soft ware was already set up and it was a matter of putting velcro bands around the waist and three places around our legs. Then it was a matter of walking the length of a small hall while the app did the analysis. It was only a matter of less than 15 mins in total.

Today I used the information from the ananlysis to walk slightly differently when I was walking up and down the swimming pool. I ache but it feels because I stretched myself rather than damage done.

Thank you for all of the input you give Pumpkin I have learnt so much from you.

Hello everyone, hopefully the IT problems are over now, I've just managed to access the site for the first time in over a week.
@copsham has described the Gaitsmart session well, so I won't repeat what she said. I found it very informative and I will certainly be changing the way I walk, apparently my left knee (the newest one) is not bending as much as the right one as I walk, and I need to get them equal.
If I don't get back on here before Christmas I'd like to wish everyone a Very Happy Christmas, I hope all those knees (&chips) behave themselves over the holiday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562