Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

It was so good to read your recovery thread, I am nearly 7 weeks post op & struggling, thinking that I should be more forward in recovery than I am....it seems that everyone is different in how long it takes, so it is so good to read lots of people's threads. I was unable to go to the gait smart analysis day but I will go if there is another one in the uk as it sounds really helpful. It may have been too early in recovery for it anyway.
 
@suemegane - I so remember that time at 7 or 8 weeks, you think you should be better, after all another 4 weeks and you could be returning to work.....but.....you still gave no energy, those knees still hurt, help is rapidly disappearing as friends think you should have recovered by now. I know I used to get so despondent, thinking I'd never get my life back again, but trust me, you will, it just takes a long time, much longer than I expected.
@Celle , thank you for your good wishes, this last few days have really tested my knees, my son and family moved house today, I've been looking after the two grandchildren for a couple of days whilst mum & dad packed up, I've helped with the children / the move all day today and my knees are fine. I am so pleased with the result.
I hope you are keeping well.
 
Hi Lyn,
Yes, I'm well, thank you.

My knees are doing fine. We're off to Auckland on Monday, to spend Christmas and New Year with our son and his family. Our two little granddaughters will test my knees for sure!
 
I am feeling a bit more positive tonight, my partner Mike massaged the back of my knee & leg tonight it has made it feel so good. Decided to try saran wrap tonight which hopefully will help with pain (a tip from other forum members) I just need more sleep at night. Not getting up for the loo so much now so that is a good sign. @Ellejay was hydro therapy good when you had it, I was thinking of trying it to help with my flexion it's between 75/80 what do you think?
 
Hello @suemegane
I found hydrotherapy about the best thing ever at your stage of recovery. I paid for two sessions with a physio in the pool with me and then continued doing the exercises twice a week on my own. Our local pool has a children's pool which is open to adults only between 7 &9 each morning, it was a bit of a shock getting up so early, but it was well worth it. The warm water was ideal, and the depth was just right to do some of the bending exercises.
If you are interested I'll send you a copy of the exercises I used to do, but I can't guarantee them before the new year, the next two weeks are very busy. The very best one involved a child's arm band on your foot/ ankle, standing at the side and bending your foot back towards your knee and then slowly straightening. Or just raising and lowering your leg in the water, using the 'ankle' band as resistance. Do take care - there is a very funny story on my thread about what happened when I put arm bands on both feet and nearly drowned myself as my feet rose to the surface and my head sunk to the bottom :heehee:. It is also very difficult to put the band on your foot when you have a knee that won't bend. When I was with the physio she did it, but on my own it was a real struggle. One of those children 'noodles' is also very good to use, to tread down on, and to support you in the water whilst doing slow cycling movements.
I certainly improved in leaps and bounds once I started hydro exercises, but don't overdo it, it seems you are not doing much but of the water resistance you are actually doing a lot, and can easily become an instant member of ODIC.
Good luck and Happy Christmas,
Lyn xx
 
In my opinion and experience of two TKRs you are a miracle. Needing so few painkillers must be wonderful, and prevent all the problems a lot of us have with constipation. The fact that you can do the stairs so early too, and have almost no pain in the day is wonderful. I think you should rename yourself wonder woman. I am almost 5 months now, and still on paracetamol, and still have some pain, although as I am almost back to normal activity wise that may be the reason. Anyway good to see another Brit has joined us. Merry
Christmas.
 
I just had to share...my two knees, the 18 month old and the 2 1/2 yr old one, behaved impeccably and have just got me through a two week walking holiday in Snowdonia and The Lake District. I even managed to get to the summit of Helvellyn (I tried to include a picture but it said the file was too large).
We walked for five or six hours each day and my knees didn't complain or twinge at all. The only problem was that although I now have a good bend, some of the steps I had to manage (up or down) proved a bit too big, and at times I had to resort to hands and knees ( and sometimes my behind!)
I am so pleased with myself, back in those 'dark days' of recovery I never imagined that I would be able to do this ever again, so I just wanted to share with those who are still going through the recovery process, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
@Ellejay, Lyn, i'm so glad to hear your holiday went well. Its so good that you achieved what you wanted to do. I just hope that I will be able to do the things I want to do? I suppose it's still early days for me at 8 months. You have given me hope that I will be walking for long distances hopefully next year.
 
For those of us just starting out on our journeys, this such good news. We know we have this same thing in our future!
 
Hi Lyn

Oh I'm so totally proud of you. You've done so amazingly well. I'm going to be staying in Patterdale which is very near to Helvellyn. Before my knees completely went, I walked a good bit of it. The Lake District is awesome. I have climbed Cader Idris in Wales too. The blue lake in the basin at the top is beautiful. Maybe like you I may be able to do this again too one day :prayer: X

Well done Lyn, so lovely and positive as always xx

Love Ann xx
 
We've all sure have come a long way since January 2014
Yay for you !!!
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart[emoji768]
 
For those of us just starting out on our journeys, this such good news. We know we have this same thing in our future!

I totally agree Paula and thank you Ellejay for taking the time to come share your awesome success with us! How wonderful for you!
 
Thank you all for your lovely comments, I know I am very lucky to have the outcome I have had, but I do hope that my story gives some encouragement.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom