Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

-does impersonation of a pair of socks to go in suitcase

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Ellejay Glad to hear your setback was only a temporary one. It's that moment of fear that grabs you when you think you might have done something irreparable but it usually, in my very limited experience, means you've just pushed a bit too far. :dancy: How lovely going to Cornwall. You'll be able to do some lovely walks and the weather will be milder there too.

Today, I am attempting a marathon house clean. Mr P has gone off to see Auntie in the care home and I am doing the housework on my own for the first time. Honestly, I've got the best out of the bargain. Auntie can be a difficult one some days. She can really bring you down!
  • :bignono:

Our house is not large but I'm doing it as exercise today - no gym. All that bending etc will really tax the knee, not to mention the hoovering! So far I've managed one bedroom and ensuite - there's a way to go. So I am procrastinating by writing this. My knee is a bit stiff after I pushed it a bit yesterday at the gym so a different kind of activity will be good.

I've just promised to go on a 4 miles walk and then for lunch next week around Linton in Wharfedale. That will really test out the knee.

Have you been watching "Wolf Hall"? I was blown away by last nights episodes. For our Transatlantic friends, when it comes your way, please watch. The whole thing is a work of wonder!
  • :yay:

Better go and wield the feather duster some more. Have a great day.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, lovely to hear from you. I am certainly hoping for warmer temperatures in Cornwall. The cottage belongs to my brother, it is right next to his own farm house, so it will be really lovely to see him and his wife, we have great fun together.
I have done lots of exercises this morning, and finished up by putting the seat really low on my static bike, I hadn't done one mile when my knee started to hurt, but at least I could get round on it. I thought I should stop at that point and have just had a lovely warm, deep bubble bath, knee seems fine now, so it's good to know it can recover so quickly.
We have friends staying with us for the weekend, so my big housework day will be tomorrow, although my dear husband says otherwise. I haven't been allowed near the vacuum so far, but I think at three months I ought to be ok with it.
I absolutely loved Wolf Hall, Wednesday evenings will not be the same. I can't wait for the next book/ series, although I think it will be a very long wait.
Your walk around Wharfedale will be glorious, isn't it just wonderful to be able to do these things again, I am so looking forward to doing a proper walk. I've promised myself I will get to the top of Golden Cap on the Dorset coast, that was the last decent walk I did, and even that was painful then.
I hope I haven't kept you from your housework :heehee:, take care xxxx
 
Time for a little more procrastination before I tackle hoovering the stairs!
Golden Cap is a good thing to aim for. We've done quite a few walks along the coast there.
That's what I'm finding with the knee now. I can overdo it a bit and it recovers more quickly than before. I hope this is a trend which will continue for both of us :spin::yes!:
 
@SuperSnapper, I decided to change my Avatar to a picture of Golden Cap, so I am reminded of what I am aiming for. I was last there in October 2012, and managed all 627 feet - hardly Everest, but something to work towards.
 
Hi @Ellejay

I do so hope that your afternoon at the cinema was good. How was the film? Did up your knees behave.

I'm so glad now that I didn't go down the arthroscopy route suggested by my surgeons registrar. How ridiculous. The state my knee is in. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It really reassured me.

Love a Nana moon 27 xox
 
The film (The Testament of Youth) was so sad, even more so as it was a true story, about the waste of lives in WW1. My daughter thought it was a bit long, but I 'enjoyed' every minute. I'm glad I've seen it, now maybe I will read the book. My knees were fine, I booked seats in advance, so I had plenty of legroom, and could stretch right out when I needed to. My husband met us after the film and my daughter then treated us to a lovely meal out as a thank you for something we've done for her, which was a lovely finish to the day.
My big news is.... I managed to sleep in the main bedroom last night! We have friends staying for the weekend so I need to give up the spare room. Last time I tried it just didn't work, and it ended up transferring rooms at 2 in the morning. Last night was fine, my knees were a bit stiffer this morning as I hadn't moved as much as I would normally have done, as I was aware of my husband and didn't want to disturb him. I may go back to my own double once the friends have gone on Sunday, it is good to move around more, but it is another step towards normality.
Have a good day everyone, I will be baking and cleaning all morning, but then resting this afternoon.
 
I remember reading the book when there was an earlier TV version. There's a sequel called Testament of experience, I think. Glad you enjoyed it. Vera Brittain was Shirley Williams mother. Her war experiences influenced her politics. But it is a sad book.
How lovely to be taken out for dinner! Have a good weekend and good news on the sleeping too.
 
Ooh, thanks for that information, I knew about Shirley Williams, but not about a sequel, I will look out for it.
 
Book ordered from library, I will have it next week, thanks for that @SuperSnapper . there is also another one - Testament of Friendship, about her friendship with Winifred Holtby.
 
Well done sounds you had a good time and all returns to normality are a boon. I still sleep in main bed but wiffffff is a errrrrrr big mover in sleep I have been pushed out and many a wallop and knee oooooooo matron. Sad films get to me big time yip im a big wuss but hey took me 54yrs to get this way so its me.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Have you read " South Riding' by Winifred Holtby. A bit dated now but very interesting book. I had forgotten there was a third book. Must look for that one. I am reading Bill Bryson "At Home" at the moment. I love his writing.
 
Hi @Ellejay

Have a fab time baking and cleaning. I do hope you have a lovely time with your friends x

I'm so glad you enjoyed your film. Your daughter is a godsend. That was so kind of her to take you out and treat you both to a meal.

Have a great day

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, I read South Riding a long time ago, I don't usually repeat books, as there are too many on my wish list to get through, but I might have to bend my rules on that one.
Have a great weekend, I hope you are able to get out and about, xx
 
Well, still sleeping all night, and no pain killers in sight,day or night. I really feel I've turned a corner in this long and boring recovery. I've done a lot of cooking today ( I seem to have forgotten how to bake, just about everything was a disaster) and cleared the house for our visitors. My husband refused to let me vacuum, he is good to me, so I just tidied while he cleaned. He changed the beds, as even more disasters came out of the oven. I'm not even owning up to the Victoria sponge, it looks like two pancakes, it will go into a trifle next week :gaah:.
 
Glad the knee is improving even though the baking isn't. I have days like that when my baking is really off and things turn out badly for no good reason. However good friends usually put up well with whatever.
Busy weekend coming up. Father in law is not well so needs some attention and we are having both granddaughters on Sunday. The boys came for tea tonight but have gone now so calm is restored.
Walked 2.2 miles up hill and down dale today so off for a 4 mile hike on Wednesday with my walking group. I have to do it sometime and the walk this week is relatively easy.
You have a good time with your friends.
xx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom