TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Lyn. It's a difficult and emotional time for you and your family but you know he's in a place where he's looked after well and feels comfortable.
Sending you a hug xx
 
What a lot of friendly messages, you are all so great, thank you very much. @yiayia3 it was lovely to hear from you, I am envious of you being in France, I have to wait until September until I can get there. I'm sorry your spine is still causing problems, I hope it isn't spoiling your trip. Dorset isn't actually on the list yet, we will be off to Devizes with friends in April. We have trips to Cornwall, Gloucester and Stockholm to fit in before mid April.
@Fancypants, thank you for your kind words. We do have a notebook that we use as a family, but we tend to leave notes to each other, so we can remind Dad who has been, not to write messages to Dad himself. You have given me food for thought.
@suedobie I'm sorry you knee is still a bit squidgy, do you have access to the physio department at the hospital you went to? I had a query and so went back to chat to my physio today. It turns out not to be my knee at all. Apparently, because I've had both knees done, and I haven't been walking straight for so long, my pelvis is 'out of kilter'. The right hand side is not performing quite as it should, not helped by the fact that my prosthetics are slightly different sizes, making my legs slightly different lengths, not by much, but enough to make a difference. She did try to explain it to me, and I know the femoral nerve is involved, I'm still not entirely sure why my left knee is painful because of a problem with the right hand side of my pelvis, but my physio seemed to think it was entirely obvious. She has given me some stretching exercises to do, told me to sleep with a thicker pillow between my knees, to do lots of Pilates and to stop walking on uneven ground for a while. She manipulated my pelvis and said she had got it to where it should be, but it could easily go back. I will try sleeping without the
Co codamols tonight, that should tell me if she has made a difference.
 
Hello @Ellejay

I read you response to sue with great interest. Why is one implant bigger than the other? I didn't realise that could happen.

As for pelvis out of kilter Freddy (the French physio) said mine was as well. Apparently when I was lying on my tummy one side was twisted up. He always managed to straighten them but told me to be very aware about my hip position, when standing and walking.

I d I hope that you can get some sleep Lyn. You've such a lot going on and you're your cheery self but underneath it all I should imagine you're feeling quite tired.

Sending you big hugs and thoughts for you x x x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Hello @Nana moon 27, the OS told me when I came round from the second TKR that he had been caught out, and had had to send for a different sized prosthetic, he'd rather assumed it would be the same as my first. Apparently my left knee was slightly smaller than my right knee. I didn't query it, I just assumed that sometimes feet are different sizes, so I suppose knees are as well. When my physio asked today who the OS was she said not to worry, he would have done the right thing, he always does. If she ever has to have a TKR, she says she will only allow him to do it, so I suppose that's good.
That's interesting that Freddy said the same about your pelvis, I was wondering whether I was being fobbed off, although I didn't really think so, I do trust her. The problem is that it is not a knee problem, so she shouldn't really be treating me, she is only authorised to give me up to six sessions, on the NHS, for my knee recovery. She is lovely and said if I need her, she will see me once more, but after that I would either have to start paying, which I would probably do, as she knows me, or go to my GP and wait for an NHS referral.
Night night, I'm turning in super early tonight, hydro and physio in one day has totally exhausted me. xxx
 
Wow, my physio is a marvel. I went to bed at 10.30, didn't take any pain killers, I slept until 2, was awake for a while, but not because of pain, and the next thing I knew the alarm was going off at 7. I have an opticians appointment at 9.30 and my contact lens (I only wear one) has to be in place two hours before. My knee doesn't feel like a melon or a football, it feels a a little bit stiff and sore, as would be normal. I'm just off to do the stretching exercises she set me, hopefully I can keep my pelvis straight if I do as I'm told.
Have a good day everyone xxx
 
Hums the hips dont lie, ooooooops. Good sleep lass, however hmmmmm Lyn do as told hmmmmmmm. Just jesting im sure you will with goal so close. As ever love reading your posts take care lassm

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Lyn, I gave up going to the pt sessions as did'nt feel they were doing any good, I can do all the excercises they showed me with the exception of the bike, at home. The lump on my knee is painful when I push it, don't know if I should go to the docs of to a pt, perhaps @Josephine could advise?
You are doing so well with your recovery, getting a good nights sleep without any pain meds is great news, funny enough, before I had my knee done I went to a pt with a back problem, she also said my pelvis was out of kilter, when I bent down it locked into place, she re-alighned it but it went back, she showed me some excercises to do to put it back into place, or course since having the knee done I can't do these excercises, strange that @Nana moon 27 has the same problem.
Sue xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear your physio is paying off. It's great when you find a good physio. Everytime I've been to one, I'm told my pelvis is out of line and my daughter's been told the same. She has knee issues too. Oh dear!
 
Mmm I think Josephine's advice about a Chiropractor on another thread, might be just the way we have to go. If I get this holiday pay due me from work, any time soon that might pay for some session.

Love Ann x x x
 
Hi Lyn - terrific news about and answer to your problem and a relatively easy fix! A good night's sleep makes a world of difference, doesn't it? Congratulations!
 
Hi everyone,
Yes, a good nights sleep is magic, everything fits into place and it makes you feel so good.
I was up really early for the opticians appointment, all is well, no change to my prescription. I wear just one lens in my left eye, that gives me reading vision, and my right eye is long sighted anyway, so that gives me the distance, and my brain just merges the two together, so I don't need bifocals, very clever.
I then went up to Dads, little change there, he is so weak, he won't eat, which is so unusual, he loves his food. He didn't really want to wake up the whole time I was there, so in the end I left him to sleep. His hearing was non existent, he said he couldn't hear a thing a thing I said, so conversation was difficult.
I then met up with a friend for a walk - I know the physio said cut down on walking, but we stuck to tarmac paths, and I was walking for a good forty minutes, which was a good distance for me. I then thought I'd go to the gym..... But Jiminy Cricket (or was it @Legin ) whispered in my ear, and I've sat all afternoon elevating and reading.
I hope everyone has had/ is having a good day xxxx
 
Hi @Ellejay

I'm sorry to hear about your dad not being himself. ((((((Hugs))))). I'm glad you managed to get out for a walk with your friend.

My best friend is coming tomorrow lunchtime. I can't wait to see her x I want to be in less pain and chirpy although she'd understand why I was grumpy x x x

@Legin does tend to be able to transmit subliminal messages to us beyond Hadrians wall that's a definite x

Oh re the yellow boxers. Oh dear every shape and size known to man (or woman). I looked like this Lyn :yikes::shocked::scaredycat:Xxx

Hope you sleep well x x x
 
I hope you have a wonderful time with your friend @Nana moon 27, it gives us such a boost to be with others.
I am off to the cinema tomorrow afternoon with my daughter, we are going to see Testament of Youth. I've been meaning to read the book for years, but never have, so for once I will see the film before I read the book. I was thrilled when she said she wanted to see it with me. I notice she didn't invite me to 50 shades of Grey when she went last week :rotfl:.
 
Hi Lyn

Oh you're funny, 50 Shades of Grey with your daughter! Oh she would have shrivelled up on the spot :heehee: Pain meds are kicking in really well...phew!! Nearly pain free!

I'm traumatised still by yellow boxer shorts. I'm sending my size 4 up to Kinross and kick him up the butt!!! He will be even more saddle sore than overdoing it on his bike!!! @Legin you listening? X

I just hope I don't dream about them lol xxx
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second





Love Ann. Sleep well xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Who what me. I just made connection with yellow jersey ala tour de france. Sheeeeeeesh, chortle.
Lyn I could so see your face if you arrived at cinema and grey was the film. Belusha beacon time. Its great younare doing normal life stuff

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@dogwheels
Yes it is our favourite route for cycling if you go before 12or after 5 I think you have no restriction all season I might be wrong as it changed recently can be a bit busy too children running from beach huts to beach but worth it

Dogwheels you sail? We do too we don't have the pleasure of owning a boat but we do have our skipper certificates and have chartered boats in many places including Australia

My husband retires from teaching this summer and that is one thing we are hoping to do more of sailing I am hoping the knee replacement will enable that

Enjoy your sailing


20/01/2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ellejay glad to see you got a good sleep that is half the battle you can deal with anything if you have slept well take care
Sue x


20/01/2015
 
Thank you @Homeport, I was beginning to despair, but suddenly all seems well. I did a forty minute walk yesterday but still slept well all night and have no ill effects this morning. The week after next we have booked a cottage in Cornwall, so I'm hoping to be able to do some walks then.
How are you doing now?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom