TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi Ann, I was just about to put a quick post on here before I nod off (hopefully).
We had a lovely time with our friends thank you, it was really good to have someone care for us after the exhausting couple of days of us caring for James. We went out for a pub meal last night, and then enjoyed a beautiful home cooked roast lunch today. We spent ages discussing holidays, places we could recommend to each other, places we had both been to (they love India as well). We have arranged a five day trip to Devizes in a few weeks time with them, we hope to cycle along the canal tow path, I need to practice on my real bike!
My knee hasn't really known what to make of the last few days, I didn't get much rest with James around for a few days, and it didn't enjoy the car journey down to Sussex and back home this evening. I didn't elevate and ice at all, which was probably a mistake, my knee was still sore last night, even with the co codamols, let's see how it will be tonight.
I hope you get your new pain sorted out at PT today Ann, that is so disappointing, to have it start up again. xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay

Great news that you've had a lovely time with your friends. It's lovely to have a touch of normality in your life. I'm glad you had a nice time with James. They are tiring but oh so funny and cute at that age xxx

I am so disappointed. I hope it's something daft that'll right itself x still physio will tell me tomorrow xx

Love Ann x x.
 
Sounds like a wonderful weekend outing Lyn - and so nice to have a vacation planned!
 
So pleased you had a good weekend. It's great to do something different with good friends. You can always rest this week. Your planned bike holiday sounds great fun too! Definitely something to look forward to.
 
Well my second knee is now 12 weeks old. I think I'm happy with it, I'm not as happy as I was at this stage with my first knee, but then I shouldn't be comparing them. We had a day out today, the weather was beautiful and we went to a National Trust property for the woodland walks, and particularly to see the snowdrop display, they were gorgeous. I was able to walk around the two of the trails, no stick, no limp, no pain. My knee stiffened up in the car on the journey home, but I'm elevating it now and it's fine. It is still very painful at night, so I'm taking Co codamols at bedtime, which help. I have a physio appointment tomorrow, so I can discuss that then.
@suedobie, we passed very close to you, we went to Anglesey Abbey. I hope you are well, how are you coping with life back at work?
@SuperSnapper you are right, it is good to have a break to look forward to. I am very lucky, we have several short breaks coming up, life is definitely starting to get more exciting.
 
Hi @Ellejay
How is your dad? How are you? The funeral went ok. Lucky for me there was a lift at the club, as I would have never gotten up those stairs. They looked like Mount Everest x x x

Snowdrops, how wonderful. They are the most perfect little flower, truly exquisite. I noticed today that because of our very mild winter an awful lot of my plants are budding early. In fact the little tete a tetes (miniature daffodils) under the kitchen window in the flower basket are about to open I guess in at week maybe less. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Do you remember last year, when we were talking about the yellow season and then the blue season in our gardens in the spring/early summer? The time has flown by.
 
Good morning @Nana moon 27
Yes, I do remember that conversation, hasn't that year gone quickly? Although at times it has seemed so long!
Dad seems to have given up, but his body just won't give up. He is hardly eating anything, he can't move himself, he has literally no energy or strength. He is on antibiotics to fight continual kidney infections and is generally very uncomfortable and unhappy. It is horrible to see him like this. He still recognises us all, but five minutes after we have left he forgets we have been and thinks that no one visits him. The staff in his care home are wonderful, every one of them is a real angel to him, they couldn't do more for him.
I must start my day, I'm going to the pool for some DIY hydro this morning and I have a physio appointment this afternoon. I hope you have a good day. Xxx
 
I live in Dorset and that part of the canal is wonderful to cycle along you do have the part where it steps up with many locks near Devizes so it could be worth parking car and getting bikes out just past that where it is flat on the side going towards Bath enjoy we have cycled all of that from Bath to Devizes in stages over last couple summers another great cycle ride easy on knee is to drive to sandbanks and park up and you can cycle along side the beach all way to Mudeford virtually great sea on one side and beach huts the other as well as plenty of cafes to stop if you get tired
I found these worked great when my knee was pre op and can't wAit to do them again


20/01/2015
 
Hi @Ellejay

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad he has good care at the home. ((((Hugs)))) x

Enjoy your hydro and I hope that all goes well with your physio xxx will catch you later xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
another great cycle ride easy on knee is to drive to sandbanks and park up and you can cycle along side the beach all way to Mudeford virtually great sea on one side and beach huts the other as well as plenty of cafes to stop if you get tired

Hi @Ellejay - sorry that you seem to have a lot on your plate at the moment. I may not be around very much now, but I am still thinking about you :friends:. Let me know if you ever decide to try out @Homeport's suggestion of the ride from Sandbanks to Mudeford - (although FYI you cannot do the Bournemouth/Hengistbury stretch in High Season as no bike riding is allowed then on the promenade then).
One of our fave walks is from our place along the front to Bournemouth - about 7 miles, then bus back. Plenty of ice cream and cafe stops - I am really looking forward to doing that again this year. Our place is right on the route Homeport mentions. If you decided to do it, you could pop in for a cuppa and a chat if we were there, or even park on our drive and cycle it the other way round! Sailing season is looming soon so we will be spending most weekends down on the coast, plus I am gagging to get out in the new boat once the weather is a bit better. It seems ages since I have been on the water.

I am very sad to hear about your poor old Dad. My Mum has not been so good for the last few months, so I can really feel for you. Second guessing what to do for the best can be so difficult and upsetting. As I think I have said to you before, in some ways it's nice that you have siblings to share the load (when they do) but although there is only me, it does mean I needn't debate with others - however I have to consider all options on my own and get it right! Big responsibility.

Louie is growing up fast, and is just as gorgeous. On Sunday he went through a kitten rite of passage and fell in the bath while my daughter was having a soak. She said he refused to be rubbed or hair dryer dried, and waddled about with soggy legs and tail like a small child who had wet itself. Once he had dried out she said his nether regions were lovely and soft and fluffy and he smelled of Sanctuary bath gel.

Got to go. Just thought I would drop you a quick note to let you know I haven't forgotten you!

XXXX
 
@Homeport thank you so much for those ideas. The canal is a must on our forthcoming trip, I didn't know about the ride along the beach to Mudeford, that is now on my list. We both love to cycle, that is my big aim, to get back to my bike. I'm fine on the static, and can go quite a distance these days, but I haven't tried my road bike yet, it's been too cold and wet to even think about going out on it, but I must try it soon. My bike is an electric one, we bought it a few years ago when my knees were getting bad. I can use it as non electric, it has three levels of power, or for really bad knee days I can sit and not peddle at all, it is heavy, but it means I can keep up with my husband.
 
Woooo hells angel Lyn. Hang in tjere pal with your dad lots of good memories with him
 
@dogwheels, what a lovely surprise! I didn't see your post until I had posted my answer to Homeport, and then yours suddenly appeared.
Elderly parents are certainly a big part of our lives as we get older ourselves, and we do need to make decisions on their behalf that we can only hope are the right ones.
In many ways I am pleased that we won't be going on our usual 8/9 week trip to France this summer, I don't think it would be right to leave him for that length of time. I can see myself spending May and June driving between Dad and new grand daughter, doing whatever I can to help. Thank goodness I have two good knees now.
I hope you are well, I know what you mean about looking forward to all the spring and summer activities, it would be so good to meet up for a cuppa, I will certainly let you know if we do make it to that part of the world, but it would probably be out of season, we hate crowds.
Louie sounds such fun, I can just imagine him walking away from the bath with a speech bubble saying "I meant to do that!" :heehee:.
It is lovely to hear from you Chris, take care, xxxx Lyn
 
@Ellejay my friend had the same thing with when her elderly mum was ill.....she would say to my friend that no-one else came, as she had forgotten. So someone suggested the family write notes to her, in a big note book with a thick pen, and leave it by her bed for the nurses to read out to her, or sometines she would read it herself if she had a good day. The grandchidren loved it and drew pictures and wrote notes to her. It wouldn't be right for everyone of course but it may help?
 
Hi @Ellejay I was so sorry to hear about your dad,it's such a worry when they get old,I've lost both now, but know exactly what your going through,but like Dogwheels I was an only child very hard.You sound like your doing very well with the new knee,and a break in Dorset sounds ideal.
My left knee is not too bad at the moment but still having spinal problems but I'm a big strong girl(who I'm I kidding haha) and tend to get on with it.We are in France for a few days shopping etc, arrived at the hotel today, and hubby had booked it for 24th March! He was very,very lucky they had a room for us lol.Take care love Terri
 
Hi Lyn, good to hear you enjoyed your weekend with friends, how nice to be organising meeting up for a holiday, always lifts my spirits to have one to look forward to. Seems I have slipped back into work with no prob, get a bit stiff when I sit for too long, I still feel I have not made any progress over the last few weeks, I have a squidgy bit to the right of my kneecap, it stick out to form a circle the size of 10p if I bend my knee and aches sometimes, not sure what's going on.
So sorry to hear your Dad is no better, I'm sure you feel so helpless.

Sue xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom