TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hello @suedobie, I saw you are on the site at the moment. I hope your tummy is completely better now and you had a good weekend in Norfolk. Did you get Ron to the airport on time? You must be so excited about joining him in Orlando. I will be interested to know if you set off the airport alarms, we are off to Stockholm in April, I wonder if two knees will set them off? Take care Sue xxx
 
Now nae knocking knees lass. Just checking you are ok

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin, hi, how are you?
My knees enjoyed their own special pampering day yesterday, but then rewarded me by being painful in the middle of the night, how unfair is that?
I've just had my first session in a pool, and then in the spa, it was gorgeous, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed doing exercises in water. I did get some strange looks from a couple of young children who wondered "why that big lady has an arm band on her foot", but all went well, the water was lovely and warm and the jets in the spa pool provided me with a really good massage. Hopefully I can get back there soon.
 
That sounds sooooooo good im glad you had an enjoyable and relaxing time. Who said ourbrand new bits would be fair. Me im ok silly cough and other troubles persist but hey im still fighting or is it frightening.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks for dropping in @SuperSnapper, you sound pretty busy yourself- photography, a long lunch and a German class.
My weekend was great, I rested all day on Monday and all was well. I had my first visits to the pool yesterday and felt very good afterwards.....
...but last night did my knee play up!
I managed about three hours sleep, it was an internal really bad ache. At nine weeks I thought I was over the really painful part, but definitely not. I suppose the bones have to grow into the new joint, I could almost imagine them doing just that all night. Tonight I will go back to strong painkillers at bedtime, I can't have another night like that. This morning it feels very sore, the paracetamols are beginning to kick in, I might take a Tramadol as well. It's not swollen, I can bend as well as ever, maybe I was over enthusiastic in the pool (me?)
I was going to visit Dad this morning, but my sister went yesterday, so he will be fine, I'm just going to stay in bed and try to catch up on some sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely seems to prove the point that the healing from this surgery is not linear - just when you think you're in the clear, there is more healing to do. Hopefully a day of rest and some Tramadol should put you back in order.
 
You are so right Teresa, I just wasn't expecting that amount of pain this far out. I can only imagine it was the hydro exercises, but I didn't think I was doing too much, and I had a lovely relaxing water massage in the spa afterwards to relax the muscles.
How are you today?
 
I doubt you did do too much - it's just that the metal is quite a bit stiffer than bone so the movements probably put stress on your newly healed bone and it just doesn't feel all that great. That's what meds are for!

I'm doing great - but then, I'm still on percocet, without it, I do not believe that would be the case!
 
It is very easy to do too much in the pool. You don't realise it at the time, because the water is supporting you, but boy! you pay for it later - as you found out, Lyn. :console2:
Try doing a bit less. It's a matter of experimentation until you discover the right amount.
 
Thank you @Celle, it was kind of you to pop in and comment, I'm sure you and @TexasTee are right, you'd think, this being my second knee, I'd know what I'm doing - obviously not! I'm so keen to exercise and strengthen muscles, but it seems whatever I do has negative consequences for my knee. My husband is desperate to wrap me in cotton wool, I've been fighting against it but perhaps I should just give in and do nothing until the warmer weather arrives :bored: xx
 
I know the temptation to get going and try to increase your strength and ROM. It seems like the natural thing to do.
The trouble is that your knees don't want to. They want to take the time they need.

While we feel like being the hare in the recovery race, our knees know that they need to be the tortoise. It's a conflict that so often ends in ODIC.
 
Hiya Lyn you know there is nothing wrong in just letting things happen for a while. Of course your hubby wants to wrap you in cotton wool. He watches you literally stride off worried and rightly so it will end in pain. You know the pain you feel seeing a loved one in pain. So do a cadburys caramel relax, take it easy. Errrrrr no lady rabbit pics of me please.
As you say wait a while till warmer the cold isnt best for us anyway. Then you can stride out well in a wee step way. France is waiting for you. Have you ever been to Collore not sure on spelling right near eastern spannish border a eonderful place full of artisits. Take it easy pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Collioure googled it doh im soooo slow

Legin THR Sep 14
 
You are better for me than any medication @Legin, I know what you say makes perfect sense, with all your own problems you are very kind to try to sort mine. I know I'm a very lucky person in having such a loving husband,who wants to wrap me in cotton wool. I seem to spend my time on here complaining about my battle to progress, and again, I'm very lucky, I have had (am still having) two very good recoveries. In theory, I would be back to work in two weeks (thank goodness for teachers pensions, I can't get my state pension yet, but I can survive on my teachers one), so it's reasonable to start to exercise to strengthen muscles to enable me to return to normal life, but each time I do, my knee says NO!
Collioure is absolutely beautiful, we were there last June:

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Me errrr no just a simple chap who says what's im front of him. Yup I love that whole coastline. Mind you tho the west is amazing love the sea in Biarritz. I truly love living up here but its such a long way to go for ferries. We went down to the Loire one year I drove whole way only main stop was the ferry. We had a gite and it was one of the best holidays. Youngest kept going to water amd she reg had a nappy weighed down to her ankles. Im so lucky to have so many grand memories. It beats numpty tv anytime.

Legin THR Sep 14
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom