TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay, stopping by your thread to say Hello and hope you are feeling much better soon. Wanted to wish you a Happy Ankneeversay. I kinda sorta missed the day. Hope it was enjoyable though you are in the throws of recovering from the second knee. Hope both knees are treating you better real soon. So sorry you joined that ODIC today, but it definitely could not be helped. So sorry to hear about your dad. God bless him 92 years old. Good for him!! Hope he is okay. My prayers are with him. :thumb: Thumbs up to you for walking 40 minutes yesterday. Take care of yourself and I wish you Dad the best. Have a wonderful weekend!

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much for your kind messages, it is humbling to think that people all across the globe can stop by and take the time to send a kind and thoughtful message, it means a lot, thank you.
My heavy duty painkillers did the trick and I slept fairly well, I was awake a couple of times feeling a bit nauseous, as the painkillers were out of my system, and suddenly back again. Never mind. My knee is quite swollen this morning, even though it was iced all night. Isn't it strange how one day I can walk for 40 mins across country tracks, and all is well, then the next day just sitting makes it so much worse. I did get a few walks along very lengthy hospital corridors, but there was no opportunity to raise my leg, which is what it really needed. The chairs are all in rows, with arms, presumably to stop the loutish behaviour of putting feet on seats! Six hours of basically sitting was just too much, even with stretching and walking.
I'm sure it is just swollen and no damage has been done, I'm going to have a bath soon then rest, ice and elevate all day today.
Dads hospital has very strict visiting regulations, only 2 people at a time, 2 hrs in the afternoon and one in the evening, so as it's Saturday other members of the family are available today. I've just phoned and he had a good night, so all is well.
Once again, thank you all for your kindness, I do appreciate it.
 
Hi Lyn, hope you were able to get a good nights sleep what with your knee and worrying about your Dad, guess you have ben to the hospital today, hope they have some good news for you.
Thinking of you
Sue xx
 
Thanks Sue and Legin,
I didn't go to the hospital today, one of my brothers and my sister visited, I said I would go tomorrow. I phoned this morning and the member of staff told me all was well. My brother has just e mailed the family to say the same, although Dad is really confused, and is convinced the Queen is about to visit.
I really was worried about my knee, I knew I hadn't twisted it or done any real damage but it was still so swollen this morning. I have rested and iced all day and it is still stiff, but at least the swelling has gone down. Thanks for checking on me, enjoy the rest of your weekend.xxx
 
Thanks @TexasTee, I definitely will do, although with the strict visiting hours I should be ok tomorrow. I would have taken one on Friday, but I thought I was only going to be there a short time - an ECG and some blood tests they said!
I do hope you can get some sleep when you need to and not feel too nauseous, that is so horrid. I slept on my back whilst I had a mountainside of pillows in my bed, but I soon discovered that it was ok to be on my side and much more comfortable. Take care, you are doing so well xxx
 
Hi Lyn
I was so sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't get very many alerts these days, not even for my own thread, but I picked up that something was amiss in my meanderings on here this morning, so came and checked.

I do so hope that the hospital can give Dad some constructive help and improve his health. Hard about local hospitals holding bad memories, but perhaps that will affect you and your family more than your Dad at this time? A 6 hour wait is dire and unforgiveable - your poor knees and your poor Dad!

92 is a grand age, but somehow we believe that they will go on forever, don't we? As my Mum says: 'This growing old lark is a real b*****!'

I can feel for you as my Mum has been giving cause for concern for the last 6 months. At one point I thought she had become anorexic and agoraphobic. All tests have been fine, but she is seeing a geriatrician in 10 days for a thorough MOT - just to see if anything has been missed. The local mental health nurse is also visiting this week to have a chat as we (me, GP etc) all think she is suffering from depression. The 2 constants in her life at the moment are smoked salmon in any shape or form which I know she will eat - so am plying her with ....... and Crime novels! She was re-reading all her Agatha Christies and I said that was a bit futile as she would know Whodunnit! So I bought her a big bag full by other authors and she is devouring them at a rate of knots! I am hoping that she will get a bit of her joie de vivre back - at the moment she really couldn't care less.

Hope your Dad is a little brighter and feels a little better when you see him. I will be thinking of you and you will both be in my prayers.

Much love

Chris XXXX
 
Hi @Ellejay

I hope your visit to see your dad is ok. Oh poor love confused thinking the Queen is coming. Well he will get his beautiful daughter Queen Lyn, so why not x x x

Oh Lyn I've done it again didn't press send last night. I have to slow down in this.

Love Ann x x x
 
You are all so kind, @Nana moon 27, although this isn't really about my knee recovery, @SuperSnapper, it has certainly affected my knees, @TexasTee - (sorry if that is all confusing, I wondered if it would get round the 'no lists' rule.) since Thursday both my knees have been so stiff and sore. @dogwheels to be fair to the hospital we weren't just sitting waiting for the six hours, we did have trips all round the place for x rays and blood tests, but once they had decided to admit Dad there was quite a wait to find a bed - bad timing! I couldn't fault any member of staff, they were all full of kindness and caring, but the place is so big. I could have gone there for my knees, thank goodness I had the choice, I loved my tiny little private hospital.
I've just returned from a visit, he didn't wake up at all, I tried gently, but he didn't want to know, and it seemed a shame to make him, at least he is comfortable whist he's asleep.
I have a physio appointment on Wednesday thank goodness, and hopefully she can tell me what I've done. I was doing so well, but now stairs are difficult again, walking is painful. I'm icing and elevating whenever I'm not standing, my husband is back to full time kitchen duty, so I don't know what else I can do.
Sorry to moan everyone, hopefully normal, cheerful service will resume as soon as possible. Lyn xxx
 
Moan all you'd like - that's what we are here for!! Sounds like you are doing the exact right thing - rest and recoup and let yourself be taken care of, you'll be back on track soon!!
 
Lyn, I'm so sorry, I did not realise your knees were causing you so much pain, I just though once you had iced and rested you would be back to normal, it's not as though you have done something extreme to upset them, I really hope you get some relief soon, must say I agree with something you said on Wednesday, I feel I have not progressed at all in the last 2 weeks in fact the last two days I have taken some pain meds and not had very good nights sleep although done nothing to upset the knee (obviously not on the scale of suffering you have) what a temperamental thing these knees are!

Shame your dad did not wake to see you but at least if he is sleeping he is comfortable
Wishing you both ell

Sue xx
 
Fingers crossed your knee pains are a temporary hitch. I think what @Legin wrote in an earlier post about stress was on the button. When you are stressed, worried etc as you naturally, are your muscles get tense too and that combined with the sitting and waiting can't be a good thing for the knees. Hope the pain and aching starts to resolve with more rest, ice, etc. I know it's disappointing as you were doing so well.
Sending you a big hug.
Mary x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom