TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Ooh that's wonderful @SuperSnapper, driving is a really big step towards independence. I hope I will get the go ahead for driving when I see my OS a week tomorrow. I also hope I will have my car - my daughter needs it whilst hers is off the road, and it made total sense while mine was just sitting there, but it will be frustrating to be told I can drive but not to have my car. I don't think I want to risk my husbands large 4x 4 manual, my poor left knee couldn't manage the clutch.
Have fun with your new freedom, you are doing so well. Xxx Lyn
 
Having had a very lazy day yesterday, I was prepared not to sleep well. My muscles in both legs were still a bit achey from my exercise session the day before, (my right leg is wondering what's going on, it's not had to work this hard for months). In preparation for the OS giving permission to drive next week I thought I'd try cutting out the Tramadol, as I always wake up still 'under the influence', so I just took two paracetamol, and , guess what, I slept for eight hours, apart from a brief episode when I was aware I was removing the ice cuff from my knee, but wasn't really awake. That's the longest sleep I've had for months, before the TKR the arthritic pain always woke me whenever I moved, so I'm feeling great, and I've got a whole day ahead of me, it's 8.30, I haven't seen this time of day for a while!
Have a good day everyone, xxx
 
@Ellejay great news on the nights sleep! Makes you feel so much better doesn't it? Good news on the Tramadol too.
Not much happening here. I've been fighting off a cold and it kept me awake for ages, scratchy throat etc. I think the cold might be winning though. Still nothing planned for today except more of the same. Might go out for a walk later on. We made jam yesterday from our Victoria plums we'd frozen in the summer. It was the first year our new tree had really fruited. Anyway , now we have six pots of delicious jam. Soon it's Seville orange time!
Definitely getting to feel more normal these days.
Hope you have a good day xxx
 
Helllooo im not in scotland in NE visiting bro. Your posts are great btw. Me im errr struggling tad sore and stuff but hey could be worse
 
@Legin, I'm sorry, I forgot you were with your brother, how long will you be staying? Sorry you are sore and stiff, hope it improves throughout the day.
@SuperSnapper, I love making jam and marmalade, I have some vintages of Seville that would scare a health and safety expert, but they taste wonderful, each year darkening a bit more. They are never mouldy, so I'm sure they are OK. Last year, having had my TKR in January, I didn't think I would be able to make any, but the organic veg box scheme we use were still selling the Sevilles in March, so I made some then. Hopefully I will be able to make some this year in a couple more weeks or so.
Having been awake for a while now I've discovered the disadvantage of not taking the Tramadol last night - my knee has become quite painful, that bone ache pain, and I haven't done anything, I'm still sitting in bed. I know my brain still felt a bit fuzzy each morning, but obviously my knee was still under the effect of Tramadol as well. I've taken a couple of paracetamols, hopefully they will deal with it - if not, then I'm obviously not ready to give the Tramadol up.
 
Oh @Ellejay

I'm so sorry you're in pain. Mind you we've all done the experimenting with meds. Just remember you're just four weeks out. You are doing wonderfully well just try try not to over do it. I can totally understand the urge to get back to normal x especially with the fact that you were driving and everything very soon after surgery before x x have an easier today x xx

Love Ann x x x
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27, it's two steps forward and one back each time isn't it? I will ice and elevate all morning, I was hoping for a trip out this afternoon, but we will have to see. Take care, xxx
 
No you're not bad at all @Legin, I missed it myself :heehee:, it didn't kick in until after my first post this morning.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm sorry @SuperSnapper, just as we were doing SO well! That the nature of this recovery up and down like a roller coaster. I've just enjoyed a deep, warm bath and the paracetamols seem to have done the trick, but now my tummy isn't right, I think I'm going to give up on today :boohoo:. I hope you feel better soon, xxx Lyn
 
Omg two.ladies in.pain quick call.the.funny face brigade. Oooooops.got one already. Its a shame.for both of.you but a.wee.reminder that's all.I'm.sure you.will.both as they say in.glasgeeeee giving it.wally soon. Take.care both of.you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm learning it's all temporary!

I went out for a walk after doing my exercises including a new one from the physio and my knee is achy and sore so back to my usual sofa position now with trusty gel pack. It was a bit painful walking but improved and eased off after about ten minutes. However my bend has got even better since last week. I'm amazed with how far it goes. I could just about touch my bottom with my foot before surgery with that leg so working on getting there eventually!

This recovery is all about ups and downs. I remember from my microfractures that I didn't feel "normal" for over a year and this surgery is much bigger so I'm reconciled to a long trip with the knee. Even though we've both done well, there are bound to be set backs.

Hope your day improves

Mx
 
I am just now stepping down from oxy to hydro. I can't imagine doing without pain meds at this point. I thought for a minute that pain was easing up but no. Kudos to you ellejay for almost being off meds!
 
I had just a short trip to the nearby town centre, it's very small, somewhere I don't normally like going to, there is hardly anything there, but it's surprising how exciting an outing to anywhere can be when you've been stuck in for so long :heehee:. We had a cup of tea and a doughnut (we know how to live), collected a couple of parcels and came home again, I'm now snuggled up in the armchair, icing,elevating and about to have a nap.
@kvhundley, thank you for your post, I am a week ahead of you, and a week can make a big difference at this stage, and of course, we mustn't compare our recoveries, we are all so different.
Thanks @TexasTee, gosh, not long now, you seem to have been preparing this forever, I'm sure you will do so well.
 
Hi Lyn, only just logged in to see who is about, wow you were brave stopping the Tramadol just when I was thinking you had cracked it I read that you have some bone pain, what a shame, we still have 7 more days before we both go the see our OS so perhaps next week you could stop the Tramadol. I just drove my car a little way on the drive to see if I could do it, no prob at all:yes!: so hope he will say it is ok when I see him

Reading some of your comments about you exercise, I feel that I'm not pushing myself enough and perhaps should be doing a bit more, I know we are all different but was impressed with your two mile bike ride and trampoline routine.

Went for an Indian meal last night and although I sat with my leg on another chair and pillow under my knee (the owner is a friend so tried to make me feel ok) after a couple of hours I started to feel uncomfortable and wanted to go home. A friend invited me to a photo shoot with her dog for a magazine on Wednesday but after last night I decided it would be too much especially as we have to drive to the Kensington area and back and spend quite a few hours on the shoot.

Going to have a bath now so hope everyone is having a positive day, catch up later

Sue xx
 
Hi @suedobie

I couldn't do what Lyn does. She is amazing and 6 weeks out I could barely get round the corner shop. I'm sure her fitness is her Pilates etc. You'd need to ask her. I just think she is fantastic with her recovery. She was the first time round. She was way ahead of me then. I've had a revision since and again she's way ahead. "I want what she's having" as the advert goes.

What I like about Lyn and @dogwheels wonderful recoveries is the fact that they don't judge people who have slower recoveries. They support all the way xxxxx thank you xxxxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom