TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay, sounds like you are really doing well. Glad to hear that. I know exactly what you mean about being able to take a bath. I still remember after my 4 week post TKR checked up I got the okay to drive and take a bath. I have a whirlpool tub that I would not trade for the world. As long as I could manage to get my legs over the side and get myself up and out I was set to go!!. Continue to heal and do well. Take good care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Lyn, our bath has quite few setting so cold use on a milder one, yes it can also be used without the bubbly bits and jets, I think I could manage getting my leg over :loll:if you know what I mean!!!! so may give it a go, so relaxing just wallowing in smelly bubbles

Sounds as thought you a doing really well on the exercise front, think it is sometimes nice to have a more relaxing day and take it easier, your husband sounds wonderful, mine has been ok but he is very busy as work and usually does nothing around the house except make it untidy and his cooking skills are zero but hey ho he I still like having him around and no plans to change him:heehee:

Sue xx
 
Hi Sue,
Do have a go at using the bath, I felt really good after mine yesterday. I'm having a very lazy afternoon, I did work hard with the exercise programme
this morning and I'm feeling very tired. We were both going to the library, (I've reserved all three series of Sherlock DVDs) but I just couldn't be bothered, in fact I haven't even made it downstairs so far, I'm comfortable up here. My husband said he'd collect my reservation from the library, then said he would go to all sorts of other places, normally wild horses wouldn't have held me back, but if was quite happy to see him go without me. I must be tired to refuse a shopping trip. I might enjoy another bath later on.
My husband retired in 2013, so he was around when I had my first TKR. His cooking skills aren't great, but I did fill the freezer with meals before the op, and Ocado deliver some excellent ready meals. He has just been so protective and caring, I just hope I would be as good should the need arise. A child at school once accused me of having no "symphony" :heehee:.
My daughter has borrowed my car for a few days while hers is in the garage. It saves her the cost of hiring one, it means mine gets a bit of a run and as I can't use it anyway it makes perfect sense. I am looking forward to being able to drive again.
 
I am up most days about 7.30 to get the dogs and Ron ready for their morning walk, he does it under protest and both of us were very naïve in thinking he would to have to do it for long.

My friends came round this morning so we have been trying out all the different flavour coffees, she had one that she bought in November but has not taken out of the box yet, we placed an order for more pods between us to save od delivery charges (being very thrifty) so I have only just done my first lot of exercises, physio invited me to a group session next Thursday but I'm having my hair cut and although would love to join in the group having my hair done will make me feel so much better:loveshwr:

Ron is past retirement age but has no real hobbies except watching Tottenham loose most weeks and saying this is the last season he is going to follow them, he has such an active mind but hates coming out with me and the dogs and to tell the truth think he would drive me mad if he was at home most of the day!!

Very nice of you to let your daughter borrow your car, as you say you don't need it and I'm sure she is very grateful, when do you think we will get the all clear to start driving?
 
I would think when I see the consultant on Jan 19th he will pass me for driving, it's usually six weeks. I've only recently bought this small automatic, I found I couldn't drive our large manual car as operating the clutch with my left knee, pre op, was just too painful. I don't think I would manage it for a few more weeks after the op, so I'm pleased I've got the small one. Mind you, it will depend on whether I'm still on Tramadol at night, I do wake up a bit fuzzy headed (even more than normal :heehee:).
The coffee tasting sounds like fun, what a good idea to share the cost of delivery, it always seems to add a disportionate amount to the final bill.

I attended group sessions for physio after my first TKR, they were really good and it was nice to compare notes with the others, we were all within a week of each other, there were ten of us to four physios. I was only offered the 1:1 this time, but at least it's at the hospital I was treated at - the group physio was all the way down at the North Middlesex Hospital in Edmonton, quite a trek! I've contacted a physio I used last year for hydro sessions, to see if she would do group sessions, I don't need her input this time, I can do all of the exercises myself, but the problem is finding a shallow, warm pool. If I see her on a 1:1 basis it's £55 for half an hour, which seems a bit steep, so I'm hoping she has another client who wouldn't mind sharing a session.
You made me smile about watching Tottenham lose, our first house was just round the corner to the Tottenham ground, we had the choice of a tiny flat in Barnet or St Albans, where we really wanted to live, or a three bed house plus double garage in Tottenham, so we bought the Tottenham house. I think we were the only ones in the whole area that wanted them to lose and move down the table. We had to plan our Saturdays around their home/away games, we couldn't get anywhere near our home on match days and were very glad of the double garage. We didn't stay there very long, it was a mistake.
Have a good evening, chat soon xxx Lyn
 
Good morning Lyn, laughed at your Tottenham story, we used to go to watch most of the games years ago so I could have been one of the people you were trying to avoid!!

I go to see my OS on 19th as well, I will be so disappointed if he says that I can't drive, I have a Vectra Estate which is automatic so should have no problems, I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

I am definitely going to attend the next group session, I don't have an exercise bike at home so will be interesting to see how I cope with the equipment there, I know hydro therapy is very good as one of my previous Dobermans had knee surgery and I took him to somewhere in Cambridge for a few weeks and it really helped him, don't know if there is anywhere near here that I could go to, but I don't like that feeling of getting out of a public pool in winter and feeling cold and damp.

Don't know what happened yesterday but when my friend went and I got up to see her out my back started aching, I had only been relaxing on the settee with my legs on a pillow, it's still there this morning so have taken some paracetamol, never taken so many pills in my life.

Hope you have a good day, try to keep positive, things can only get better!!

Sue xx
 
@Ellejay. Had to tell someone! Got 140 degree bend at my physio appointment this morning, went on the bike for 4 mins and other stuff and did the stairs(up and down) which are shallower than ours at home like a big girl! I love my physio! She's so encouraging and positive. Woop Woop! Now icing and elevating as I'm a bit achy but pleased.
Hope you are having a good day too. You've been so supportive to me through this experience. :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::loveshwr:
 
@SuperSnapper - 140!!!!!!!!! :wowspring::happydance: That is absolutely fabulous well done! You must be so thrilled, I know I would be. I only managed 120 on my first knee, but my thighs are rather big, so I think that's as good as it will get.
Did you do a lot of any particular exercise to achieve this? I'm so impressed, that's one of the best measurements I've seen on here. I'm so pleased for you.
Have a lovely weekend, enjoy your wonderful new knee:flwrysmile::cheers:
Lyn xxxx
 
@Ellejay. Thanks so much. I did lots before my operation - three times a week for about 75 mins at each session. Lots of quads, hamstring work, cycling, cross trainer , weights floor work, etc plus walking on good days when my knee let me. After the surgery I've done the minimum but I think I'm lucky. I was very pleased with the bike as I got the pedals all the way round first time. After my microfractures that took ages. I've always exercised my knees a lot since my microfractures and that's been such a help.

You have a good weekend yo. I might even research a cycling holiday :biking::loveshwr:

Have a great weekend
Mary xxx
 
I got to 105 yesterday but the area that caused me arthritic pain has flared up overnight from pushing it I think. It did keep me up last night which has not happened in a long time. Thinking maybe because they had to do the most work in that area? When it hurts I need to stop, I just wanted that ROM! Great news on 140. Wow! You are in the home stretch! That is better than most. Keep up the good work! After hitting that milestone you must be close to done with PT?
 
@kvhundley, 105 is very good but you are very early in your recovery so please be careful that you don't cause more swelling and end up in pain.
 
Oh I'm so glad I popped over to visit you @Ellejay. Everyone is doing so well including you Lyn. A massive well done to everyone on here today. Congratulations xxx
 
Sounds like your doing fab, those clips ehh, Im really pleased you OS is happy, its nice to be reassured that things are going in the right direction. My continued support to you hun xxx
 
ONE YEAR REPORT
Today my right knee is one year old! I don't think I've been terribly fair to it, it hasn't had all the exercise, all the walking, cycling it should have had because it's partner starting playing up soon after the operation, and has made a lot of fuss since then. I have been very happy with my right knee, it soon went to a ROM of 120, which was enough to do everything I wanted to do. It would still get stiff and swell a bit if I stood for too long, but I thought that was only fair, and made sure that I didn't stand for too long. Then, my left knee was replaced five weeks ago. Now, at last I am able to exercise both knees relatively pain free, certainly without the arthritic pain. My left knee shot to a ROM of 90 within two weeks, and looks as if it is going to overtake it's older sibling. It doesn't seem to swell as much as the first knee did when I exercise, I'm wondering if I should have been so happy with my first knee, should it have been like it's newer sibling all along? Hopefully,when I get to the stage where I can go full out on an exercise programme, the older knee will benefit from it, and might even improve. Watch this space in six months time.
 
I had a great evening out last night with two other couples from our village. I was able to walk to the village pub and enjoy a good meal, and then walk further away from home, to one of their houses for coffee, and then managed to walk all the way home quite late (for me) afterwards. Another step back to normal life.
I worked very hard at my home physio exercises yesterday, covered two miles on my static bike (not a great distance, but a start). Today I'm going to take it easy. My physio says she wants me to do the exercises twice a day, which I think is too much, last years physio gave me the same exercises and said do them three times a week! So I'm having a complete rest day, maybe a short walk if the blue sky is still there when I can be bothered to get dressed.
My daughter is coming to supper later on, so that's something to look forward to. Her car was fixed, and she returned my car, but yesterday having been driving for two and a half hours she got within twenty miles of a friends house where she was going for the weekend and hers broke down again, so she had it low loaded back to our house, and took my one again whilst we were out last night (that was fine), but she is now one unhappy girl as she was supposed to be enjoying a weekend a way and instead is back in her flat on her own. She wants to come round to us to cheer herself up a bit.
Have a good day everyone xxxx
 
Brill pal on all cept for daughter really plsd for you. Tut doggy bag ???
 
Great reports, @Ellejay . I think you are right about using your own ideas about how many times you do specific exercises. It's all about assessing your knee and deciding what's best on the day. Mine was aching yesterday after physio on Friday so I iced , elevated a lot and it's fine today so doing the exercises she set me. Moving forward slowly.
I'm driving today , Mr Ps automatic, first time since my op. Another step forward.

Have a lovely day.

Mary x
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom