TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

@kvhundley , when you listed the measurements 16 and 12, were you referring to your extension? That's the measurement of how 'flat' you're able to get your leg. If that's what you meant, please don't despair. It took me FOREVER to be able to get anywhere close to flat (and I'm still not there yet). Extension is harder to get than flexion and takes more time for some. It was probably 3 months before I was getting into the lower single digits and plain old walking, with the proper gait (heel to toe) is the best exercise.

@Ellejay ~ I can't post to someone else on your thread without letting you know how wonderful I think you're doing! I'm so pleased with your progress and sensibilities this time around! Keep up the great work!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
This is me in my favourite position. I've been very good this morning, I've done lots of exercise, heel slides, steps, clam, mini squats (&I mean mini), I've done 10 mins on my bike, so now I've got my legs up the wall, ice bag wrapped round knee. I was thinking of starting back at the gym this week,but I think I'm probably doing enough, I will leave it until next week. I had a 15 min walk yesterday afternoon, I did suffer last night, I can't say I was in pain, but I woke at 4 am and just couldn't make myself comfortable, and was awake for ages, so I didn't wake up until 9am this morning. I'm having a quiet day today, we might pop up to a local garden centre later. they are selling off their Christmas lights, so we are thinking of replacing all our old non LED sets.
Have a good day everyone xxx
 
@Ellejay what is your ROM right now? I think I am entering that phase that many seem to get to at four weeks. A bit of the "this is going to take forever to be normal syndrome”. Good for you that you are thinking about the gym!!!
 
@Ellejay It's lovely to hear that you are continuing to do so well with your recovery. Seriously impressive list of exercises there too! We are both obviously very lucky in the husband department. Mine has been great too. He's out today with Ramblers and he really needs that. He comes back feeling very cheerful and relaxed.
Ive just been out for coffee with my daughter and sister in law and I did not take my cane! It was lovely not to be accompanied by that blooming tap tapping noise that's gone everywhere with me for the last six weeks. I will still use it for walks on my own but it was great without it and I felt almost normal.:loveshwr:
Enjoy your after exercise rest this afternoon. Slow and steady really does win the race, I am learning:egypdance::egypdance::yay:

Mary
 
Hi @kvhundley,
Tbh I'm not sure what my ROM is, my PT didn't take it last week, and I don't see her now until Jan 21st. The first time I saw her, before Christmas, she said it was a good 90. It seems to be the same as my right knee, which is either fantastic news, as my right knee was 120, or bad news if my right knee has deteriorated badly because I wasn't able to exercise it properly for so long because the left was so painful. I'm not too worried either way, it's only a number, and as long as I can do the important things to me,without pain, then that's all that matters. I want to ride my road bike, it took me four months after my first TKR, I think this time it will be much quick as I can ride my static much earlier this time. I know once I get into a pool to do some hydro exercises things will improve, so...onwards and upwards.....
@SuperSnapper, our husbands sound very similar, mine goes rambling on a Wednesday morning, and loves it. I'm just glad that he can get out with friends and relax, he spends all his time caring for me, it's hard for them too. I'm glad you enjoyed your outing with your family, it is such a boost to get out of the house for a while.
 
I'm getting a bit fed up with waking up between 3 and 4 in the morning, and being awake for a good hour before falling asleep again. It's fine, I can sleep in and here I am at 10.30 just finishing breakfast, but it would be nice to sleep through the night.
My husband is out with his walking group, I've promised to behave myself while he is out, and then we are going out for lunch when he gets back. I'm just wondering if having my first bath counts as behaving myself? I will take my phone into the bathroom with me. I've decided not to do much exercise today, I'm having a rest day, I know I want to make progress but think I could be aggravating my knee, a rest day will probably be good for it.
 
Deffo rest day isn't a problem and.wee bit of pampering and rest lets brain relax. Relaxed brain less stress, less stress better recovery simples just like moi

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just don't drop the phone in the bath! I thought about a bath but our bathroom is a bit chilly to hang about in too long! We have a shower room which is cosier. I bought a hotel style terry bathrobe before my op which I heat up on the towel rail before my shower and it's toasty warm when I get out! One of my better buys. My husband is out visiting his aunt so I'm lazing in bed this morning. But will have to make a move soon.
The sleep thing is odd - on days when I do more , I sleep less well. :yawn: Doesn't make sense.
Have a nice lunch.
 
Yes, I'm just the same, the more I do the less I sleep, very strange! I know a shower would be easier, but I'm longing to wallow in a deep warm bath. I've extended the heating,which is a bit extravagant so here goes. I've been so lazy, breakfast in bed before my husband went out, so I'm still in bed - it's now quarter past eleven!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it lass though all this boudoir talk is well errrrrrrr a tad sleeeep enducing
 
Yaaaaaay whooot whoooooot go girl. Have a grand luncheon date with hubby

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Brilliant bath news! I'm getting to like my new bit of knee too and it doesn't let me down like the old bit did. But not sure I'm ready for the bath even after your sterling example today. Yay! Another mega step forward in your recovery! Isn't it amazing? I hear of people waiting months for new knees and feel very lucky.
 
Congratulations! LOL how funny to congratulate someone on bathing...only here!! Hope you had a lovely lunch with your husband.
 
:rotfl::rotfl: I know @TexasTee, I was on the phone to a friend, really proud of myself, excitedly telling her I'd managed a bath, and there was this brief silence on the line....she didn't get it. I wanted to tell her how much the responses I'd had from @Legin and @SuperSnapper meant to me, but she just didn't understand. That's one of the the fantastic things about Bone Smart, we all understand how much a small achievement means to each other.
 
Excellent news on the bath! Thanks for letting us know you made it out again and aren't sitting there getting pruney waiting for your your husband to get home. :heehee:

Seriously, I'm impressed. I haven't even attempted to get in and out of the tub for a bath in years--just a shower girl. I can get on and off the floor with effort but don't try it much. Mainly because of my bad shoulder. :(
 
Hi @kneeper, how are you?
I just love my bath, and one of my big worries about having a second TKR was that it would make bathing more difficult. I didn't imagine I would be able to do it so soon, I am delighted. There are several amusing posts, earlier in this thread, about my adventures in the bath after my first TKR. I think that today's exercise was easier than the first time round.
@suedobie, I can't help you regarding the jacuzzi bath, does it have to be on jacuzzi setting all of the time? I did use the spa pool at the gym after my first TKR, but I think I was much further on in recovery. Well done on a ROM of 95, very impressive for not quite 5 weeks, and congratulations on walking properly, I keep asking my husband to check on whether I am still 'waddling'.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom