TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Good luck and physios are evil and have told them.so

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Ellejay, stopping by to say Happy New Year and hoping you are having a pain-free wonderful New Year. Take good care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Thanks @chestnc, Happy New Year to you as well. I've had a bit of a busy period as my grandson is still with me, and it is hard not to overdo it. I had a physio appointment this morning, she was very pleased with me, so that is good, but I am so tired. He goes home tomorrow, I think I will sleep all day Sunday. I do hope that you get answers to your pain issues soon and can enjoy some pain free time. XxxLyn
 
The physio appointment went very well today, she gave my knee and scar a really gentle but lovely massage, and then we went to the gym where she supervised lots of exercises and made me work hard.She is really pleased with my bend and flexion, but apparently I walk with a waddle!:chuckmarch:. I think it is so long since I walked properly she is going to have her work cut out correcting my gait. I go back in two and a half weeks and she wants to see my glutes much tighter by then- I have some hard work to do. I have dozed on and off since my appointment, thank goodness my daughter was here to look after my grandson. My son and DiL return later tonight and take him home tomorrow, I've loved his stay, but I won't be too upset to see him go.
 
Hi @Ellejay

I'm so pleased to read about you lovely PT visit. I was even more pleased when I read about she does the massage to you. It is so helpful to some people. As for glutes mine have gone forever I'm sure! No they are there but very well padded. Move over Kim Kardashian! Lol x x x

If your remember, when I was paying for private physio, you must recall "Freddie zee French Physio". He always did massages and acupuncture and they were most effective. The sheer fact that he charged me mates rates was fabulous because it meant that until my money was halved I could afford this. It was worth every penny. They seem to know what they are doing and never hurt x

I totally understand about your grandson. They are so adorable and cute, they make you laugh with their little ways but oh they are hard work. It doesnt mean you love them any less but you have the advantage of being able to hand them back x x x trouble is Lyn, you're going to find the house a bit quiet in one way but in another having the place to yourselves can be a godsend x

We had my husbands friend, wife and three kids come over unexpectedly this afternoon. Thank goodness I had done the living room. There were my two daughters, two granddaughters, me, my husband and his youngest sister. When I felt the panic arise a touch, I closed my eyes, took a couple of deep breaths and made conversation.

It was lovely to see them but when they'd all gone we both looked at each other and heaved a sign of relief. I made a cuppa and we sat and watched tv for a while.

Keep up the fantastic work Lyn, well done with your fabulous rom.

(((Big hugs))))
Love Nana moon 27 xxxxxxxxxx
 
Glad to hear such a positive report from your PT - too funny about the waddle, you'll get is sorted and find your glutes, I've no fear! I hope you are enjoying your much deserved rest day :)
 
Hi @Ellejay

I hope you've had a restful Sunday. I do hope your knees are ok from PT yesterday. Not too much problem or stiffness I hope x

It's been like a chill out zone in this house not a crossword and I'm not pertaining to puzzles!! It's that chilled hubby didn't bother going to his sisters which he normally does on a Sunday night. Got to be good x

I look forward to an update off you soon Lyn. Please take care x

Love Ann x
 
Just off out to a new craft session with a friend, first 'outing' I'm very excited, except it meant setting an alarm clock for the first time since the op! I will post on here later xxxx
 
Ooooooer not the alarm. Yaaaaay for off.out whilst it.can.be tiring what it does for your spirits far outweighs the fatigue. hmmmmmmmm what are you making me then.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I've been out all morning, my first real full outing. The library in a nearby large town is trying to start up a craft group, today was the first session,so a friend and I decided to go along to see what it was all about. We didn't do a lot, only four people turned up, but it was lovely to have an excuse to leave the house and spend time with a friend. My knee coped well, but is complaining now, it hasn't been unelevated (is that a word?) for that amount of time so far, and it is demanding ice, so the cryo cuff and recliner are calling for the rest of the afternoon and evening, and I think some day time meds, which is unusual these days.
Yesterday I devoted the day to my knee,so it should be behaving today, I did my physio exercises, had a rest, had a session on my static bike - first time, and I could get the pedals all the way round, which I couldn't do at this stage for my first tkr :yes!:. Then I rested, iced and elevated for quite a while before going for a short walk, then back to the rest, ice....
I was going to go to the gym this afternoon, but I think that would be silly, (see, I'm learning, I can be sensible), so I will just rest.
I hope you are having a good day @Nana moon 27, you sound as if everything is really improving for you, I'm so pleased.
@Legin, I'm trying to learn to knit, I'm afraid my skills aren't up to much, I'm just doing squares and scarves at the moment, sorry, nowhere near large enough for an ogre:heehee:.
 
Hi decides find u in post. That's sounds nice. I want one. My ins won't pay for it. I have try to use the homaid ones. They aren't cold enough.

I have these and there heavy. So have a rag stuff under it. But it does the job. I can only tolerate it a while. Before it gets heavy. Then take it off cause starts hurting my incision.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 149
@Ellejay. Outings! Wow! What good progress! You are continuing to do well, I see. It's really good getting out. I'm now walking out on my own every day for 20-25 mins. The knee swells a bit but not too much. Still, like you, I'm icing and elevating and being sensible. I'm thinking of going back to my German class next week but it's in the evening and I get the achy knee in the evening. Still it's great to be even thinking of getting back into things properly. I'm hoping to going back to volunteering in Oxfam in a couple of weeks just for an hour or so.
Still amazed at how well we are both doing. And spring will soon be just around the corner!
Keep up the good work. When I read about all the PT some people on this site have done, I can't believe how this has gone with minimal work!
 
I am getting worried about ROM and so is PT. Three weeks ago I was 16 and now I am 12. Very discouraging.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, I am really pleased with progress this time, and I can't say I did much exercise over Christmas and New Year, because I didn't! Obviously rest and taking it easy is the best thing for us now. 20/25 min walks sound good, well done. I'm considering going for a walk before it gets dark, the weather forecast for later on in the week is pretty bad, so I feel I should go out whilst I can, but now I'm settled in my recliner, with books and knitting, it's difficult to make the effort.
Keep up the good work xxx
 
Hi @kvhundley, I know we mustn't compare, but your ROM doesn't seem very good now. My knee bends more once I've given it a good massage with E45 cream (just a very basic, cheap, dermatological cream), and I have also used a small floor peddler/exerciser, just rotating slowly forward and back, not even doing full rotations to begin with seemed to loosen my knee joint. But if yours is very swollen, and it sounds as if it is, then you don't need to irritate it more, just lots of ice and elevation to get that swelling down, then it should bend.
 
Hi @Angel1978, I was very lucky, the hospital discharges all knee replacement patients with their own cryo cuff, and they don't want them returned afterwards. Somewhere on this site, maybe in the library, there is a recipe for home made ice bags, it might be worth a try. And do make sure that you keep your leg covered with a cloth, I use an old tea towel, don't let the ice come into contact with your skin.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom