Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Whoooot whooooot Ellejay nice one you will be fine tell them to look out for a very bubbly.verbose 20 yr old ma.daughter.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin I will tell them, but there may be one or two others that fit that description around tomorrow night.

@SuperSnapper my first scar was already a silvery thread by last summer, having thought I would never be able to wear shorts again I was quite happily going around showing my knees, this year they will,at least match. I haven't taken the new dressing off yet, I want to give it every chance to close up,so I'm not peeking.

@suedobie I realise now I've found your thread that you must have had your op the day before mine. I see Josephine hasn't answered the painkiller question yet. I am so surprised that you can manage on just Naproxen, I went to my GP before the op and asked for three months of Tramadol, and the hospital sent me home with some as well. I do advise you to get something from your GP, you can't heal properly if you are in pain. Josephine is just wonderful for giving us advice, if you want to contact her (or anyone on here) you just need to put the @ sign in front of their name.
 
Aye i know lass been in edindoodahs many times on old years night. We still can see some of the fireworks from here tho
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 -Ann, I so hope that you and your family are ok, I've been thinking of you so much these last few days. I'm sure you will be pleased to see the back of 2014. In case I don't get to speak to you before -Have a very Happy and Healthy New Year, lot of love, Lyn xxxx
 
Yes Happy New Year too Lyn. No doing the can can on New Years Eve!!!! X I left a short post on my recovery thread because there's so many messages and it seemed rude not to give a little reply. I have been pressing like and friendly buttons though.

All my love Ann xx
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all friends here. I don't think I will be able to stay awake to see the new year in, I'm looking after my grandson and missing my daytime naps (I'm sure that's the wrong way round - he should be having the naps, not me!)
As he will wake up fairly early:alarm: I think I will need an early night :yawn:, and I won't be able to have a drink anyway due to the meds, so I think I will be tucked up in my bed by midnight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
XXXX
 
@Josephine I wonder if I could ask your advice before you have other things on your mind?
I have just had my second TKR done under the NHS Choose & Book scheme at a wonderful private hospital and have been given excellent care by the same surgeon both times. He tells me that when I see him on Jan 19th at my six week check up, that will be the last time I see him, he will discharge me, the NHS won't pay for anything further. It feels a bit early to be abandoned, not that I am having any problems so far, but it is very early days. The same would have happened last year, after my RTKR, but as he was already seeing my left knee I've continued to see him throughout the year and ask any questions.
Do you think six weeks is early to be discharged? Should I see if I can book a private consultation with him at six months or a year, or just wait and see if anything crops up. I don't know that I would be allowed to mix private and NHS, and whether I would be allowed to pay for a consultation.
He has already told me that I will need to go to my GP to arrange a five year x ray, although I'm not really sure who would look at this, the private hospital won't want to know.
The Choose and Book system has many advantages, but I'm just finding out the disadvantages as well.
Happy New Year, Lyn
 
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHapppppppadoooody new anum Lyn hope many of your.hopes and wishes come.to.fruition

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Ellejay I mixed NHS and private a couple of years ago under choose and book. I had to have a colonoscopy (NHS) but the wait was 12 weeks and I was already freaked out so I paid to have it done privately with the same surgeon at the same hospital and had it done the same week and then I resorted back to the NHS for the follow up appointment. It might be ok for you to do something similar if you feel another follow up appointment would help you.
 
He tells me that when I see him on Jan 19th at my six week check up, that will be the last time I see him, he will discharge me, the NHS won't pay for anything further
It's all part of the new commissioning group's great plans to cut down on costs! We (the patient liaison group - BOA) have been campaigning about this for months but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Typical!
I don't know that I would be allowed to mix private and NHS, and whether I would be allowed to pay for a consultation.
Of course you can! I do it all the time. Just make sure you let the private hospital know you don't want any 'procedures' done such as xrays as they cost an arm and a leg!
He has already told me that I will need to go to my GP to arrange a five year x ray, although I'm not really sure who would look at this
That's the usual plan. The xrays will be reported on by an consultant radiologist and the report and films made available (electronically) to your consultant. It's possible that the secretary might screen them for no abnormalities and only put out the ones with issues for him to see. But the idea is that should you later get a problem, that xray will be on file to proved a base-line.
The Choose and Book system has many advantages, but I'm just finding out the disadvantages as well.
Oh what disadvantages have you experienced? Sometimes you just have to know how to play the system!
 
I've got my second physio appointment today. Last time I still had stapes and the scar was covered up, now it is naked and vulnerable, it is feeling quite sore. I hope she will be pleased, I've been doing all the exercises she set (hardly any). I think my ROM has probably decreased a bit, but my flexion looks good, and I can work on ROM in the coming weeks. I'll let you know what she says.
 
Back
Top Bottom