Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

No, sorry folks, chocolate at bed time is no good as a pain killer. I think I probably had my worst night so far last night. I must rethink this.
 
Sorry to hear that. Its so frustrating you think it wont end but t will. If.it doesn't you can beat up the ogre. Catch that cat for a nap when you can.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Ellejay it sounds like your dr's approach was the way to go. I started pt the day I got out (day 3)and yesterday day 5 they had me doing stairs, leg raises, heels slides, etc...it was too much. although I felt ok during the day, my pain last night was between and 8 and 9 with oxycodone. This is not right. I think easing into it is so much better and letting it heal for a couple weeks is better than heavy narcotics and aggressive exercise! Having read this forum for a couple months now I am prepared to stand up for my knee. Glad you re doing so well!
 
Hmmm hold your hand in a flame would you leave it there

Legin THR Sep 14
 
When the pain from the flame comes hours afterwards? I might. I am just trying to figure it all out.
 
Sorry bad comparison. Its trial and error in.all honesty I often did error. Its not a sprint its a marathon. With me at night leg was.truly gigantic I had to cut shorts etc. So next day.did.rest elevate. The mantras here are tried and v tested. Probably more tested than.some research. Hope pain subsides tho

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well, not a bad day so far. It was a bit of a shock to discover I'd booked my home hairdresser to come at 9.30 this morning - I haven't been up before 11.00 since the op, but I managed it. I've had quite a drastic cut for me, I've got long hair that has been layered for years and I've been trying to grow them out, but this morning I just told her to cut it so it was all one length :yikes:, I think it was the lack of sleep / meds talking? Anyway I now have shoulder length hair, which looks much thicker, and now I can grow it again, without the layers. I'm sure I (& everyone else) will get used to it.
That was exhausting so I went back to bed, but I've just walked outside for the first time, only about 350 yards, but it's a start. Now I'm collapsed in the recliner, hubby has gone to visit my Dad so I'm going to nod off for a while, chat later, xxx
 
Yeah for new hair style, we want to see!

Sorry about the rough night - funny, I would have said yesterday was the best day in weeks for my pain levels but was awake with pain a lot of the night last night and this morning is awful. There is just no figuring this!

Hopefully your exercise and fresh air will help you sleep tonight. :sleep:
 
Yup Ellejay pic of new.style I would mine but too much reflection of head and flash. Soooo not being serious today.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @SuperSnapper , I'm pleased that you recognise the efforts I went to for the cause. I might have to do the same experiment tonight just to double check my results :heehee:
I have seen sense today and even though I haven't been in pain I've taken meds every four hours, in the hope that it will help tonight. It seems strange taking pain killers when I'm not in pain, I full agree with keeping ahead of the pain, but I seem to be 12 hours ahead!
I did take a selfie to send to my daughter so she wouldn't be too traumatised by my new hair style, and I would post it here, but....it's awful! No make up, pale, I look ill! Maybe tomorrow when I have to go to the hospital, I'll see if I can get a better one.
My short walk today really took it out of me, hopefully instil sleep tonight.
 
Ellyjay, using heat on your thigh is fine. Just not in your knee area. Be sure and ice that knee as much as you can. Even if it's not swelling where you can see it, it can have some swelling in the knee compartments. They are so tight, it doesn't take much to give you pain. You'll find sleeping more comfortable if you ice all night too....both front and back of your knee.

I'm assuming you're taking a full dose of your pain meds before bed. But....if you are uncomfortable, you need to take another full dose 4-6 hours later. Set an alarm to wake up if you need to. You are still early in this recovery process and taking meds all around the clock is perfectly fine. It's important to keep the pain managed.
 
Ellyjay, using heat on your thigh is fine. Just not in your knee area.
:iagree: Heat on the muscles will help them become more pliable and allow them to stretch----but heating a knee joint is encouraging more fluids to flow to the joint, increasing swelling and stiffness.

Heat on muscles and ice after the exercises is appropriate.---but one should really never use heat on a joint.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Jamie & @referee54, I have been icing throughout the night, to help the pain rather than any swelling, but I'm sure you are right, there is probably some internal swelling. I will try a heat pad on my thigh muscles, they are by far the most painful part of me at the moment, I can't believe that is still from the tourniquet, I'm sure it was a severe case of cramp a few nights ago. I'm seeing the physio tomorrow, she may have a suggestion as well. You would think the second time round I would get the pain meds right wouldn't you? I have taken full doses all day today, by the clock, hopefully it will help. Thank you again for your help, I am very grateful to you both.
 
LOL! I had a haircut on 16th November! It looks shaggy now and I look washed out too but I'm ignoring it.
Glad you had your walk but the exhaustion is the pay off. I have a nasty pain behind my kneesie as a result of my jaunt so iced and elevated lots this evening. Swings and roundabouts. I bet you look good with your new look but you'll have to get used to it.

Sleep tight x
 
I remember making sure come heck or high water that I got to my haircut appointment about a month in. :)
 
Hi Ellejay. Haven't posted for a while and didnt know you had your second knee done. You sound very cheerful anyway apart from the meds. Hope you sort them soon. Its a little hit and miss in the first few weeks isnt it. You will be taking it easy his Christmas then but just think of next year. You will be running rings around everyone. This is the busiest I've been at Christmas for a good few years and I'm really enjoying it. My non TKR knee is brilliant probably because it's not doing the work of two knees now. It's taken a while but I got here in the end. I'm not sure how everyone is doing but I hope all is well. Take Care And it was nice to catch up with you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello @Ellejay

I'm glad you've got the pain under control now. I hope that your fast asleep getting some decent rest before PT later. Xxx

I'm desperately trying to get my hair back into a side fringe. The full fringe is too thick for my face and very square on a square face.

Anyway good luck with the PT. I will look for your posts xx

Love Ann xxx
 
Yay! I slept! I woke for meds, or to change ice packs, but then immediately fell asleep again, I feel so good this morning. I hope I can still say that after the physio appointment today.I will keep up the 'full meds' routine for a while even though I don't feel as if I need pain killers during the day, anything to get a good nights sleep. I'll post later with news of PT xx
 
Back
Top Bottom