TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

@TexasTee , there is a bell ringing app you can download on your phone. Shake the phone and it rings like a bell. I think your shiny new husband would LOVE that! ;-) It's not annoying at all..........:heehee:

Awww Lyn, I'm so sorry that you were in such pain last night. To be just a few days out from surgery, I would think you might require a bit more than Tramadol and Tylenol to get you through the rough spots. I wasn't able to downgrade from my Oxy to Tramadol for a couple of months (now we know why - boo), so I'm impressed that you've done so well so far on what most consider a 'step down' pain med from the big guns. I hope you've found some peaceful rest today and that your plush duvet has done the trick. xoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Ellejay - life is hectic at the moment, but we have just come down to our other house in Dorset, so I have spent a quick few minutes with a cup of coffee catching up on what has been happening. So sorry you had a bad night last night, but hope the Christmas decorations met with your approval when you inspected them!
Glad you are looking forward to next year's caravanning - it will be great, and I have no doubts that you will be cycling around like a mad thing too. Sounds as if all is going really well with #2 knee - and I am so pleased for you. You will be totally geared up for mega Granny duties next year with the second baby coming!

This week I have been merrily scooting up and down on the step stool to clean the inside windows before Christmas and then decorate our Christmas trees (daughter absolutely refused to let me go up into the loft ....... although I could have managed). Today was my piece de resistance - we launched our new boat and once the trailer was in the water I took hold of the rope, locked my legs and pulled the boat from the trailer into the water. I drove back to our house while hubby motored the boat to our berth at home. I went up the ladder one side of the wall, over the top and down the ladder the other side with no problem, and would have climbed onto the boat if it wasn't for wearing boots with heels and the excessive amount of icky duck excrement on the pontoon! I then climbed back up the ladder - no probs. This time last year walking was difficult - need I say more??

Hope everything continues to go well Lyn, this time last week you still had your fingers X'd that the op would go ahead - look at you now, all done and dusted! Onwards and upwards ...........

Take care and keep well, much love
XXXXX
 
Hello friends, I'm a lot happier now. @Nana moon 27 I hope I'm back on top of the meds, I've had quite a few cat naps today, tucked up under the duvet. I did get up for a while this afternoon and sat at the computer, I'm trying to make a photo book for my grandson showing all of his visits to us this year, with simple captions underneath the pictures - once a teacher always a teacher! Last time round I texted my hubby to tell him I was awake and ready for tea, but I didn't think that was fair at 5.25 this morning :no-fin:.
@dogwheels, your activities in Dorset have left me open mouthed, isn't it just wonderful that you can do all that, and will have such a great summer next year, playing in and around the boats. I know I've done the right thing having the second knee done, I want my freedom back as well. My DiL pointed out that I would soon need two knees for story time.
@TexasTee, I really recommend having the bed to yourself, whichever bed you choose. I was so restless last night my(old and not so shiny, but fully trained) husband wouldn't have got much sleep. Remember,they need to be in top form to meet our every need during our recoveries :heehee:.
Hopefully last night was just a blip, I am actually surprised at how little pain I have had, hopefully it will continue to be like that.
Good night folks, I can feel another doze coming on xxxx
 
Wow @dogwheels you are doing amazing. How fantastic. Up and down a ladder, pulling a rope with a boat. I'm so pleased you got that. Wonderful stuff, wonderful recovery xx

@Ellejay I hope the sleep fairies visit you and give you a pain free, sleep well night.
I thought these might cheer you up xx

broken link removed: https://www.liveluvcreate.com/tags/3/tenage_post.html [Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Thank you @Nana moon 27, it worked as I had a really good night last night. I was keeping up with meds during the night, but went back to sleep instantly, I've woken feeling very good today.
Hubby is preparing me what seems to be a multi course breakfast, kiwis, fresh apple juice, I think porage is on it's way. He is determined to get as many vitamins down me as possible, which is good.
 
Oh @Ellejay I'm ever so pleased you had a goodnight sleep. I'm even more pleased that your hubby is looking after you
Take care Lyn llove Ann xxxxxx
 
Kiwi is chock full of vitamin C which you need a ton of to repair tissue - hope there was some bacon with the cereal? You need protein and what is better than an excuse to eat bacon?!
 
@TexasTee, we have literally been having a conversation about food, him from downstairs, me up here...me: I think there's some bacon, Him: yes, but there's fish and chicken to be used up, me: bacon would be good, him:the fish and chicken need using up first. So I'm now thinking, when he gets breakfast in the morning, I will suggest the bacon, he is hardly going to swap fish or chicken at breakfast time is he???? The odd thing is that all this food seems such a good idea, and I don't have to lift a finger, it is delivered to me on a tray, but after a couple of mouthfuls I just can't eat anymore. I do hope I'm not still like this for Christmas, I've bought all sorts of goodies, I've got used to the idea my pregnant DiL and I won't be drinking, but not eating as well? Oh well, I do need to lose weight.
How are you, I hope you are OK. Do you have much more preparation to do for Christmas. Having done it all before my op I'm really bored now, and I'm missing my exercise, I'm sure that's partly why I'm not hungry, I'm not doing anything. My small peddle exerciser came out of the loft today, I do think one week out is a bit soon to use it, but it is there, ready for me the moment I feel it's right.
Lyn xxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, hopefully I will sleep, who knows? I'm not in any form of routine yet. I did have a long nap this morning, but I've been awake since then, so we will see.
How are you my friend? Did your family put up with you giving them instructions on how to do the Christmas Decorations, or did you just let them get on with it? I have been shown some pictures on a phone so I can see what the downstairs of my house looks like. I am thinking I might start going down on Monday, if I only go down once, for lunch, and up again once at bedtime it should be OK. I am getting very bored stuck up here.
I hope you get a good nights sleep Ann,
Lots of love, Lyn xxx
 
Hi Lyn - here's to hoping you are sleeping now and getting bacon for breakfast! I'll be precooking and freezing several pounds of it for my recovery. My husband is willing but not able...he's a nightmare in the kitchen for anything other than slicing. He is the KING of slicing/dicing/chopping but apply heat to it and all bets are off.

Way over did it today - 90m bikram yoga class this morning, errands and cleaning and yard work early afternoon, glass blowing workshop to make an ornament and then cooking for my Peter Murphy (Australian shepherd) he has an infection so cannot eat his normal raw meat and bones diet - the vet sent something that smells, and apparently tastes, revolting and he won't eat it so I've been making him chicken and rice with ginger/pumpkin and turmeric. Anyway - said all of that to say this - my recliner got delivered while I was at the glass place and I just sat in it, put my feet up and it feels like a team of angels have placed me on some warm fluffy cloud. Best. Purchase. Ever!

So glad you're restraining yourself and getting the healing going - I can't imagine how boring, very thankful my home is one story, no need to be isolated. That cannot be helping but go you on being patient!

Christmas prep is finished, I think, anything now is just extra. Well, hmmm - I always have a fairly over the top Christmas party...this year, I thought it best to not since it's a lot of work...I've had no less than a dozen people ask me when it is. I know I shouldn't...just don't know if I will! :-)
 
@TexasTee, mmmm, I feel a party coming on???? :santaclap:. Before my op I just went for it, did everything I would normally have shied away from, I was about to get a new knee anyway so what harm could I do? So long as the pain killers could keep me going I decided I wanted to enjoy life, as the next few weeks would be so quiet.
And quiet they are - lots of texts and phone calls, but everyone is so busy with Christmas prep I'm not getting any visitors. Last time I had friends pop in as soon as I was home, but nearly a week now and not one visitor. I totally understand, it is the busiest time of year, but it is getting a bit lonely now.
It certainly sounds as if you are very busy, the recliner has arrived at the right time, make use of it now.
Take care, xxxxx Lyn
 
@Ellejay i had quite a few visitors in week one but the steam dried up . Either they're all bored or busy! Or they think I should be completely better by now. However I do have two friends coming this week. All the family are off out to a family do this afternoon but I don't quite feel ready yet. It will be busy with lots of young children so I'm giving excuses. There's always the TV :hairpulling:!
Hope you have a good day
Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper why is it that when I look to see what's on TV I can't find a thing to interest me, and yet when I go to the iPlayer site I always find something that has obviously been on in the last few days but I've missed it? I don't know what I would have done without iPlayer this last week.
 
@Ellejay. I've been using iplayer a lot too. We have Sky TV and I can work it from my iPad. Hundreds of channels and nearly all rubbish! I am gradually getting enough concentration to read a bit now - makes a good alternative when I am really fed up.
My big happening of the last two days is that I've reduced and stopped taking Tramadol . I've had very little pain and swelling recently so controlling the swelling with ice and elevation and paracetamol is working for the small amount of pain. I can't quite believe it but it's really good as my Kidney disease doesn't need any extra strain.
So no Tramadol for over 48 hours!
Hope you are having a good weekend x
 
@SuperSnapper Thats great news, you are doing so well, congratulations. I know some people find this a really hard thing to cope with, and others sail through relatively easily. I suppose we are all different, but I am so pleased that you are doing well. I am still gently pottering about upstairs, so I'm only taking Tramadol at night, once I start going down, and maybe doing a bit more, then I may need to up the tramadol during the day. I've got my first physio session on Friday, which seems very early, I will take one before I attend for that.
I hope you are enjoying your weekend, I'm sitting upstairs smiling to myself as my daughter tries to get my husband to do the things I ask him to do every year when decorating the tree and putting up the lights. She says she's worried that she's turning into me - I think it's already happened :rotfl: Xx
 
@Ellejay I think you are doing pretty well with only that level of pain meds too.
I know what you mean about daughters , my daughter even looks like me! She's very close to her dad.

Just found a programme on iplayer - Sounds of the sixties! Hilarious! Pinky And Perky, Lenny the Lion ! I think that's what we thought of as entertainment! Simpler times!
 
Well, I was convinced that I was in trouble last night, you know how at night time everything is always 10 x worse anyway...my left thigh was rock hard, very painful and hot, so I was convinced I had a DVT, but as I drifted in and out of Tramadol induced 'fog' I didn't wake enough to do anything about it. On waking I think it must have been cramp - my thigh is still very sore, walking is painful, not because of the knee but because of the thigh, but it is back to it soft flabby self again, not hard, not hot, so DVT alarm over. It was certainly frightening at the time, and very painful.
Hubby is about to surgically remove me from my iPad, I've asked for a new case for Christmas and so he wants to take the iPad with him, which I can understand - but what am I going to do all morning?
Chat later, xxxx
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom