TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Wow you have that many steps making it daunting to go up and down with ease? I hope they are not as difficult when you do them.

No @chestnc, it's not that I live in a mansion,:rotfl: it's just that I really want to be careful and not to do stairs at all if I can avoid them. I can easily spend a few days upstairs, resting my knee so it gets a bit stronger before I do tackle the stairs.
I'm really pleased that my husband felt able to go out with his walking group this morning. He had arranged for my daughter to come round and sit with me, which was good, we had a great time chatting and catching up, and he still enjoyed his weekly walk. She has stayed on and the two of them have been very busy this afternoon decorating the house for Christmas. I've had a sleep while they have been up and down into the loft right outside my bedroom! I can't wait to go down to see it when it's all finished. They have decided not to bring the tree inside yet, it's a real one in a massive tub, and too long inside isn't going to do it much good, but apparently all the lights are up and all my usual knick knacks are out - I'm so excited, so much for not doing the stairs.

@Nana moon 27, my daughter noticed some large bruises from the blood thinning injections, and we were discussing now lucky I was not to have to continue with them, they hurt - the tablets are much better.
 
Morning lovely lady. How are you today. I wanted to send you a nice box of roses so here you go...they're calorie free, I promise!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
Ha ha ha :heehee: no seriously the flowers are you cheer you up Lyn. Well done I'm proud of how you're recovering again x x x

Love Ann x x x
 
Well here I am, day 4 already, 2 days/nights at home and I am getting into a routine. I am amazed (& very pleased) at how little pain I have this time, and how good my bend is already. I am taking everything slowly and carefully, but this morning I have done my straight leg raises and heel slides just about effortlessly. I'm sure it will hit me soon, and I will have to start from the beginning again, but for the meantime I am happy with progress. I woke at 4 am for medication, but was able to go straight back to sleep again. I am very tired, but I can snooze during the day, so.... So far so good!
 
@Nana moon 27 - the roses are so beautiful, thank you very much, I can almost smell them! What a lovely thought my dear friend. How are you this morning after all your activity yesterday?
 
Your doing so well @Ellejay you must be so pleased,your right about sorting my knee out,it seems to be getting worse by the day, all the Christmas stuff to do and shopping not helping.I do hope you get to see your grandson's christmas play we went to our first one on Monday another two to go but all so special.hope you have a nice pain free day.
 
@Ellejay Wow! Heel slides that don't hurt! I'd have liked some of those. I found heel slides so difficult at first. You are doing so well. And getting some good sleep in too. I think that's really important. So pleased to hear all your good news.
I'm doing ok here but last night probably because I was getting cocky my knee threw in a new couple of pains! One was a sharp stab down the front of my shin and the other was a deep thigh ache on the unoperated side . Don't know why it happened last night. Hadn't done anything new or extra. Guess that's just a knee for you. They've both gone now and I woke at four two!

Have a good day with lots of rest x
 
Hi @Ellejay

Thanks for asking. I think in okay. Haven't got up yet. Just had breakfast and took meds. Tbh I could just go back to sleep x leg raises Lyn, well done x x x x x
 
Good for you @Ellejay, you seem to be progressing nicely. Keep up the good work and keep those pain elves far away from you. Have many more good days. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Lyn, just been reading your post-op thread. Seems things are going OK - well done you. I think one of the hardest things must be trying not to compare with the other knee. Remember to get some gin & tonic with that ice!
I took my cryo-cuff into hospital I was so keen to get icing & the staff didn't know how to use it - ah me!
Keep on keepin on & say hello to David. My David sends his love x:GB house:Does your house look like this?
 
@reetpteet
Hi Rita, lovely to hear from you. Have you been spying on my house? :chris-win: No, it's quite restrained really, which is surprising as my daughter has been in charge of the decorations, my David has been keeping her on a tight rein. I expect this is a really really busy time of year for both of you, but it must be so gratifying.
So far in this recovery I have certainly been lucky, I'm trying not to compare, but I'm not in as much pain as last time, and I do have more bend. I feel that I am being lazy, I am resting, elevating icing and exercising, nothing else, so I am being waited on hand and foot, but if that's what the knee wants, that's what it will get.
I did ask about using my Cryo cuff from the first op but ....guess what...Health &Safety....it's a hygiene issue, they only use them once :hairpulling: .
We are in the process of booking the same site/rally in France for next September, but hopefully staying out a bit longer once the rally has finished. We won't be able to get away for our usual long trip in May/June, as grand child no 2 should arrive then, all being well.
Thank you for thinking of me,

:merryx: To both of you from both of us xxxxx
 
I've just given myself a bit of a shock, I removed the delightful TEDs for a few minutes relief and saw the extent of the bruising on the back of my calf. It wasn't there this morning when I had a wash, but it has really come out today, part of the bruising looks like finger marks, so I assume the OS must have gripped my leg tightly. Last time I remember the upper part of the leg being bruised, where the tourniquet was, but I don't remember the lower part. So that's somewhere else to ice now.
 
@Ellejay I was just thinking that about this time last week you were so worried that your cold might stop surgery and there you are alL done and dusted and trying to get rid of your bruises, how time does pass quickly post op!
I had hardly any bruising on my leg but some on my back, arms and bottom. There was a bit of yellow bruising on my shin but not enough to mention.
Hope you've had a restful day.
My bend is now about 110 and I can get my knee almost flat so I'm hoping I'll pass muster at physio tomorrow. It's a lot less painful now altogether and the constant need for ice has lessened although I'm still using it quite a lot. Especially at night when the knee elves are a bit more active. But it does ache when I have the knee down so I do still need to elevate almost all day. However I feel less of an invalid. :yahoo:
Are you caravanners? I read your post above. We caravanned for years but Mr P got a bit fed up of it. I still miss the freedom.
 
I am praying for sleep fairies to work their magic x x

tonight I have that nice sense of achievement. I made my first ever homemade Christmas card. I posted it on the Christmas craft thread xxx

Please sleep,well Lynne x x x x
 
Yes @SuperSnapper, we are very keen caravaners. We treated ourselves to a luxury small tourer as our retirement present to each other and spend as much time away in it as we can, grand parent duties permitting. This summer we spent eight weeks touring the Mediterranean coast, from Monaco to Spain, and another three weeks in Autumn on France's west coast. We have used it for 100 nights this year. Having always had our holiday in August, we are loving time away in May, June, July and September. It is the freedom that I love.
ROM of 110 is fantastic,well done you, I'm sure the physio will be delighted with you. elevating most of the day at this stage is still the right thing to do, even though you have good bend and flex ion remember your body has undergone severe trauma and will need a while to recover properly.
You are right, just a week ago and I was in the depths of despair, now here I am moaning about bruises - some people are never happy :heehee:.
Have a restful, pain free night, and good luck with the physio appointment tomorrow, I will check in later to see how you got on xxx
 
Unfortunately the naughty elves got in before the sleep fairies arrived and I had my worst night so far. A mixture of Tramadol and Paracetamol didn't seem to have any effect on the pain and I've been awake since 5.30 willing my husband to wake up and make tea. I think tonight I get to keep the tea maker in MY room. I think today will be a dozy duvet day. Chat with you all later xxx
 
@Ellejay

Without stating the obvious, are you taking your meds by the clock with the sleep gap in between your 24 hours doses? If the meds are not working right and it gets unbearable, Lyn please phone your GP for advice. He might give you something extra to help you. I can't stand that you're in pain.

It might also pay you to tag Josephine in. Sometimes she comes up with stuff I've forgotten or didn't know. That might be a good option for you. X x x

Sending you a ((((((big hug)))))) xxxx

Love Ann x x x
 
Sorry you had a rough night - hope your duvet includes lots of "healing". Are you able to ice overnight? Sorry you were tealess for so long.

The jury is still out at my house as to wether of not my shiney new husband stays in the guest room or with me in the master. There is no question of me going to the guest room - even though the bed is higher and the bath closer, the temperpedic mattress, AKA cloud of dreams is in the master :sleep: ANY way - if he's in the guest room and I'm across the house, how will he know when he needs to get up and bring me stuff?
 
Back
Top Bottom