@Nana moon 27, @dogwheels, @robynhood, @marmora@yiayia3 thank you so much for your kind messages.
I have officially retired, much as I've enjoyed my little 'foray' this week I think I prefer my freedom to come and go as I like, so I don't think I will be answering any job adverts, but it is good to know 'I've still got it', and not on the scrap heap yet.
A ah, thank you @Nana moon 27, it is good to see you over here. I will start using my thread in earnest again soon. I had my pre op assessment appointment through today - next Monday - it's getting closer and closer now, it's beginning to feel real and a bit frightening.
I had to laugh the other day, the blood donation people sent me through an appointment so I had to phone them to say I needed it more than they did, I explained why, and told him that was the reason I hadn't given blood for over a year and I was having the same operation again, so please not to send another appointment until next summer. He went away, then came back and said he'd looked it up and I could give blood again after seven DAYS!!! I laughed and said he had obviously never had a knee replaced, could he please look again, he did, but he insisted his book said seven days. What rubbish!
That's funny oh I bet his face was a a picture the other end of that phone.
It's nice to visit you on your thread. We will all be here for you still. Good luck with Monday I'm sure you'll be fine. You've kept so very active and fit, so everything should be okay x this date is coming round so fast. It seemed ages away and now it near.
That nervousness is OK---it is normal---you "know the drill", so to speak.
I also felt, at times, a rush of excitement as I knew I would be losing the arthritic pain that kept me up at nights and kept me from enjoying my active lifestyle.
Remember---we will be here for you to get you through this!
@referee54 - thank you for your kind words, I know it all makes sense, you are right. I am so looking forward to being able to play properly with my grandson, to be able to walk rather than crawl up the stairs and sleep without pain, but as the date draws nearer I keep remembering the first few weeks. Then I think - "This time next year I will........." And suddenly it all seems worthwhile.
I totally understand Lyn - I've talked myself out of doing this about once an hour, at least. i know I need it - but goodness is it a huge "optional" undertaking!
I tried braces; I tried pills, I tried icing after my activities----there were no options left for me if I wanted to do the things that I enjoyed so much. I felt the world beginning to close in around me as my lifestyle became so terribly restrictive. I felt depressed at times and equally frustrated.
My back was to the wall, so to speak---the only action left was to take drastic action.
It was worth it. I am back enjoying my life and doing all of the things that I love to do so much.
It's only natural that you're going to be nervous. We have all gone through this stage you are going through. I know my recovery was that tiny percentage that wasn't right but everybody I've seen who had it done around the same time as me are back at work, getting on with their lives. I have to say since the revision 7 weeks ago the joint feels normal. I start hydrotherapy next week and that is the start to my normal life again. I need to get back to work.
My left knee has totally gone and the surgeon at best said it needs replacing. I got upset and he said there was not other option but he would be prepared to do an arthroscopy, to buy me some time. He said injections are not going to work on it as it has tricompartmental Osteo arthritis and arthritis behind the patella. There is no cartilage it is bone on bone. He asked how much pain I'm in. Well how would I know with the amount of morphine I'm on. I'm down to 50mg a day and I'm starting to really feel the pain in my left knee now. I'm seeing him in January. I need to try and get back to work for a while, before this is done if possible.
So I do feel for you TexasTee x please feel free to contact me anytime you want for support. Even though I've been through the mill, since the revision the pain is far far less than before, the swelling is far less than before and does not even resemble the preoperative arthritic pain I had before. That was just awful x x x
I hope that you can have the same recovery as before. You were truly inspirational along with @dogwheels, @yiayia3@Yorkshiregal54. Yorkshiregals walk up the inca trail was awesome. You will be done I'm sure x x x x
Hi all @Ellejay your bound to feel nervous,but I know you will be fine, one very stoic lady.
I may will be in your shoes in January, left knee not getting any better and sort of know what the O.S will say when I see him,but it would be great to have 2 strong knees.
Tomorrow is my twins 39th birthday really don't know where those years have gone,will be a hectic weekend the pic is of them at 2years old.have a good night all x
Hi @yiayia3,
I wouldn't wish it on anyone but...... It would be good to be knee buddies again.
It is my son's 32nd birthday on Sunday, we will have a big family lunch and tea together. My daughter is making his cake - a penguin, I'll post a picture here next week. The photo of your twins is gorgeous, doesn't it seem strange to be starting all over again with grandchildren? I found myself phoning our local cycle shop today to enquire about toddler bikes ( we are buying my grandson his first bike for his 3rd birthday in a few weeks), it only seems like yesterday we were going there for my sons first bike! (I wished we'd kept it, they are very expensive now)
Have a great weekend xxx
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.