TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hoping things went well today Ellejay. Got everything crossed for you. ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's good news......I'm having a guided cortisone shot on Thursday morning, and......a LTKR on Dec 6th :happydance:.
My OS was just lovely, agreed that the knee had deteriorated and was in a very bad state, said I didn't need to wait the 18 weeks and of course I could have a shot to keep me going until then. I think I could fall in love with that man:loveshwr:. There is just the possibility that the date could change as he has to apply for funding, but he said it was unlikely to change, so, fingers crossed that's it.
I had planned a big family Christmas, I'm not sure about that now, I think I will need my spare room for me. My husband has just said he could sleep in the caravan, I'm not sure if that is him being his helpful self, or him just trying to find some peace and quiet during a family Christmas :heehee:. My daughter has agreed to cook Christmas dinner, I think she would quite like to do it. I must start cooking and freezing as much as I can beforehand.
Thank you all for you kind and supportive messages over the past few days, I have so appreciated each and every one of them
 
Wonderful to hear!!! So happy for you! Good luck on Thursday and I'll mark December 6th on my calendar! xoxox
 
Thats good news Ellejay. At last something positive. Sending you lots of love and hugs ❤️❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes Ellejay! My first tkr was Dec 9th last year. I do a huge Christmas Eve but was not up to it. This time I am fine after 3 weeks and I hope yours goes just as well!!
 
@DogLoverx3 , @yiayia3, @marmora , @Minnie's knees, @robynhood, @TexasTee, @Jozilla

Thank you all so much for your friendly and supportive messages, it is so lovely to have people who understand that I'm pleased about this operation. All of my friends have been commiserating with me, but they haven't suffered the pain that we all have.
I've spent all day standing and both knees are screaming at me now. We are off to Devon on Saturday, but as I having my cortisone shot tomorrow, I will need to rest for two days, so I've had to do all the baking and pack the caravan in one day, too much really. I've given up on the Meloxicam (Modic), it had no effect on the pain at all, but just paracetamol doesnt touch the pain, I do hope this shot tomorrow works. I'm off to sit down and watch Bake Off.
I hope everyone is well, I will have plenty of time over the next couple of days to read through posts as I will be in the recliner doing absolutely nothing.
 
@Ellejay

Yes, it is very good to have people in your life that know what you mean when talking about TKR.
The cortisone injection should ease your pain and a week in your caravan in Devon sounds lovely.

Rest, relax and enjoy your week.
Cathie
 
@Ellejay, I love how organized you are! Sorry your knees don't appreciate it though. Also sorry that the Meloxicam didn't work for you. I can't remember if you're able to take Tramadol or not. If so, a combination of that along with the Tylenol worked really well for me post surgery (and still). I know they've just made it a controlled substance, so no clue how stingy your OS will be with it, but ask tomorrow. Couldn't hurt to have some on hand at least (and to start stockpiling for after surgery) :thud:
 
I'm sitting here resting after the cortisone shot. I hope it works this time, the previous ones have all worked, and given me between two and three months of pain relief. The doctor I always see does this using ultrasound so he knows exactly where to put the needle. Today he greeted me like an old friend, I so love the hospital I go to, everyone is so kind, there is never any waiting time, and the NHS will pick up the bill, I am very lucky. Today's injection was a bit different, he did what he usually does, and drained the cyst at the back of the knee, he started to aspirate the front of the knee, prior to putting in the steroid, but then he realised that the liquid he was drawing out was actually the steroid he'd put in the back compartment. Apparently the two compartments have become linked even though they shouldn't be, it shows that my knee is bad. Fingers crossed somehow it gets to the right part of the knee and starts working. In the meantime I'm doing as I've been told and resting for two days.
 
Be sure to ice. My doc always tells me to do that on the day of.
 
Oh!.......I've only just seen this, hopefully it won't be too late if I do it today. With no signs of any swelling I stupidly didn't think to ice, I will rectify that right now. Thanks @kneeper
 
Good Morning @Ellejay

Hope that the injection has knocked in and that your knee and you are more comfortable.

Enjoy your week away it will great having your brother and his wife next to you.

Should make for some long after dinner chats and laughs, as it is always so relaxing to be away from home and the days seem endless and relaxing.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Greet to hear from you Cathie, yes, we are having lots of laughs, tinged with a little sadness whenever we startto talk about Dad and his situation.
Well, there is definitely a small improvement since the cortisone shot, my knee is still more painful than it was before the arthroscopy, but it is less painful than this time last week. Isn't it just stupid that I had to have the scope, making things much worse, before the OS is allowed to give me a TKR, what a waste of NHS funds.
Today I managed a short walk along some cliffs , overlooking a fantastic surfing beach at Woolacombe. I was glad of my jumper and jacket, but there were loads of surfers walking around with bare chests and bare feet - they must be mad. The beach was really busy, nearly all surfers, something I hadn't expected at this time of year.
I hope everyone else had had a good weekend. xxx Lyn
 
Glad the shot worked a little - at least - enjoy your trip!!
 
@Ellejay
Congrats on your December date!! It will go very fast. Glad to hear your daughter is cooking for Christmas, you will be able to rest and enjoy the chaos.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom