TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Welcome home Ellejay. Sorry the scope didn't work. Silly thing is as I remember it you wernt too keen to have it were you. A TKR is the sensible option. My right knee which was causing so much pain seems a lot stronger and less painful now. I think it's because I get out a lot more and do so much more walking and exercise. You're so lucky with your husband. Mine is the opposite which makes me glad I don't need another TKR just yet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Ellejay and welcome home. Where has all the sun gone? It's cold and drizzly here today. Boo!
I am so very sorry that the arthroscopy didn't help AND has been so painful. I must have been one of the lucky ones as I had a lot of work done with both of mine and they were hugely improved afterwards.

I know nothing about what pain relief medication is available here, but just thought I would say that my man always gave me Co-dydramol after arthroscopy.
I think he likes prescribing codeine, as that, plus paracetamol was what I was given for pain relief in hospital after the TKR. @yiayia3 was also given co-dydramol - perhaps its a local thing?

Hope you get the washing mountain sorted - the washing isn't so bad, its the ironing. I thank heavens for a steam generator iron and an ironing lady who since my TKR has dealt with all the boring bits for me.

Bet you cant wait to see what your OS has to say - hang on in there Lyn.

XXXX
 
@dogwheels, thank you for that friendly and comforting message. I was given codeine after two arthroscopies and Co-dydramol (isn't that lovely - my spell checker wanted to change that to dream maker :),) after the other one. I didn't even half finish the packs, but luckily saved them, and naughtily have used them all up this time. They helped for a short time, but not very well. Today I am resorting to Meloxicam, (Modic), I have two boxes, I was prescribed it but because of the success of the cortisone injections I didn't actually use it. It's a once a day medication, so it's not really working at the moment, I don't know how long it will take to 'kick in'.
As for the ironing, I used to hate it with a vengeance, and had an ironing lady when we were both working and the children were in school uniforms. Since we've both retired I find that there isn't too much of it, I have an ironing press so I quite enjoy sitting down watching something on TV or iPlayer during the afternoon, maybe it's just not having to do it in the evening any more that makes it seem a nicer chore. We are off to Devon for another trip soon, so I need to get it all done and repacked into the caravan, although I think we may need warmer things this time. When is your exciting trip to Budapest? I would love to explore cities, but we only ever go to the countryside, my husband worked in the City of London for all of his career and hates cities now. He won't even go to Paris, and we spend so much time in France. I take my daughter when I want a trip there. She and I are supposed to be going up the Shard together next month (as long as I can walk then), hubby won't even do that with me, " I spent 50 years in London, why would I want to go back?"
It is sunny now, but nowhere near the high 20s temperatures I have been used to for the last three weeks. We are off to visit Dad this afternoon, my family all tell me he has really deteriorated recently, and that I will notice a difference in the short time I've been away. His memory is failing rapidly, I just hope he remembers me!
Have a lovely day, xxx
 
Hi Ellejay pleased you had a good trip but sorry your knee is still bad what a pain to go through an arthroscopy for nothing.
We are still enjoying the sun in Spain get the ferry from Santander to Plymouth next Wednesday and then home by the weekend. We have been doing lots of walking up and down hills both knees not liking it at all so resting today.
Do hope you get some answers when you see you O.S, take care Terri
 
Hello again @Ellejay - I hope that your visit to your dad went OK and that his health and memory has not deteriorated too greatly. My Mum is pretty good, but has got quite forgetful of late. She came back this afternoon from her holiday with her friend and confessed to feeling a bit odd while she was away. It turns out that she had not asked the chemist to refill her prescription and deliver it in advance for her holiday. As she is delivered a weeks worth at a time, all organised into day and time, it means that for the best part of her week away she has gone without the vast number of meds she takes for her heart, COPD and a host of other ailments. Eeek! I told her to ring her GP and 'just explain to them what you have done'. Her GP wants to see her tomorrow.

I am well impressed that you have mastered the ironing press. My friend persuaded me to buy one (she didn't have to try hard as I love gadgets .......... but not as much as clothes!) I think I have used it all of 5 times. Most of our beds are Superking and I just cannot get the duvet covers folded properly to press. I considered selling it on eBay, but its so heavy and no one seems to want them at the moment.

We are off to Budapest in 10 days, and are really looking forward to it. Not only is it somewhere we have been meaning to go to for ages, but we have flights at sensible times and I have booked extra legroom seats. The suite that hubby insisted on booking 'in case your knee hurts and you need to rest for a while' is ridiculously big, and comes complete with lounge, dining area and kitchen. We'll have wifi so I'll try and post some pics. A friend tells us that where we are staying (Castle Hill in Buda) is amazing, the rest he says is reminiscent of a John Le Carre novel. Can't wait.

When are you off to Devon? Daughter has just booked a Christmas Shopping trip for us both to Exeter in November when the Christmas markets start. She did both her degrees at Exeter and loved it there, so she'll use any excuse to return. It's a shame your husband is so jaundiced by the City - mine just loves it. That said he only had 2 stints working in London - but was always up there for business meetings. However he has a dislike of air travel and hotels, having spent so much of his working life on long haul flights. He also dislikes wearing suits and calls them 'school uniform'. Shame because he looks great in a suit - makes a change from sailing gear!

I need a cuppa so am going to love and leave you. Hope your knee is a little better tomorrow.

XXX
 
Hi @Ellejay, decided to visit my friend's threads and that includes you who stop by my thread and are so supportive. I am sorry the scope did not work. I am actually afraid of scopes. My first OS had booked me and was going to scope me before I even knew what was going on. I went to another facility after two recommendations to another OS who when he saw my knee x-ray, he said there was nothing to scope. I was at the bone on bone situation already and the only answer was TKR at that point. And you know it has been a struggle and I have had some set backs, but it is almost a year and I am now able to say I am glad I did it. My son looked at my knees tonight and he forgot it was the right one. He asked me was it the left one done as he was looking at it. The scar is barely visible and knock on wood, I don't feel pain in the knee. I hope you are feeling better soon Ellejay. have a good day and a great pain-free weekend. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Calling in to say Hi. Hope your Dad was ok. My worry at the moment is kids. Always something isn't there. Settle in well now you're home, hope your pain is manageable. Hugs❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you for your friendly message @chestnc, I'm glad your TKR knee is doing so well. Mine is now eight months old and I am absolutely thrilled with it, which is why I want the left one done ASAP.
@robynhood, I've just about settled back home, still haven't tackled the ironing though, that's what I should be doing now :bignono:.
It is difficult being the 'middle generation' isn't it? I've been up to see Dad this morning, he is on antibiotics for a urine infection, because he just won't drink enough and needs an eye on him all the time to make sure he is eating and drinking properly. At the same time I'm being asked to have my grandson to stay next week as my son & DiL have a problem with work and getting him to nursery, the trouble is, with my knee so bad I just can't cope with him for four days. I hate to say no, but I've had to for the first time ever. I also have two hospital appointments as well as caring for Dad, so it just isn't possible this time.
I was invited back to the school I was last teaching in,to their Founders Day, this morning. I dressed up smartly and tried some heeled shoes, but it just wasn't possible,so out came my sensible Hotter shoes again - dead comfortable, very practical BUT.....!!!!!
It was so lovely to meet up with all the staff and the children that remembered me,so many came up to say hello, I've had a lovely day.
Now, to that ironing:sad::blackcloud::groan:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Ellejay, Sounds like you did enjoy yourself @ the Founder's day. So nice the children remembered you. You are so brave to be up to having the other knee done. Though my course was okay, I am a big chicken. The operation part I am okay with, but the recoup and physical therapy part afterwards is no joke...
As for heels, I know exactly what you mean. With post TKR and RA, I have adjusted to wearing 1 and 1/2" heels for short periods of time and carrying dressy flats. I am not in for hurting feet and knees. I went to a luncheon last Saturday and dressed smartly with a 1 and 1/2" heel shoe very cute and was even able to do one line dance. I surprised myself because I love to dance, but I cannot get my legs to go in the way I want them to all the time and keep up the momentum. I tire easily now. There are places to get cute and low heel. I shop at Burlington and Rainbow stores. Don't know if those are in the UK, but maybe online. Hope that left knee is not acting up too much Ellejay. Have a good weekend. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@Ellejay

You've been very busy since you returned from holiday and being in pain from the Arthroscopy along with getting back to normal life is a lot to take in. Hope that your Dad is getting better.

Your Founder's Day outing sounded enjoyable and I agree about comfortable shoes, the knee now dictates fashion and not the Paris runway for us !

Take care,
Cathie
 
I know how you feel Ellejay but sometimes we just have to say No. You must think about yourself and your recovery. I'm sure your family will understand. Yep being the middle generation sucks sometimes dosent it. We just have to do the best we can. I have my middle son back living with me after his gf literally chucked him and all his stuff out. He has a five year old daughter he looks after every other weekend so we have Robyn to stay too. It's all disrupting but he's looking for a flat so hopefully he will get settled soon. Have a lovely weekend and try and relax if you can. Coming home from holiday is a little daunting.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi again @Ellejay, I saw in @Nana moon 27's thread that you are having a time of things. My goodness. I had mentioned before that I am fearful of having an arthroscopy done. Do you mean you may have to pay out of pocket for some of the surgery because you have maxed out of your benefits? No that can't be right. Hope things get worked out. I know it is tough when some doctors don't listen. We do know our bodies. I hope things get worked out for you. You should not be this sore for this long after a scope.
I am so sorry about your Dad. It is so tough when we as adults think our lives are complete and to ourselves and then we have to take care of our parents. I have the same thing going on, but I have loads of paid help which fortunately my mom's account can afford. She was a smart saver for her old age, unlike myself. So I have a great deal of hands on to help me as I am an only child. Well @Ellejay, I hope that you are feeling better and I wish you a wonderful decreased pain-free week. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Well, I went to visit Dad today, thank goodness I did, no carers had been in since Friday evening, so he had had no medication, no breakfasts or suppers, thank goodness Meals on Wheels deliver his lunch. My brother and my son both visited yesterday and neither of them noticed. I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be sexist but ...MEN!!!!!
Anyway it's now sorted, carers will visit this evening, luckily he seems fine, he wasn't dressed, but other than that he seems to have survived, although I did have a bit of a search for his teeth :heehee:.
So, not content with having to do just about everything for me, my poor husband is now having to drive me 40 mins each way to my Dad, and hang around, or even take orders from him too, as I get Dad organised, he really is in running for Husband of the Year.
I see the OS tomorrow, fingers crossed he will agree this time to a TKR.
@chestnc, I shouldn't have to pay anything, but as I have opted to be treated in a private hospital, and see the consultant at that hospital, even though the NHS is paying, they can be a bit funny about what I am entitled to. When he sees the pain I'm in he will have to be very hard hearted to refuse me a cortisone shot, but if he is correct, and I've had my allotted number of shots I really won't mind paying. They are about £90 ($146) each time apparently, but I have been treated so well each time I go for a consultation, or have a procedure or the RTKR itself, I don't feel I can complain, it will be money well spent. I'm not paying for any of my meds, they are free once we reach 60 over here. I had a private room for the TKR, it was like a hotel, so, as I say, I'm really not complaining.
 
@robynhood,
I'm sorry to hear of your son's troubles. As you say, it must be so disrupting, especially for a five year old. We would do anything to protect them from this sort of thing, and it must be very upsetting for you that you can't do that. At least you get to have Robyn every weekend, I met someone whilst I was on my last trip, she hadn't seen her two grand daughters for six years! Her sons marriage had broken up and her DiL had removed all access from his parents. Her son can still see them, but not the grand parents. It made me cry to even think of it, how can anyone be so cruel? This poor lady was being so brave, but was obviously very upset over the situation. She still sent cards and presents, but isn't allowed to see them, what a dreadful situation to be in.
I do hope your son manages to get somewhere for himself soon, so that life can have some normality again for you all. Thinking of you, xxx
 
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. :-( Glad you went by today and realized about the lack of care visits. It's so hard when our parents get older. My dad is in a home several states away after he'd burned bridges with 3 of his 4 daughters. He's always been a very entitled and negative man, so we did the best we could until it just got to be too much. I'm glad you're all close enough to keep an eye on things for your father.

Oh no about having to wait 18 weeks for your surgery :-( That's unfortunate. I will be anxious to hear how your appointment goes tomorrow and possible, if your OS refuses to give you a cortisone injection in your bad knee, you could possibly kick him with your good one (accidentally, of course)?

You're always in such good spirits, even with all the pain you're in. At the very least, once you do get on the books for surgery you'll at least have a target end point! xoxoxo
 
Ellejay thank you for your lovely post. Really hope all goes well with your appt tomorrow. You have so much going on at the moment but still have time for kind words for others ❤️ wishing your Dad well. Old age is so cruel sometimes. Sending you hugs ❤️❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Morning Ellen @Ellejay

It was very fortunate that you called into your father and were able to get him organised and systems back in place. And yes, Your husband is in the running for husband of the year !

Hoping that your appointment with your OS brings an outcome that will provide you with less pain and a plan for your knee.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Good luck @Ellejay with your appointment! Hope you get some relief for your knee. Also sorry to read about your Dad. Please take care and let us know how everything is! (((Hugs)))
 
Back
Top Bottom