Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

@Ellejay I've never had a knee 'scoped, but I have a number of friends who have had them done. None of them, that I recall, saw immediate results but within a few weeks in almost all cases were better off than they were before. Here's hoping the same holds true for you!
 
Thank you @Phil75070, it is kind of you to pop in and encourage me, I'm sure you are right, it is early days and I'm sure things will get better, I've just been particularly down today. All of us Bone Smarties have had such days and that's when we appreciate all the support friends on here give us. It is such a fantastic site, people like you are ready with a kind word when we need it the most. I do appreciate your kind thoughts, thank you so much. I hope you have a great weekend, Lyn
 
xoxoxox Just popping by to check oh you....and share what happened to me....HUGE HUGS
 
@Nana moon 27 @dogwheels @Ellejay @Celle. Thank you for kind comments. I moved to Tucson inApril, from NY. I haven't lived here long enough to make friends. No family here. I'm all alone here. I don't attend church. I had planned to get involved and make friends but I got sick. With hindsight, it probably wasn't the smartest choice to move here. But here I am. I think as we get over the summer, it will help. It has been so hot. Right now I'm still in hospital, waiting on my INR to get up to 2 so I can go to rehab where they will help me on my surgery knee and my right leg and arm for weakness.

I want to read today and see what others are up to. Can't feel bad about my situation all the time!
 
Hi @Gingiebot We are off to Wales, with my grandchildren in about and hour and a half. I'm very excited about it. Therefore I may not be in touch as much because the signal is rubbish where we are in the middle of nowhere. I will do my best. I'm back home on the evening of September 1st so I will catch up properly then. I will do my best to get in touch while I am away but I have to poach the wifi from the caravan site next door!

I know that @Ellejay, dogwheels and all the others will be checking on you. You will not be alone.

I hope that all goes well for you and your health continues to improve. I do feel for you and I wish you a speedy recovery.
all my love from Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
@Gingiebot

I have also sent you a post on billywizz666 thread, where you first told us what had been happening with you this morning.

I hope that you time in hospital will bring you comfort, as you will be looked after by the staff there. And that the transfer to Rehab will also be reassuring.

Do you have or did you have your own thread, as that might be a better place for me to post to you and catch up with you on how you are.

You are about 8 hours time -wise behind Dublin, as it is almost 9:00 pm Sunday night, as I am writing this to you.

Please take care and know that you are thought about by many and we are interested in your recovery.

Kindest & Warmth,
Cathie
 
Day 12 after left knee arthroscopy and I'm still limping very badly, walking is extremely painful and I'm taking painkillers by the clock. My right knee is 'manning up' to the job brilliantly, at times it's hard to think it ever had anything done, it's so good.
 
@Ellejay

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing pain & discomfort after your arthroscopy.
You are off to France very soon and it must be on your mind, as how active you will be on your holiday.
But, as someone previously said on your thread, it will be a:chillpill: and relaxing holiday, as the knee is in charge.

Take care and hope the healing continues day by day,

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Ellejay.....if you have not let your surgeon know that you are having this much pain, you need to. Yes, he may just tell you to rest, ice and take pain meds. But you want him to give you a new prescription for something so you won't have to use your stash and then maybe have nothing available for your trip!

Not all arthroscopic procedures are a walk in the park. When a surgeon gets in there and "cleans things out" it can irritate and inflame your knee. Sometimes things settle and are better for a while. Sometimes not. You want to keep a close watch on this knee and not just endure pain.
 
@Ellejay
Hi Lynn, think that @Jamie has good advice concerning g contacting your doctor for increased pain medication, as you will be soon in France on your holiday.

Cathie
 
Thank you @Jamie, you are right, but unfortunately my OS is away on his hols now, but I thought I'd see what the physio says tomorrow, he may agree with me, or he may say I'm being a wimp (although I'm not normally, and I do have a high pain threshold), and then I will discuss it with the nurse when she removes my stitches on Friday. The knee isn't swollen, the wounds are clean, so I think everything is probably as it should be, but as you say, he's probably irritated internal parts, which will take a while to settle. I'm actually coping with paracetamol (Tylenol) now during the day, so I can buy those, and I've got enough stronger ones for use at bedtimes. I will be spending three days travelling, sitting in the car (with plenty of breaks), so I will have lots of rest. I'm feeling much more positive about it all now, yes, it's painful, but it's easier to cope with now I'm a happier person again. Thank you for your support and concern.
 
Thanks @Jozilla , hopefully I'll be cycling & swimming and forgetting my knees. What lovely photos you posted earlier, I hope you are all having an amazing time and making the most of your mobility, which you will lose for a short while but then, no more knee pain! I'm envious, I can't wait to get rid of my left knee.
Thanks for popping in @marmora - how is your recovery going?
 
Very interested to see what your PT says - hope your holiday is all you hope for!

Something you might be interested in - I think this whole deal might have fostered a new career for me. I've been doing so much research into what yoga I should be doing now and what I should/maybe/will be able to do after and finding a real lack.

I hope to have the ability to get my yoga certification after my op (might be a year after, but still!) and start working with recovering patients, perhaps even do a book - with the hope that when I am fed up with the corporate world I would open a yoga studio focused on Restorative yoga for those with arthritis or recovering from replacement surgeries. Should be fun!
 
@Ellejay Hi Lynn, envy you heading off to France one of our favourite countries to spend time in. When my 3 sons were little, we often took the ferry from Ireland to France and spent our two weeks in a mobile home on a holiday location usually in Brittany ! Enjoy your time there & hopefully the knee will settle down. I had an arthroscopy in September 2012 ( and a previous one in the 1980's), the recovery was slow and with pain - not as much as from the TKR. But, did feel that I would have preferred to have had the TKR at that time, but the surgeon I was attending felt I was too young at age 60 ! So, struggled on for nearly two years until tearing my meniscus in June 2014, changed my surgeon -both he & the doctor I saw in A & E (ER) both asked me why I hadn't had the TKR in 2012, as I had bone on bone and stage four oestoarthritis in that knee. Fast forward and with new surgeon LTKR on 17 July 2014, exactly 6 weeks post-op today.
Recovery slow, Flexion at 95 degrees and extension at 8, painful and slow - but do see light at the end of the tunnel!

@TexasTee wonderful idea and something worth developing for your new career.
The local Pilates studio in our area Platinum Pilates ( look at their web site) have a restorative one-one programme as aftercare post TKR & THR & other joint surgeries. You might get some ideas/information from looking at their site. I have changed careers many times over my life and always felt you do need follow your heart. (when possible sometimes unable to,do to financial & family commitments).

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora, 95 / 8 seems pretty good for 6 weeks, yes it is a really slow recovery, but it is worth being patient, I am so thrilled with my new knee, its brilliant now.
@TexasTee, what a superb idea, I loved my yoga and Pilates classes but dont go at the moment, I get so fed up with saying that I can't do this exercise or that one. If there was a specialist class where all the exercises were knee friendly I'd love it.
I've just returned from my physio session. Sure enough, he said the OS did do a great deal of work, apparently behind my knee cap the arthritis is particularly bad, and both sides of the knee, so there is a lot of scarring and recovery going on. He gave me some ultrasound treatment to help to calm it all down, but I feel much better now I know why this is so different from the other two. He said hydro exercises will be good once I've had the stitches out, and to take my bike to France but not to expect to use it for the first week or so. I need to get the ROM before using the bike, not use the bike to get the ROM.
So I'm a much happier bunny now, sorry for the melt down last week, that is so unlike me.
Just off for a country pub lunch with another couple, to see friends during the day is such a novelty, retirement is still such a pleasure to me.
Have a good day everyone, Lyn xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay - I am sorry that so much work was necessary during your arthroscopy, but after you have recovered from the procedure it will hopefully buy you some more trouble free years before needing the second TKR. I know you wanted both knees 'done and dusted' but it would seem your OS thinks that the scope was the way to go - and, as I seem to have the habit of saying on here: 'it is what it is'. The ultrasound should help calm things down, and the reduced meds and positive comments from your PT must be setting your mind a little more at rest. France here you come!!
Hope you have a lovely lunch out today.
Hubby has just set off for the coast, he wants to do a bit of work on the boat before racing tonight, so has left me in charge of the painters, ha ha!

The house here is a hive of activity with rooms shut off and dust sheets everywhere. The painters are the same ones that did the exterior painting earlier this year. When they arrived they asked how my knee was doing which was really sweet and then warned me about the dustsheets on the floor and up the stairs, and asked if it was OK to leave them down. I told them it was fine. First time I went up stairs really carefully, walked the length of the landing and then promptly caught my foot (yes the TKR one) in a fold of fabric. Ouch! I am now being ultra careful and pussy-footing around the place like a granny.

Good news = Only one more day without a dishwasher. Bad news = have to be up really early tomorrow as my delivery slot is from 7am - urrgh!

Not much I can do with the Super Mario Bros all over the place. I am hoping they get all the prep work done and leave reasonably early this afternoon.

Great idea about the yoga @TexasTee!

Take care and talk later

XXX
 
@Ellejay
BoneSmart is exactly the place to give out, be sad, get frustrated and celebrate mini & major milestones !
We have to freedom to express the good & bad times to people who reall know what we are going and have gone through.

Family & friends are sympathetic, but no one understands what an Arthroscopy or TKR is all about, unless they have been there & got the tee shirt.

Enjoy cycling & swimming on your holiday in France !


@dogwheels
You are one busy lady with painters & decorators in. Please do be "extra" carful with those dust sheets.
Early to bed tonight for your early morning wake-up for the new dishwasher.

Take care,
Cathie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom