TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Jamie, thanks for popping in. I did add this date into my signature, it's on the bottom line - August 16th. Hope that's ok, Lyn x
 
Hi Lyn

This us only a suggestion but I changed mine to reverse order as I had a similar comment off another advisor a while back now. It makes it easier for people to see at a glance your recent history that's all xxx

Anyway, how are you today? How's the pain? I sure you must have felt better after the shower yesterday. Lovely feeling that xxxx

Love Ann xxxx
 
Hi Ann @Nana moon 27, I couldn't understand Jamie's comment, but your explanation makes sense, I've changed everything round, I hope that makes things easier. Thank you for your help with this.
I've felt a bit better today but I'm still taking it very easy, I'm not really walking far yet, it is much more painful than the last two arthroscopies. I'm getting worried, it's the first op on my left knee, I hope it's not a sign of things to come and that it means that a TKR on this knee would be much more painful as well. They do say that no two knees are the same.
How have you been today after the disappointing cancellation this morning? I hope you've been able to relax.
Lyn xx
 
Just running (ha) through to send warm hugs and say I'm sorry that you're in a bit of pain. I'm glad the surgery went well, and hopefully this pain will be short lived and buy you a few years before needing a TKR. ((Hugs))

Whoopsie, almost forgot - glad you got to go to lunch today. WITH clean hair! Woo hoo! ;-)
 
Hi @Ellejay (Lyn) yes I was very disappointed. However, this afternoon I contacted them and went through my medication list to see if there is anything I need to come off before the surgery. Thankfully no! It's rescheduled for 9am on 5th September. The hospital is quite a distance away but hey I'll have to get ready the night before and try to organise myself. I really struggle with that lately and yet when I was working I was like an automaton! Then the review on my left knee which I am dreading is on the afternoon but that hospital is five mins up the road from our home. The pain in my left knee comes through the morphine and gave way on me last week!x x x

I can understand yr concern about the arthroscopy and karringtyn is having a hard time with hers too! I would be no different to you regarding this if it was me, to be honest with you.

I hope you get a pain free or at least comfortable nights sleep

Love Ann xxxx
 
Thanks, Ellejay!!! I did miss your latest addition and it is better in reverse chronological order with the newest surgery first. I appreciate you doing that....you're "the bomb!" :thumb:
 
@Ellejay
Hi Lyn,
Hope that you have a good sleep tonight.
Sorry that you have were in pain for most of the day, and hopefully tomorrow will bring less pain for you.

Take care,
Cathie:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @marmora, it is very sweet of you to be comforting me, it should be the other way round, your TKR was much more recent than mine, but I do appreciate your kind thoughts. I loved your story about being the actress's stunt double, that really made me smile, it's certainly a line to remember. Unfortunately I think anyone would see that this couldn't possibly be true once they see my short, stout stature :rotfl:. I hope you have a good night, sleep well, xx Lyn
 
Well, it's a week since my left knee arthroscopy and so far I'm really disappointed. Walking is still very painful and difficult. I can't bend the knee as much as I could and generally I'm far worse off than I was this time last week, I'm probably at the stage I was at a month out of RTKR, which wasn't brilliant, but at least I knew it would get better and stronger. I'm really not sure about the benefit of this latest procedure,I just hope that things improve over the next few days. I am doing the exercises, I'm icing and elevating, I can't think of anything else I can do. I am seeing a PT this week, hopefully he will help. We return to France a week today and I was looking forward to walking, swimming and cycling again, but at this rate I will be the old lady wrapped in a blanket in a chair! I'm afraid I'm really feeling sorry for myself today, I'm just fed up with the pain and with how much it is affecting my everyday life and stopping me doing what I want to do.
 
Sorry to hear that Lynn,I will join you in France wrapped up in a blanket,knee and hip pain terrible, walking on sand has really set it off will rest now for a few days,hope you get some improvement soon. @maramara1212 hope the coffee has worn off now x
 
@Ellejay
Hi Elle,
Read some of the BoneSmart posts out of sequence and only reading your pits of today now.
Sorry to hear your disappointment from the Arthroscopy procedure and that bending and walking are more difficult this week than last week.
You seem to be following the BoneSmart way of icing, elevating and resting and doing your exercises, so it must be extra difficult feeling that you are going backward, instead of forward.

I know that you are off to France in a week, so the knee and it's lack of bend & continued pain must play heavily on your mind.

Hopefully. In the week to come you will move forward, so that you will be able to enjoy :swim: and :biking:
But, the knee will decide what you can do, it is the boss, "She who must be obeyed" !

Take care and my warm thoughts are for you this week to see some improvement.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Oh thank you so much Cathie @marmora, I was just wingeing a bit, I'm not usually down, but just today I am feeling sorry for myself, but I really appreciate your warm wishes. I hope that you are enjoying our weekend, xxx Lyn
 
Hi Lyn @Ellejay
Firstly apologies for not dropping by here - the BS fairies have now decided to keep me up to date with others that I previously received no alerts for, and in so doing have stopped the alerts for your thread. I'm sure it must be karma for a bad joke or a cheeky comment!

I am so very sorry about the pain and discomfort you are feeling, I feel quite bad as I honestly thought you would sail through this and be 'right as nine pence' in no time. My scopes have never been a big event, just a bit of a stiff blip for a couple of weeks. I can really understand why you are concerned that this knee is more damaged than your OS thought, because its taking longer than you thought to heal. Is your physio at the same hospital as you had your surgery? If so, there is every chance that there may be some notes on your file from the arthroscopy and you could ask at your upcoming PT appointment.

I know you are impatient because you are such an active person, not a sloth like me - and with your trip to France looming it puts a bit more pressure on. Perhaps if you make preparations and plan to be the 'lady of leisure in the chair' and let that be the pinnacle of your expectations, everything else you can manage will be a bonus and you'll find that in reality, you will end up doing a whole lot more and get back to normal while you are away. I do hope so.

I know your poor knee is stiff and painful - but I think the biggest thing when this sort of stuff occurs is the bitter disappointment, that's the really hard one to handle. Sorry you are having a b*tch of a day - or as BS polite speak would have it 'a poodle' of a day - but quite understand as these things just suddenly get to you.

You have about a week before you head off - that's as much again as the time you have been recovering - a whole 100% longer! Lots can happen in a week and 'Dogwheels' Never Ending supply of Optimism is willing you on with love and hugs and healing thoughts.

Take care Lyn

XXOOXX
 
I'm sorry @Ellejay . I do like @dogwheels 's advice though about the trip. It's the same mindset that I do internet dating with. 'expect the worst and be happy with anything over and above that'. ;-) I know how active you like to be, but honestly, I think lounging around in France sounds like a great time! So many cute cafes to sit, enjoy great breads and cheeses and wine and watch the world go by. Hopefully you will be feeling better next week. Although scopes are leaps and bounds easier than a TKR, I know that sometimes they do the opposite of what they should. Mine back in October, although 'easy-ish' to recover from, absolutely made my knee worse. Trouble is, they clean out all the little lumps and bumps (I think they call it debridement) that actually keep the bones from rubbing together. With those gone and no cartilage left, it's nothing but bone on bone. I say if you have pain meds left over from your TKR that work for you, but don't make you feel sick or drowsy, take them, enjoy your trip and try not to worry about the things that you have no control over. Easier said than done, I know..... ((hugs))
 
My dear friends, you are the best medicine there is, and you give out such sensible advice as well. I am really having a horrid day, which is so unusual for me. I'm such a positive person, I'm not exaggerating I only cried once during the whole of my TKR recuperation, which I think is pretty good, but the last few days have really got me down. I just thought this would be such a simple procedure, like my last two were, but this is just not the same. I know he is only worried for me but my husband keeps telling me I have to contact the hospital, but we all know that they will just say rest, ice, take painkillers etc. @dogwheels, yes, the PT is at the same hospital,strange that I got no after care from the PT dept after the TKR, but apparently after this procedure I have 'a few' appointments. I am hoping that they have access to my operation notes, in fact I thought I would phone them a couple of days before hand to prepare them. @DogLoverx3, I did smile, I'm obviously not the only secret hoarder, yes I've still got some TKR painkillers left, I've been trying to manage on just the paracetamol (Tylenol), but my supply of Tramadol that I've been saving for a rainy day might need to see the light of day soon.
I think you are right about not expecting too much of my trip to France, the trouble is I do have very high expectations of myself, I am used to be so active and I'm so fed up with being a 'wimp' not doing all the activities I want to do.
It is so kind of you to support me through this, I'm sure that in a few days I will be reading this and wondering why I was making so much fuss, I know it's still early days, but it is just so frustrating to have turned the clock back a few months. My original recovery went so well, I didn't expect to be in such pain from the other knee at this stage. Bless you all for being there for me. Lyn xxx
 
Hi Lyn,
@Ellejay

Wishing you a comfortable night and to let you know that one of the best parts of the BoneSmart forum is having a place to come to and rant, cry, share disappointments and well as the times we have success !

There is no judgement here - only friendship & support.

Cathie:flwrysmile:
 
I wish I had kept a diary of my scope recovery - like you, I recall that it was far worse after than it ever was before - I do think it must have felt better as some point or I'd never have lasted so long. At any rate - I'd be in the same boat as you, completely over feeling in pain and that you are a slave to your knee. I'm sorry this is happening and wishing for France to stay warm and be just the place you need to recover - it certainly did the thing last time! And, well, if is doesn't - stock up on great wine and cheese and just take it easy. Hugs!
 
Back
Top Bottom