TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Thank you @bottomshollow and @kneeper, I'm sure I'm being a big baby, it is only an arthroscopy, but it will be so good to be able to walk without a limp. I managed it for such a short time after my RTKR, and then this left knee started to complain, the right knee is so brilliant already, I am looking forward to two working knees.
 
Ellejay,
Just checking in to see how you are doing after your surgery today.
Wishing you all the best,
 
Oh @Nana moon 27, you are such a dear friend, you have so much pain yourself and yet you can think about me, I am so grateful, seven months on, that I found this site and met such lovely people. I had a small taster of your everyday life today, I was in horrid pain after the op and they gave me the maximum morphine dose they could. I've been a different person all day, I couldn't think straight, I couldn't make a decision, it felt horrid. Apparently they can't give Tramadol anymore, it's a controlled drug, so I've been sent home with codeine. I'll talk more tomorrow, but I just wanted to say a very big thank you for being there for me, and yes, your recount of family life early this morning did make me smile, it worked. But I also felt sorry for you,doing all of that so soon after your return. Chat tomorrow dear friend xxxLyn
 
@Ellejay

You are a dear friend and I do feel for you being given morphine. It's awful stuff. I honestly hate it but it works. Yes t hat feeling you get used to but it's not nice xxx

Anyway, get some rest now and I'll chat when you are ready xxxx

Love Ann xxxx :friends::flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lyn - glad you are done! Sorry though that you had such pain. That part sounds terrible. I have never had morphine. Even with having the tkr the joint replacement center in our hospital will not use it. We were given oxycontin twice a day and percocets every three hours if needed. I think this is why my OS was so good about us icing the Bonesmart way in the hospital. I hope you are in less pain tomorrow and let us know about your day.

Xoxoxo JoAnne
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
. Thinking of you and sending hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you so much for all your good wishes, @Karringtyn , @Pumpkln , @Jozilla , @Nana moon 27, @robynhood. This morning seems so much better than yesterday, my head is clear at least. My knee is painful, I'm treating myself to a day in bed for maximum rest, elevation, medication and hopefully ice, but the dressing and bandage is so thick I'm not sure I will feel the effect of the ice. I can't take that off until tomorrow afternoon.
I was a bit worried when the OS told me my knee is a mess, I won't see him until Sept 29th, I'm just worried that I've gone through this op unnecessarily, only for him to tell me I need a TKR after all. I will have to wait and see. The physio was very positive, I will have three sessions with her, hopefully one before I go to France. She thought I would be able to take my bike with me, but I might not be using it for the first couple of weeks. I hope my husband will think it's worth packing on that basis.
I hope you are all enjoying your weekend, looking out of the window I'm not missing anything weather wise.
 
Hello Lyn ... So glad that your op is over and very sad that you had so much pain. I truly hope that it can give you a long time of knee peace and that your doc does not tell you that you need a TKR straight away. Hopefully it won't put too much of a dent in your time in France.
I hope the pain you are in now does not last too long and that you can get on with life with a stronger knee for a long time before you need TKR.
I will be thinking of you ... Aussie Hugs ... Ellen
 
Glad you are feeling better today! It's been a while but it seems as if I recall the scoped knee was pretty much as functional as it got within a very short window - something like a week/10 days. I hope you are riding like the wind in France in no time!!:bicycle1:
 
Hi Ellejay - you sound much better today. Any surgery is tough when you have anesthesia. Glad all is well - make sure you rest and elevate. Do they limit your activities? (((Hugs)))
 
Good morning @TexasTee , @Nana moon 27 ,@robynhood , @NetballKnees, @dogwheels , @Karringtyn ,@Jozilla , thank you all for kind messages and support, all really appreciated, I assure you. I had to smile at a text message I received from my daughter yesterday, who will be totally mortified when she comes to her senses after a weekend clubbing with friends, and realises that she has forgotten my operation. She texted me that she had just been out riding, was feeling sorry for herself (self inflicted) and had I had a good weekend?!!!! I know we'll have a good laugh over that one day.
My poor knee was very painful during the night, each time I moved it felt as if something was tearing. I don't remember it being this painful the previous twice I've had this done. Walking is still an activity to be avoided, I was back teaching five days after my first arthroscopy, I can't see me even going shopping by then this time. Perhaps it will suddenly improve over the next couple of days.
Ellen, I will be thinking of you on Thursday, I'm sure you have everyone and everything organised, I hope everything goes to plan and you will be on here telling us all about it before long.
Isn't it strange how so many of us who met over our first procedure are now ready for the second? NetballKnees and Jozilla going for the second TKR, Nana moon, Karringtyn, robynhood and myself all starting off with investigations on the second knee and Texas Tee, probably ready now, but having to wait. DogWheels, is your other knee ok? I don't remember you complaining about it, that's great news if it is fine.
Have a good day everyone, I'm off to do some exercises xxx Lyn
 
Hi @Ellejay - I am so sorry that this recent op is giving you so much grief. Like you say, I have sailed through the 3 arthroscopies that I have had and apart from being stiff - they have caused me absolutely no problems at all. It must be a real shock that this one has affected you so badly. When do you see your OS for the verdict on what he found?

Your poor daughter, she will be absolutely gutted when she finds out that you have had this done and she hadn't realised.

Hmmmm .... my other knee, I am choosing not to think about that at the moment! My last arthroscopy was on that one and evidently there was a huge amount of damage to the meniscus but nothing was said about any degrading of the joint. I had repair work done but nothing was said about bone - thank goodness. Opinion was that it had taken all the strain for the dodgy knee for 28 years and had suffered because of it. As my TKR knee got worse, the other got more painful and my original intention was to go and have it looked at and sorted before I furthered the TKR, but my dodgy knee thought differently and literally gave up completely so the option wasn't there - the TKR needed doing and quickly.
I was really interested what you said about the Achilles tendonitis - as any aches and pains I have in that knee really seem to relate to when the tendonitis is at its worst. I am just thankful that my right knee bends easily, I have no awful grating and it doesn't give out on me. Realistically I think it may need doing in the future, but hopefully not for a good long while yet. I take comfort that, if and when it does need doing, it will merely be an arthritic knee to be replaced due to wear and tear - not one with various bits of joint missing that has had to adjust and adapt over a long period of time like the other one!

I have bought a brilliant ankle ice pack for the b****y tendonitis - good old eBay! It is little beads that freeze and it moulds really well. I tried so many ways to ice the ankle - none particularly effective - but this Velcro's on so I can even move about. Yay!

Well I really hope that this will be a 3 day turning point for you and your 'new bad knee' will start to respond and recover. At least you don't have to wear the compression stockings for long - my OS loves the evil things and makes his patients wear them for ages - 2 weeks for an arthroscopy!

Don't overdo the exercises - just keep it from stiffening up. I will be thinking of you and will pop by and chat later. I wanted to send you the attached before your op, but thought better of it!!

XXOOXX

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Oh @Ellejay I'm sorry you are in such pain. I too sailed through my Arthroscopy I had done obviously, so, yes, this must b one heck of a shock to you. When is your OS appointment? To be honest, if the pain doesn't subside soon then I would go see your GP and see what he/she thinks. The thing is you know that you are normally ok after an Arthroscopy. However, Karringtyn has had one done and she's suffering too. It makes you wonder if there is a further problem which is delaying your recovery x x x

Take care

Love Ann xxx
 
It's totally my own fault, but it don't see my OS until Sept 29th because we have already booked our trip to France. I was so sure all would be well as it was after the previous two I didn't think there would be a problem, and maybe there won't be. Perhaps I'm just being negative at the moment. I spoke to him very briefly after the op, he said it would be ok to travel. He said my knee was a mess, but as I was still under the influence of the GA he didn't say anymore, I will have to wait until the end of September to find out what happens next. It is very early days, the stitches don't come out until Aug 29th and hopefully I will see a PT before then and get their advice. Thank you all for your concern, as I say, it's very early days, hopefully all will be well soon, Lyn xx
 
Hi Lynn so sorry your still in pain, hope it starts to ease very soon and you can look forward to your holiday
Take care love Terr:console2:
 
Hi Lyn ... I told you I would visit. You are sounding a bit better, but sorry you are still in pain. I am in the very enviable position of never having anything else done on my knees. I played netball for 32 years, gave up at 52 because my knees were getting sorer and sorer. Spent 3 years with then in pain, went to the specialist who said there was only one option - replacement, and that arthroscopy would do nothing for me or the pain - but I was too young at 55. That seems so funny when I see some of the very young ages of people on Bonesmart who have had replacements. Went back at 58 and it was decided to do the worse one first and now 10 months later, the second one. So I really for you and everyone else who has so many other procedures before TKR.
I had a big smile about your daughter. I am sure she will feel much worse than you about it.
I have my fingers crossed that your holiday won't be jeopardised by the arthroscopy and everything else crossed that all of a sudden your arthroscopy turns around and becomes much easier for you.

Take Care Lyn ... Loving Hugs ... Ellen
 
I've only had the one scope but my knee was definitely worse after - but even then it was tolerable by 10 days - I bet you'll be ok for France. Hope so!
 
@Ellejay....would you be so kind as to add this latest surgery to your signature? It helps us to know exactly when it was.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom