TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay Hope the arthroscopy does the trick I had 3 in the past and they worked well for a long time,unfortunately can't have anymore as O.S feels it will make it worse and the bone may crumble not nice,so the only option for me is a left T.K.R,not looking forward to it but with luck will have 2 good knees.Walking the dog twice a day the new knee is great but like you,the old one locks and gives way,so a no brainer,will have it done in January Have a good afternoon looks like another storm brewing here x
 
Hi @TexasTee, I gave yoga up quite a while before the TKR, bending was so painful and kneeling was out of the question. That's when I took up Pilates, which has been fine, and I even got back to that before we left for France, but haven't been back since our return. I sometimes do the yoga poses that involve standing, or just upper body, but not as frequently as I mean to. Well done for continuing up to this point, it will really help with your recovery, I'm sure of it.
@yiayia3, I had two arthroscopies on my right knee before the TKR, neither of them were very successful, I was still in pain and each time, my bend was reduced, which I'm sure is why I can't get more than 120 now. At present my left foot can touch my backside when I'm standing, but it bet it won't after the arthroscopy. Still, it's all I'm being offered, so I will have to accept, I can't go on as I am for much longer.
Did you get the storm? I've read of dreadful weather, floods etc all around us, but we only had a short sharp shower late this afternoon, nothing at all last night/ this morning.
 
The lack of bend and more pain was all the 'scope gave me, as well - thank goodness the US does not require multiple scopes before TKR. Still, I'm quite hopeful that you'll make it to February and we can keep each other company then! We can challenge each other to come up with doable yoga and pilates exercise...and I'll be the willing disciple for water work!
 
I just thought I'd haul my own thread out of the depths before I lost it forever. I'm not sure that this should now be in the pre-op section - today the whole process starts all over on my LEFT knee. I'm going for the pre op assessment before the first arthroscopy next week. Looking back, the process from 1st arthroscopy to TKR for my right knee took 2 years and 3 months, we'll see how long this journey is.
 
Good luck @Ellejay hope all goes well today, same here starting again with left knee my G.P says I should see my O.S sooner than December saw her for more pain meds but she feels my knee is really bad sent me for an X-ray and told me to go and see O.S great fun speak soon
 
Thinking of you @Ellejay ! Also want to wish you well with your scope next week should I not be able to get into your thread again thanks to the slow loading pages and my lack of patience! :-)
 
Many thanks for all the messages @yiayia3, @Jozilla, @TexasTee & @DogLoverx3 Everything seemed ok, the trouble is the nurse couldn't answer many of my questions, and told me to ask the OS...on the morning of the surgery! I was told I can't have a spinal, it has to be a general anaesthetic, which is a bit of a shame. The procedure will be on the 16th and we have booked a return trip to France on the 30th. The nurse couldn't tell me whether I would have dissolving stitches or not, when I would need a check up and I won't know the answers to these until just before the op, I hope I will still be able to travel on the 30th.
Thanks @DogLoverx3, I know what you mean, I just can't wait for these threads to load, I just get cross and log out. How are you? Did the injections make any difference?
Oh @yiayia3, poor you, here we go again. I hope you don't have to wait too long before you get treated.
 
You can stay here, or start a new thread in pre op and after your TKR come back to this thread. I just stayed in my post op thread, Kneeper started a thread in pre op. What ever you prefer.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Ellejay , OY! It took over a minute to load your thread. That may be my limit for patience today. ;-) Lovely that the nurse told you to ask your OS all your questions the morning of the surgery. Uhm, brilliant plan. I'm sure you'll be good to go by the 30th. I had a scope last October as a last ditch effort and although it actually made everything worse, pretty sure I was only on crutches for a few days, then limping around for another week or so. I had to wear a compression brace and ice a lot for swelling, but seems, after going thru this TKR nonsense, that the scope was a walk in the park!

The 'test' injection (really? all that for a test?) seemed to work for a few hours so they want to try the series of 5. I can neither afford or want to do all 5, but want to try it one more time, not as a 'test' and see if it helps. I'm starting to run out of money with all of my 'fix it' attempts. If this next one doesn't work, then I think I'm out of options. I'll have to keep taking the Gabapentin (which I wanted to get off of) and Celebrex. :-( My knee seems to be going in the wrong direction at the moment regarding recovery, but hopefully things will turn around.

Sorry for the ramble.... hope you're feeling good today and I'll certainly have you in my thoughts next week! xoxoxo
 
@Ellejay,

Lovely that the nurse told you to ask your OS all your questions the morning of the surgery.
This is what happened to me, I was so nervous the morning of the surgery I could hardly think. As a result I have a mal aligned implant due to mis communication.
Be sure to go in with a list of questions, and a list of every surgery and injury to the leg they are operating on.
I will never again have a surgery without a pre op office visit when I am dressed, and not naked, scared, and wearing a paper gown, facing a major surgery. (exception would be an emergency)
When is your surgery date?
 
Hi @Pumpkln, yes, the morning of the op is not a good time for questions, but I can at least take my prepared list of questions that weren't answered on Friday! It is only the first arthroscopy on my left knee, to be done next Sat - 16th Aug. the OS has already said that I will need a TKR, but won't do it yet, even though I begged. I see little point in going through one, maybe two scopes, why can't I just go straight to the replacement? Oh well, here I go. Lyn
 
Hi Lyn - early good wishes for a great outcome from your op on Saturday. I'll be thinking of you.

Posting will be limited for me over the weekend as I am going up to the Harley Street audiologist very, very early in the morning (I wonder why I am bothering to go to bed it's that early a start!) with my daughter, to help choose the hearing aid tomorrow. Once we are done I am catching a train down to the coast to join my husband who drove down today.
I refuse to lug my laptop on BR so will be limited to just my phone for the weekend to check in, and it may be a bit hit and miss, so wanted to make sure you got this.

Anyway, just to let you know you will be in my thoughts and I'll look forward to catching up, once you are 'fixed'!

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
XXXXXXX
 
@dogwheels, that is so sweet of you, you don't need to be bothering with me when your daughter has so much going on in her health 'life story' at the moment, but I really do appreciate it. I hope that the appointment goes well and that you have an enjoyable weekend at the coast.
I was planning on starting my preparations this evening, maybe freeze a cake or two, get my bag ready etc. Tomorrow is set aside to clean the house from top to bottom and to get the washing and ironing up to date. But, the best laid plans, it's half past eleven and we've only just got home from my babysitting assignment. My dear husband decided to accompany me in case the traffic was bad, our car is a manual, and as my left knee is deteriorating by the day now, using the clutch would be painful in heavy traffic. Getting to Kent this morning was no problem, then this evening My DiL invited us stay for dinner, which seemed a better idea than battling around the M25 in rush hour, and it would give us a chance to see our son when he returned from work. He has been working in Los Angeles for the last week, so we wanted to catch up with him. On our return journey we realised that there was a problem on the M25, so opted to follow the Sat Nav through Central London. It took 2 hours for a journey that would normally be 1 hour, it brought us round Hyde Park Corner, Belgravia, Lords Cricket Ground, all very exciting during the day, but very frustrating when we were trying to get home late at a night. Thank goodness I did have my personal chauffeur with me. Oh well, I will do what I can tomorrow, I'm sure Waitrose will have delicious cakes if I need one.
 
In case I don't get a chance to stop by tomorrow I wish you all the best on Saturday. You would never see anything but emergency surgery being done on the weekends around here. Hope your recovery is quick and pain free. (((Hugs)))
 
Thank you @Jozilla, hopefully I'll be skipping around (!) before too long and chatting To you, supporting you through your next TKR. xx
 
Best wishes for tomorrow!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
@Ellejay, for a super successful surgery tomorrow and the beginning of a great recovery! Looking forward to your first post in your recovery thread.
 
Back
Top Bottom