TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay I don't blame you for going for the injection instead. The arthroscopy is a good last resort when all else fails. In my case it lasted 18 months but oh gosh when that knee finally went ooh I so knew about it): for a few days it felt like something was broken inside. Then that eased off but oh the pain I was in after was nobody's business x x x how long did your last arthroscopy last?

You definitely have not ignored your knee. Heel slides, squats, lunges and walking are more than enough so it's not been ignored. It can feel like you are. I often feel like that until I read back what I've done. I suspect you'll look at what you've posted and the realise that you have not nor will ever ignore your knee.

I hope that the injection works. If I'm offered that chance too the that should be great. They said they'll review it six months time xox take care love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anne, I had the first arthroscopy in October 2011, and then another in December 2012. It doesn't sound as if I was as bad as you, but luckily my OS felt that enough was enough and as the pain was affecting my quality of life I should go for the TKR before things got much worse. I think he was absolutely right, I think that my (so far) text book recovery has been due to the fact that my knee was in pretty good condition before the op. That is why I think I will have the other one done next winter, before it deteriorates too much. I want to be able to go into the op fit and with good muscle tone again, like this time. Hopefully he will let me got straight into the TKR, I see little point in having arthroscopies when the end result will be a TKR. Why have two or three operations? I just hope he sees it my way.
 
Sounds like you have a good plan Ellejay! I agree completely about your thought process on just having the TKR. Sounds like your public health is somewhat like our private insurance in that for some reason, they like to go thru all the ridiculous 'steps' before getting to the end point. I went through and arthroscopy and 2 series of injections before my TKR. Each 'procedure' only served to make my knee worse.

Hopefully your next TKR will go as smoothly as this one has!!! xoxoxoxo
 
Good luck on the injection - I would do the same - only my slight experience but the only thing arthrosocpy did for me was stop some of the swelling, the pain was actually worse after...don't even mention synvisc, I couldn't walk for a week after each shot the last round I tried.

If you are doing number 2 next winter then we can be new knee buddies! I'm planning for Feb 15.
 
Hi @Ellejay how are you today? I don't know how I missed you out this morning, I'm really sorry.

My OS appointment has come at last for May 6th with the actual surgeon who did my op. I never met him as he was a stand in. I thought it was bad manners on his part not to introduce himself x

Fingers crossed I get some answers and if not, then second opinion here I come x x x
 
@Nana moon 27, I'm glad you've got your appointment through at last, hopefully you will get some answers at last. It doesn't seem right that you haven't even spoken to this man before, very bad manners indeed not to have introduced himself. I was very lucky, my OS came to visit the day following the operation, even though it was a Sunday, and I saw him when the clips came off and again for my 6 week check. I'm not sure when I see him again for my right knee, my appointments for left and right seem to have been merged together, and now I've cancelled the arthroscopy I'm left without an appointment.
@TexasTee, it will be wonderful if we are recovering together next year, I just know we will support each other brilliantly with ideas for yoga exercises, we can chat with our legs up the wall :heehee:. By the way, thank you for the butterfly chicken recipe,sounds really good, I will try it.
@DogLoverx3, it seems such a waste of time and money, not to mention the risk of anaesthetic to make us go through the minor ops before they let us have the 'real thing'. My knee was worse, not better after both of my arthroscopies. I hope your voluntary catering position has been sorted and you are not standing too much, you don't want to undo all the good that trip to Mexico did.
 
Ha! Yes, we can skype and see who's got the better pedicure for the fashionable legs up the wall!!

I hope you like the chicken - it's a big hit here, when the chicken is done and resting I like to remove it and turn up the heat in the oven so the veggies get a little more roasted.
 
Hi Ellejay your doing the right thing I had 3 athroscopies 2 on the left knee and was told no more as it can make the bone crumble.I will be joining you next year for new left knee so that makes three of us.Hope your enjoying your grandson, we 're home now lots to do before our Greek trip, have a great Sunday
 
Hi @Ellejay just popping in to say Hi.. We had a lovely day at Anglesey yesterday getting the van ready for our Easter break.. I'm looking forward to it so much and hope to get a lot of walking done while we are there. I'm doing the Race for Life in July with my three daughters. Well walk for Life if my case. I am doing it for my childhood friend Anne who is in the last stages of cancer and being so brave about it.. I just hope the Bakers Cyst behaves and I will be ok. I will use my walking stick to help me if I have to.. Hope you sort out another appointment and get your injection. I think next year will be my time to get the right knee done and we will be recovery buddies. Although my TKR knee is still a little stiff at times it it such an improvement on how it was. That bone on pain is something no one will understand unless they have been through it.. Please let me know how you get on.. Although I don't write on here as much as I used to I still drop by to see how everyone is doing. Take Care.
 
Oh @Ellejay - I am so sorry, did you think I had vanished off the face of the earth, or gone down the plug hole in the hydro pool? For some reason I have received no alerts for your thread, so thought you were busy on holiday and not posting ... I was wrong! I am so behind - are you back home now and getting ready for your French jaunt or still in Wales until after Easter?
All this talk of arthroscopies - as one who has been told by all and sundry now ...... those that have their TKR when they have arthritis and feel pain but have not experienced trauma or long term loss of function are more likely to have a textbook and straightforward recovery. Those like yours truly, who have had huge degrees of dodginess for ages are less likely to make it through so quickly and easily. If ever I need my right knee fixed I will see for myself just how true that is.
Well another day of bendy-bendy - I had quite a successful day with my cycle wheels yesterday, but tried them first thing this morning and I am a bit stiff. Never mind ......... just for a change I am going to hydro this afternoon. Hey you didn't expect that, did you? It's not as if I practically live there! Still it was booked solid last week so I haven't been for a little while and am looking forward to the warm water. At least I will not have the arm band on the foot problem - my little dolly sized rubber ring will be put on there for me.
Well enjoy your day everyone, my Ocado delivery has just arrived so I have to go and sort out the man. Hopefully I will not have 8 bunches of daffs - however, it would be quite pretty.
Laters
X
 
Hi everyone - @Nana moon 27, @dogwheels, @Karringtyn, @robynhood, @TexasTee, @yiayia3 and everyone else, thank you so much for all your lovely messages, I've just logged in and I can't tell you what they mean to me. Unfortunately I am feeling very down at the moment,( and totally exhausted). As you may remember I've got my 2 year old grandson staying, today is day 3 and everything is going so well with him, not one tear so far. We've had lots of outings, we've played in the garden, we've drawn and cut and stuck, and he's picked just about every dandelion in the garden. My TKR knee is wonderful, not a twinge, it's a big painful at night, but I can cope with that, .......but.... my left knee is agony, I think it's worse than my right one was before the operation and it is so difficult coping with a toddler all day and being in such pain. I'm seeing my physio next week, but I think I will need the diclofenac soon, I hate taking it but it worked on my right knee, hopefully lily it will my left. It is so disappointing to get to the stage where I hardly think about my operated knee only to be unable to walk far because of the other one. My husband is even talking of not going to France as I can't walk and can't cycle so what would we do?
Sorry I'm being miserable, I'm not usually like this but I am fed up today. Grandson is just having his nap and so I thought I'd sit and be grumpy while I can, then it can be jolly grandma when he wakes up.
 
Well I think you are doing brilliantly but sorry you are in pain with your in op knee. Sounds a lot like me. I get tired when I have Robyn for the day never mind more. I really hope you don't cancel France. It really would do you good for relaxing in the sun and walking when you feel better. Maybe not the cycling but just getting away does us all good. Really hope you feel better soon and you are doing a brilliant job of being Super Gran have no doubts on that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
*non op knee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh definitely be grumpy while you can - that's just adding insult to injury for your left knee to go so quickly! Hope you are taking a moment with the legs up the wall - any chance you can teach him that trick and maybe watch a DVD and give yourself a bit of a break?
 
Hi @Ellejay - so sorry that your other knee is playing up ....... it's that law that rhymes with ' rod ' isn't it?
I am sure the warm weather in France will do your knee good, as well as being on one level 24/7 in the caravan, but the cycling and walks may be a bit hit and miss. For as long as I can remember our holidays have been 1day exploring; 1 day resting/sunbathing/beach; 1 day slow walking with stops (shops!) and so on .... Would doing that be better than not going at all?
I am having the ditsiest day today - senior moments aplenty - I have so far got my hydro appointment wrong; forgotten to cancel something; and have somehow managed to reduce all the words on my computer screen to teeny tiny font that I have to squint at to read. Thank goodness my daughter is coming this evening and can sort it out for me ........ I am seriously challenged with the computer and not safe to be left on my own with one!
I hope that your knee holds up for another evening of fun with your lovely little one and isn't too awfully painful.
Must go as the hydro pool beckons
ChrisX
 
I'm so sorry your 'good' knee is so painful. If you're not comfortable taking Diclofenac, how about asking about Celebrex? I've heard it's good. I've been on 500mg Naproxen twice a day for almost 2 years - switched to Diclofenac just prior to surgery and am now thinking about trying Celebrex. I've had no stomach issues whatsoever and my bloodwork always comes out fine. If it helps, take it. Anyway, I just wanted to pop by and check in as I've been very lax in doing so lately. I'm glad you're enjoying time with your grandson, but do wish both your knees would behave. xoxoxo
 
Hi @Ellejay You are entitled to have a bad day, don't feel bad. The weaker leg uses so much energy that some TLC is often required for that. We always seem to forget about the arthritis in the other leg and think that it is capable of doing the work for both knees, it's just a way of reminding you that some rest is needed. I agree with @dogwheels the warmer weather will do it the world of good.

I've been taking Naproxen (500mg) twice daily and this does help with the pain. It doesn't help though when your knee starts to give way like mine........... My Grandson is now 4 months old and as much as I can't wait for him to stay with Grandma for the day, I do worry how I will cope but the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to it!

I hope your bad day passes and you are back to normal tomorrow, just remember you ARE doing brilliantly and you are still early days! I will check in tomorrow to see how you are. Take care.

@dogwheels I just wanted to ask you how you are finding hydro?
 
@Sharmichem, @DogLoverx3, @robynhood, @TexasTee, @dogwheels, thank you so much for all your messages and advice, I really appreciate your support, I'm sorry I was a bit miserable earlier, I was very tired and in pain. I've been resting, icing and elevating all evening, since I put little one to bed and I feel a bit better now. I'm just off to bed now so excuse me for not replying at length, hopefully I will manage to respond tomorrow evening once my grandson has gone home, we're going to an animal park tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to walking round, but I really want to take him, I refuse to let theses knees ruin my life.
 
Ha ha @Sharmichem - I think most on here would agree I am the undisputed Queen of Hydro :heehee: I have been so often! @DogLoverx3 reckons I'm turning into a mermaid.
The hospital where I had my TKR and my OS are really heavily into hydro. The physio clinic which is part of the hospital specialises in joint injury and sports injury, so they have a lot of facilities.
I was in the pool the 2nd day post-op, and had daily hydro for the next 3 days before going home. To be able to walk in the pool unaided so easily just after surgery is a real confidence boost. I continued having 1xphysio and 1xhydro for a couple of weeks until I got over 90degrees bend and then settled for just ordinary physio sessions. Just after a glowing 6 week check up with my OS, no one knows quite what caused it but out of the blue my knee seized up and wouldn't bend. So ....... back to hydro twice a week plus ordinary physio. My poor stiff knee has responded much better in the water, I knew it would!

My own view is that hydro really comes into its own in the early stages of recovery, as you are able to achieve so much more with the buoyancy of the water in the pool, than you can do on land. For example, because the physios are treating me with kid gloves at the moment, I am only allowed to practice bending exercises at home - I am not allowed to do anything apart from normal walking that loads weight through the joint. But today in the pool I was able to catch up with balancing and strengthening, as the water took most of the weight from the joint.The warmth of the water helps and evidently the water also acts as a compression so its very good for swelling.

The exercises are quite simple to replicate on your own, so I am sure that once I am well back on track and no longer needing physio, I will head to a pool and to keep my hand in, or should I say keep my knee in, with some of the exercises.

I listed descriptions of the exercises for some of my friends on BS - if you would like a copy, let me know and I'll PM them to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom