TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay please forgive me for saying this as a friend but I have to. I honestly think you are overdoing it. I'm so sorry to say this. I looked at everything that you are doing and you are honestly doing too much. I think that because you are feeling so much better you are trying to get back to normal. I totally understand that one. It is the very one that I get into trouble off my doctor over. Perhaps try cutting back to exercise every other day maybe? I cannot and would not dream of telling you what to do but seriously have a look at what you are suddenly putting your knee through. You have done so well Ellejay I honestly don't want you to end up in my shoes. I want you to carry on with your wonderful progress. I'm just scared you're going to undo it with all that you are doing. No offence meant honestly Ellejay. I just care x x xx
 
No offence taken at all @Nana moon 27, I actually think you are right, but I have this self destruct button that has been activated and it is really difficult for me to override it. My husband is saying exactly what you are saying, I have gone from literally doing nothing to doing too much, but I am so loving getting my life back I can't go backwards. I sooo want to get fit so I can ride my bike, I am too stubborn for my own good. I know it, I tell everybody else not to do it, and then go and do it myself- stupid or what?
We are going away next week, to a cottage in Cornwall, so no gym, no Pilates,no PT or hydro, just a change of scene and a chance to rest, I promise I will. Thank you for you concern, I really appreciate it, especially knowing you have your own problems. Lyn xx
 
Lyn I totally appreciate about the self destruct button thing believe me I truly do. The thing is you are doing so well. Listen to your husband. You don't need to do all this so quickly. Take your time. You have plenty ahead of you and you can pick and choose what you do. How would you feel if you mess up this week and wreck your planned holiday next week? You'd never forgive yourself. Please think about that. Is it really worth the risk?

I want nothing more than than to exercise because I'm getting flabby and it's not nice. I do understand but please think about that lovely break you've got planned please? That is going to be your husbands concern right now. It would be so nice after all you've gone through with this surgery to have a decent break where you could go for long walks, enjoy the scenery.p and the time with your family. You can't do any of this if you mess up this week.

Sleep well but please consider what I've said to you x x. Love Ann x x
 
Good morning @Nana moon 27,
I hope you managed to sleep well last night, I obviously didn't move much in my sleep as I didn't wake up too many times, but this morning my knee is very stiff because it hasn't moved - I can't win!
I promise I'll be careful, I just have my motorcize session this morning and I'll let the exercise machines do the work today, I won't resist them. This afternoon I'm visiting my Dad, I've found some old family pictures I want to look at with him, hopefully he can identify some of the people in them.
Tomorrow I just have a 'low impact aqua aerobics' class- for the over 50s, so it should be reasonably gentle, and if it's not I'll do my own thing at the back :egypdance:!
It will be a long drive down to Cornwall on Saturday, but we'll take plenty of knee stops, and at Lear I will be resting.
I had a hygienist appointment yesterday at the dentist, I was still a tiny bit worried about it as up until recently antibiotics were recommended before treatment, but she said they are definitely not needed these days and everything seems fine thus morning.
Hope all goes well with Freddie, let's hope he is the turning point in your recovery.
Chat later, Lyn xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay it as gone 4am this morning before I slept. Ridiculous. I'm ok my knee aches as usual but it doesn't seem as bad as normal. Shhhhhh! I'm touching wood here!! Aquacise sounds really good. It is one of the things on my to do list when I'm able to drive myself. Again please be careful today. It is only because I care about what happens to you.

The family pictures sound very interesting I love stuff like that. It sounds like you're going to have some interesting stuff to post later...lovely!

I hope all goes well with Freddy too. All the joking aside I really hope that he can help me. I just hope I'm not getting my hopes up too much. At the end of the day he is a human being, not a miracle worker. However, I have has no trouble with my neck, shoulders or back since being treated by him, so maybe just maybe he can do this.

I'll post later and let you know how I get on x x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
@Ellejay Hi just catching up,put about the trip on N.M thread and the football team! Lyn your make me feel tired just reading about your gym sessions etc.I feel worn out from yesterday and that was just walking round shops.
I think we all just want to get back to normal but its more about pacing yourself, my O.S said it will take a year for every thing to be back to normal.Your week in Cornwall sounds great it will do you good.We will be starting our trip to Greece in about 6 weeks I feel quite happy about it as like you, we have our home with us, can rest when I want and enjoy the sunshine.I have to take antibiotics for dental work but I think my O.S is a bit of a bib and braces man,but will do as I'm told.Enjoy your time with your Dad its nice to go through old photos,both my parents are gone now and I miss talking to them about family.Speak later Terri x
 
I know some people are concerned about the gym visits I'm making, I just wanted you to see the equipment I'm using, it is motorised, you can work as hard or as little as you like and it's ideal for people with joint problems. This is just one site, there are franchises all over the country, if there is one near you I do recommend it
broken link removed: https://www.motorcise-crewe.co.uk/motorcise-equipment.html

@yiayia3, Greece is not far off now, it will be great. We haven't booked a date to cross to France yet, I'm waiting to see how my left knee copes with Cornwall, if it's ok I will cancel the arthroscopy and book the train. We spent the time at my Dads doing odd jobs, so the photos will have to,wait for another day.
Sleep well, chat soon, x Lyn
 
Hi @suzzee2000, thank you for popping in, I just love this site, I would never have got through the last couple of months without all the friends on here. Thank you for your kind words about my posts, I will visits your thread later to read yours. I agree with NM27, your mum looks amazing. I liked your post about the granny pants, I can't believe I'm now in the granny pants, and the flat shoes, I have to admit they are comfortable, but I never feel smart these days. I refuse to have my hair cut, I keep reading magazine articles that say women in their 60s shouldn't have long hair - it's the only bit of my youth left.
@Karringtyn, hi, how are you? Marmalade is like jam/jelly, but it is made from oranges, fairly bitter ones, finely shredded and boiled with sugar until it sets - well it's supposed to set, I think we'll be licking mine off our elbows it is so liquid!
@dogwheels, dinner parties will never be the same again, I can't wait to have a practice at making a bra out of a dinner napkin, I can think of a few friends who will have great fun with that one.

I attended what was called a'low impact aqua aerobics' class today. The main reason I wanted to go was that it was held in the learner pool in my local public pool, and the water would be very warm. It was my first time, so I introduced myself to the instructor before we started and explained my knee problem. It turned out he was a stand in as the regular instructor was off, and I don't think he understood the concept of 'low impact' - after a few minutes of jarring my knee on the bottom of the pool I headed to the back of the class and just did my own thing. Every now and then the instructor would look at me with a puzzled look but I just gave him the 'thumbs up' and carried on. I just did the exercises that the PT had done with me at the hydro session last week. I'm not sure whether I will do that class again.
I'm off for a week in Cornwall, so I don't know how regularly I will be able to post - don't worry if I disappear for a while, I won't have overdone things and collapsed, I will be eating pasties and drinking cider and ......resting my knee.
Take care all my Bonesmartie friends and a big thank you, I'd never have got to this point without you all.
 
Hi @Ellejay - hope you have a super time in Cornwall. I am ashamed to say that although I have been to many weird and wonderful places all round the world, I have never been to Cornwall. We were thinking of going in the Autumn - but now we cant decide between there, or Ireland. (Haven't been there either).
Take care - lots of breaks on the journey down, and a nice easy time for the pair of you.
Have fun
ChrisX
 
@dogwheels, Cornwall is beautiful, but Ireland (I've only been to Southern Ireland) is even better - do go to both.
Thank you for all your good wishes, have a great weekend everyone, hope those knees behave themselves.
 
Hi @suzzee2000, thank you for popping in, I just love this site, I would never have got through the last couple of months without all the friends on here.
You are welcome and I love this site too!!!! We are all in this together!!!!!:friends:
:)
 
OK so marmalade isn't something I will try anytime too soon hahahha
 
Hit send too soon....Hope you are having a great time!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!! xoxoxo
 
Hi everyone, this thread took a lot of finding, one week away and it's just history :).
The week in Cornwall was fantastic, my knee managed some beautiful beach walks, days out, it survived the long car journey, everything is definitely getting back to normal. So it should really, I'm very nearly 12 weeks (will be on Saturday), and although everything is fine, I'm really glad that I don't have to return to work. I'm relieved that I retired last year, I don't see how I could possibly manage a class of six year olds with my knee stiffening up and still causing me a fair amount of pain. I was sort of hoping that the 3 month mark would magically bring about an overnight improvement, but now I realise that I need to be more patient. The problem is that the left knee is really giving up on me, and is actually more painful than the operated knee. Just as I had managed to walk without a limp I've started again , but on the other side!
First full day home and I resumed my normal routine today, Pilates this morning, holiday washing and ironing, a trip to the shops and to the library....I was standing preparing dinner when I realised that my knee was stiffening up, I hadn't even thought to sit and rest today :headbang: - And I had a hydro session to go to :gaah:. I survived it, but I am really tired, I must remember to build in a rest time for a few days (weeks?) more. The PT reckoned my Rom was probably a good 100, but then said that she rarely sees anyone with a bend better than that. Admittedly she is in private practice and perhaps doesn't see many TKRs , but that was a bit depressing to hear. I shall carry on with the exercises, the bend is good enough for the static bike, but still not my proper bike, which is my main aim in life at the moment.
@Nana moon 27, I'm glad you arrived safely, take care of yourself and have a lovely rest. Isn't it annoying not to be able to sign in to this site whenever you want to? I really missed everyone while I was away last week.
@DogLoverx3 I'm glad your big catering event went well, you must have been in agony by the end of it. A trip to Mexico sounds amazing, and a pool bar? Heaven! You can exercise and have a drink at the same time??? I'm so pleased that you can have a chance to relax. Have you had your results back yet? Good news I hope.
@dogwheels, I loved the picture of Gilbert, he is so gorgeous, and thoroughly spoiled by the sounds of it - but well deserved, he has recently lost his friend and has trouble with his leg, he needs to be spoilt.
I hope everyone else is well, excuse me for not mentioning everyone, I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open, chat more tomorrow. Night night xxx Ellejay
 
Glad you're home safe and well. I love Cornwall. Port Issac is my favourite place anywhere. I must admit my bend is just about 100. Some people get a lot more but they are in the minority I think. Hope you rest well tomorrow Take care. Good Nite


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Lyn ... I'm back. How lovely it is to read your posts and see that your rhythm of life is slowly returning. Well, returning in a rush as far as the gym goes. I have put a halt to all my gym work and the challenge. Mainly for financial reasons, but also because the pain levels in the non-operated leg and the achilles are getting way too intense for me to handle on simple Panadol products. I am so glad you had a lovely week in Cornwall. After two tiny bits of success with the static bike at the gym, I haven't been able to repeat them so still can't ride a bike.

However, the new house is going well. I thought the dogs had adapted, but yesterday they tunnelled themselves out, so now am at work worrying they are running rampant around the neighbourhood.

We did have a contract on the old house within 6 days of it going on the market, then 2 weeks later the buyers pulled out of the contract. I was so upset about it. But we got another contract the very next day after and that one is sailing along without a hassle.

This was just a quick drop in during the lunch hour. As I said, so happy to see the rhythm returning to your life. Take Care ... try to pull yourself back a tad on the gym exercising.

Ellen
 
Hi Ellejay nice to hear from you, and pleased you enjoyed Cornwall.Like you I'm nearly at the magic 12 weeks can do a lot more but still get aches and pains when I do too much,left knee is more painful than right but I can except that.Having dental treatment on Saturday 2nd part of root canal not nice and now on antibiotics as requested by O.S,not a big deal but not looking forward to it.We are going to West Sussex next week my son has rented a house on the beach and we are joining them for a few days,also getting the motorhome ready for Greece not long now, when do you go to France?hope you get plenty of rest before you go away again take care Terri
 
Back
Top Bottom