TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Well, the knee won, I could hardly walk this morning so we couldn't go to the animal park. I just don't know what has happened to make it hurt so much in such a short space of time, it was niggly at the beginning of the week, but nowhere near this bad, and haven't twisted it or fallen or anything. The pain started on the inside and went down the leg a short way but now has moved upwards and a little more to the front of the knee and above the knee cap. There isn't any swelling. I've started the diclofenac again - I can't take Naproxen, I know it is better but I got loads of mouth ulcers whenever I have been on it in the past. I haven't heard of Celebrax, I must look it up, thank you for the tip @DogLoverx3. The toddler is asleep at the moment so I'm resting with my legs up the wall, hopefully that will help.
Thank you again for all your messages,have a wonderful Easter everyone, whether you are at home or away
Xxx
 
Had to come to where I don't feel like such a whiner. I'm confident none of my all intact friends want to hear this stuff. I went to yoga today, I hadn't been in almost 2 weeks since the hip has been pretty bad but today if felt reasonable so I went to the 90 minute class. And was nearly in tears during most of it...a normal human would have stopped but of course I did the whole blessed thing and now am at home, just cancelled my afternoon of shopping with a girlfriend so that I can elevate and ice it and miss out on a beautiful spring day. Boo! Not sure how I'm going to ride this out until next year. I've never tried celebrax either - I can tolerate Naproxen fine but it doesn't do anything for me, pain wise.

Oh and since I'm having a pity party in your j I'll add one more thing. I'm young, I'm relatively cute, I dress pretty nicely for work BUT I can't wear orthopedic shoes with pencil skirts! I spent hours shopping this AM with no low, reasonable shoes...because they don't exist! I did find out the Sperry top-siders make sandals and bought a pair, if they do well, will go online and order a truckload.

Very, very sorry to hear that your body is ganging up on you with the "good" knee going south. Its as if when they really decide to let you know they are about to "Go" they PROBABLY left months ago and you were ignoring it in favor of the worse off knee. It's all relative what worse actually is...as I'm finding out.
 
@TexasTee .... I so wish I had not read your post about the Sperry Top-siders. You know me - always ready for some retail therapy. Anyhow I recognised the Sperry name and was quite excited as a couple of years ago I rented my rental house in Cowes (UK home of Yachting) to an American Shoe firm who were exhibiting at Cowes Week. One of the main lines that they were marketing were Sperry's.
Anyhow I Googled and first up got the Sperry US site - oh, I was in heaven. Those cute printed boat shoes and the lovely sandals! Everything was just perfect for someone who spends a lot of her summer by the sea and around boats, and will be forced to wear flats this year, all summer long. Then I realised everything was in $'s and they only shipped to US. Never fear, I saw there was a UK site and was really excited to find something new, as the brand is not that big over here. I had just got my debit card ready for a little spend and then saw what was on offer in the UK ............Answer: not much. Nice boat shoes, but plain colours, standard styles, nothing clever and no sandals.
BOO! Not happy!
Sorry your hip was playing up today - it obviously came out in sympathy with @Ellejay's other knee. Hope they ease tomorrow and you both have good, pain free weekends.
X
 
I'm sorry about your yoga session @TexasTee, I'm like you, I refuse to give up, putting on a brave face, but then regret it later in the privacy of my own home. I am hobbling around at the moment, I even used a mobility scooter yesterday, but I refuse to give in, my husband and the friends we are with keep asking if I'd prefer to go home, or at least not go out, what- and miss out on all the fun? No not me, I will go on, but be crying with the pain inside. I know what you mean about it all being relative. Oh well, we don't seem to have much of a choice, we have to put up with it.
As to the shoes, I've never been able to wear very high shoes, being on my feet all day long as a teacher, I was always happier in lower heeled shoes, but now it is basically flats, with built in supportive cushioning - old lady shoes as my daughter calls them. They aren't pretty, but they are comfortable, and there again I am that much older than you, so although I'd love some pretty shoes I can put up with my old lady ones.
Take care with the yoga sessions, it's a long time til your op. Lyn xx
 
Our posts crossed @dogwheels, isn't that just the way, you get so excited to find just what you want and then find that you can't have it for one reason or another. That seems so unfair that the company are offering us Brits the plain, boring selection and keeping the nicer ones exclusively for the US, there must be someone who imports them over here? Hope you are continuing to improve, xx Lyn
 
@dogwheels - no fair! why on earth would they not ship to UK? OR not carry the cute ones there? You could ship them here and I could resend? Hard if you need to return them but I'd be happy to do it. Hip was actually fine, it was the stupid knee that was shooting nerve pain the whole session. I think I need to keep doing yoga but probably at home where I'd have the brains to stop after 15 or 20 minutes rather than soldier on.

@Ellejay - I saw that you wrote that you got the scooter and I was way impressed - I'm not usually that smart (witness today) but had high hopes that I will learn the lesson to not over due before it's time for the TKR. I know, for sure, that I need to keep up the muscle so if that means I can't wait until the ideal time then it does but I think with some better caution and attention to what I can and can't do without that pain - some of the most useful things like triangle and awkward pose were fine but the one leg balancing postures were horrific. I do still do the best bow...even if I'm crying....good thing it's hot yoga...sweat, tears - it all looks the same ;)
 
Hi @Ellejay - oh I am so sorry about that other knee of yours. Just when you thought TKR knee was good OK, the other has come up and bit you on the proverbial backside. Hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your break.
My knee seems to be getting there thank goodness, albeit slowly, but that is more by plan than anything else. Nobody wants to rush things. It does feel much 'looser' than before though and not as though I have a bag of loose gravel at the back of my knee! I'm pedalling on my 'wheels' again and am moving the chair further forward by degrees, so things must be improving. I have an Xray and consult with OS on 12 May. Boy will I have a lot to ask him!
@TexasTee - that was unbelievably kind to offer to send the Sperry sandals on for me. I would not impose on you however, as I am not too sure about sizing. My feet are a bit odd at present since the TKR - and seem to have shrunk a bit in size (probably because I am not too active at the moment). The other thing I have found is that currently I have to wear shoes that fit extremely well. If they are the slightest bit loose, I find that my gait is not as good. Therefore its probably best to (reluctantly) leave it for the time being. If I can find some Sperry's to try on in UK, I could get an idea of sizing - then perhaps look on eBay to find an online dealer.
Sorry to have got your hip mixed up with your knee! Cant think why I did that.

Anyway - all this talk of shoes - here are my latest pair ........ my daughter got me some Easter slippers ..........
XX

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Hurrah @TexasTee - I have found a store in US that ships internationally and although they do not have the whole Sperry range, they do have a lot that I really like. Before I order though I am going to contact Sperrys UK and see if they can do a special order. I figure if they have their stock shipped to UK from US, why cant they do me a special order? We'll see, but there are several pairs that I like (especially the espadrille style). Thanks for mentioning them - I will get a pair, somehow!
 
@dogwheels - yeah - good job on finding a source for cute shoes. Smart to find the fit in person though - I have the same issue - well, similar issue, I have to have well fit shoes or I end up getting them caught on a stair or have my stride thrown off.

Nice slippers!
 
Just for the record - left knee still seriously bad, TKR knee fantastic! I have an OS appointment next Monday, hopefully he can help, I cannot walk on that knee at the moment so something has to be done.
 
So sorry you feel so bad. You might be ahead of me in a tkr. I can walk but in pain if any distance. My OS wants to see me in June so will start then. My blood - anemia and low blood platelets - are good now. However my thyroid levels very low and just increased my medication. It has taken me six months to get my blood work normal and I am almost there! I also take low level of Norco ever day as well as other meds for my back and nerve issues. Otherwise I couldn't walk or sit. Glad you are going to OS. Having tkr you know how great other knee can be! I honestly can't wait for other one to be done too. Let us know how you make out! Take care. Xoxo JoAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Lyn ... so sorry to hear your other knee is giving you so much pain and you can barely walk. What a shame. How exciting (is that the correct word to use, I wonder), if we were to have our second TKRs done around the same time? I am a bit like you - I do find it hard to believe I actually volunteered to have the second TKR, but when I walk the dogs, in particular, I could walk so much further, but the non-TKR knee just makes it impossible and together with the Achilles, I can barely hobble once back home. And don't get me started on the backache. I think, and hope, that the backache is happening because I walk so weirdly. Let us know how you get on at the OS. Just think, by this time next year, we might both have lovely strong knees.

Take Care Lyn ... xoxo Ellen

Oh, and @dogwheels I just love those slippers. I wish I could wear something like that to the wedding I am going to on the weekend.
 
Hi @NetballKnees - glad you like the bunny slippers. I have them on right now and they are so comfy. I wish I could wear them outdoors too. Must say I am glad that I have no events looming on the horizon - I don't know what I would wear on my feet for a wedding at the moment. Probably make sure I wore something very long or trousers that would disguise my flat footwear.
Sorry that you are like @Ellejay and have problems with your other knee. I can feel for you with the Achilles as I have Achilles tendonitis in the non-op leg. I thought that all the rest that it has received with my lengthy TKR recovery would allow it calm down and heal, but sadly it has returned with a vengeance. I have my physio doing a bit of work on that as well as my knee. I am not at all sporty, so can only assume I have acquired it from having a strange walking pattern.
Hope your knee is a bit better today Lyn, only the weekend to go and you can get some answers from your OS.
Take it easy and have a good day everybody.
X
 
Good morning @TexasTee, @dogwheels , @DogLoverx3 , @Nana moon 27 ,@Judlepip ,@NetballKnees ,@yiayia3 and everyone else, sorry if I've forgotten to mention, I'm still sitting in bed waiting for the pain killers to have an effect, it's absolutely pouring down with rain outside, I'd like stay here as long as I can, but I do need to get up, Ocado are delivering my shopping soon, and then my hairdresser is coming at 10 o'clock. I'm having a full cut this morning, she sometimes pops in just to trim my fringe (bangs?). It's not as luxurious as your hairdresser sounds @dogwheels, but at least I'm not having to go out in this awful weather.
I saw the physiotherapist yesterday who 'signed off' my right knee, agreed that there wasn't much more she could do for it, although the bend is still nowhere as much as I'd like, I'm only at 100, so I still can't ride my bike, which is my goal. So that's just lots more work at home and in the pool. As to my left knee, she feels that I haven't done anything awful to it, probably the cortisone injection has just worn off and because I have been more active in the last two months the extra wear and tear have affected it and now I can feel it, whereas before I couldn't. I suppose it makes sense, at least I know it's not serious damage, just severe arthritis. So I can still exercise (through the pain) and wait until Monday to see what the OS says. A few of us seem to all be jostling on the starting line for when we will be starting all over again, or in your case @TexasTee just starting. At least now I know it's not damaged I can probably have another injection which might last long enough for me to get to France for the first part of the summer.
Take care everyone and have a good day/ afternoon/ evening xxxxx
 
Good morning. What interesting posts! Strange that I've just found this thread and you're talking shoes! 'cos - I'm off today to search for sturdy shoes (who thought I'd get to this! sigh). If I'm 'walking' (rather than strolling) I've found I must use trainers or even my walking boots, but have decided I probably should wear good sturdy shoes for general popping round town etc too. I'm going to look up those Sperry ones you mentioned @dogwheels. Heyho, have a good day everyone! PS. love the slippers!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip, have you checked out Hotter shoes recently, they have updated their styles and now do some fairly fashionable shoes. I have two pairs of their Shake shoes for general walking around town and a pair of their Gore Tex shoes for tougher walking, and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I know they have a branch in Canterbury. Good luck finding some xxx
 
Thanks very much @Ellejay. I wondered about them, will take a look (and report back!!).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Morning @Ellejay. Sounds very logical what your physio said. Probably same issue I am having now. I do hope you get thru the beginning of the summer! Enjoy your day!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Good morning @Ellejay - I expect by now you are cut and blown and your hair is looking really good. Wish I could say the same ........ cant wait until next week. I would really love to have a good home hairdresser, but as I have my highlights (aka disguising the grey bits) done quite frequently, it makes a big mess with the foils and everything - and I much prefer a back-wash. My usual place is nice - super drinks and snacks and complimentary massages - but sadly as I said, I don't think I am their ideal client in my current state. The salon is all multi split levels ..... can you imagine me hobbling about from chair to wash to chair, up and down, up and down?? They would probably try and tuck me away out of view at the back of the salon. The weirdest thing there is the loo. It is very luxurious and has UV lighting. I'll tell you a funny story ............ Before the TKR I was dosing myself up to keep any colds and flu at bay, and was drinking Berocca (effervescent VitC drink) every day. If you have taken Berocca for any length of time you will know that once you have the desired level of VitC, the rest comes out in your pee, so it is quite a bright lurid colour. I went for a pre-op hair makeover - and popped to the loo. I don't know what it was - but the combination of Berocca in my system and the loo's UV lighting made it look as though I was producing alien urine!! I couldn't stop sniggering about it when I got back to the chair.

I hope that your physio is right and they can get your knee to calm down again. I think she may have a point, for as soon as your operated leg started to behave well you were rejoicing in all the things you were able to do again, and really went for it with the gym and walking and everything. Don't forget that a lot of the exercises that you do for the TKR, work the other leg (sometimes in different ways) too. Anyway Lynn, your OS sounds good as does your PT so you will be in good hands, whatever the outcome.

Hope your hunt for shoes goes well @Judlepip. Be careful in those 'skinnies' that you can bend down to put shoes on in the shop! Or alternatively, if you have obedient feet perhaps you will be ordering from the comfort of your chair? Much the best solution today with the rainy weather, I think.

Anyway, enjoy your day and talk later
X
 
Back
Top Bottom