THR Elf1 Recovery Road

I think the resting and doing nothing is working better than the muscle relaxers and lidocaine patches so going to keep with that for the weekend
Yep.:yes:
Thinking rest is what the muscles needed.
Double yep:yes::yes:
Might've cracked the door to the dreaded ODIC, but good old R&R will hopefully get you back on track.
:friends:
 
Baby steps, but progress, so that's a step in the right direction. I think the "rest" therapy you're practicing will help immensely. Prayers for your comfort, dear Elf.
@Elf1
 
@Elf1 I was catching up on your progress and I am so sorry to hear about your recent painful experiences.
It sounds like you think it began when you walked with your cane in Walmart.
This may or may not be similar. My podiatrist had me walk on a treadmill with a tucked in t-shirt and recorded my gait at different speeds on an IPad, without my cane. What we saw was I was using my left back muscles to move my right hip, when my right hip was tired. I do not think most podiatrists do this, but she was offering a gait analysis as part of her service as I was getting fitted for orthotics.
I am glad rest seems to be helping you. Recovery sounds so tricky at times. You feel better, do a bit more, and find out ODIC. I do hope this resolves very quickly for you.
 
Oh no the meds don't work and you have to wait until Tuesday? Seems like a long time to wait for relief.Does a heating pad help? I use heat on just about everything--just a thought. Can you go to emergency if pain becomes unbearable?
 
Sorry you're still in pain. :boohoo:. Maybe go back to your pool and just float a bit? Not really walk or exercise, but maybe the warm water and feeling of weightlessness will relieve some of the back pain? Have a good weekend. Hope next week brings more comfort. :console2:
 
Well, I say rest up as much as you can this weekend, @Elf1, as that often does the trick in terms of pain. Nice to read you're able to walk without major pain, sounds like a definite improvement. And those kind of small, incremental steps are important in hip recovery--hope you're smiling about that. Have a good day.
 
@Elf1 darn, girl!! I hope you are feeling better today and you continue to rest.
Hopefully thus is just a blip on the radar.
Im still surprised at the benefits gained by simply stepping back on activities.
Take care, my fellow hippie Sunbeam! :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:
 
@VSlowLife not sure if it was my stroll around Wal-Mart or the PT doing an adjustment on my SI joints, or a combination of things. Was using the shopping cart during my walk so would think I'd be a bit more balanced than with the cane. Who knows?!

@mikey, @Calgal, @Barbaraj, and @CricketHip the pain has let up quite a bit with just rest and using a heating pad, ice isn't really proving to be helpful so have dropped it. Will continue to take it easy for a while longer and if I'm feeling better on Monday will go try floating in the pool.

I just can't imagine being in the ODIC as it sure doesn't seem like I do much but who knows! I do know that more parts of my body is affected by this hip surgery and recovery then just my right side. PA said it perfectly the other day, you never really pay much attention to how things are connected in your body until you have one of these surgeries and things start piping up!
 
I agree with the PA. I'm having more lower back pain now than earlier in recovery. I've done more walking and steps past couple days and boy I feel it. Take care, keep on keeping on.
 
Whoops!! I got mixed up. You’re a July Sparkler. I get confused since I began as a Sparkler,too..
glad to see your reply and read that you're better.
I sing the song of the bones to clients all of the time. Right after they ask why their shoulder hurts when their hip or other body parts were the injured part...
The knee bone’s connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone’s connected to the hip bone!
And
So on..:holysheep: :heehee:
 
Last edited:
Oh yes Elf1 you become aware of parts and areas in your body you had no idea existed. Nothing like pain to call your full attention to things.I also need softness around the area--strange as it may seem it helps.Like my hand right now which I have to see someone for again I wrap in a fleece blanket and it soothes me. Maybe a soft pillow around the area. Oh boy do I feel for you. But it seems to be abating somewhat. I am slowing down too.
 
So sorry you are having some pain issues Elf. Sometimes resting completely is the best thing. I hope you get some answers and relief very soon
 
Elf1.........hope you are able to enjoy a float in the pool. I found out about ODIC the other day. Your body just gets ticked I guess when it's trying to heal while we give it even more to do without really knowing at the time. Or something like that.:thud:

Feel better.
 
Hi, @Elf1, I hope you have an easy day planned with lots of rest. Preferably, you should be invited to a lowkey barbecue with friends or family where you are not required to bring a thing, but can go and sit comfortably and sip something cold while chatting with folks, good conversation and laughter--a good distraction from discomfort, I feel. And certainly a lazy float in the pool if you're up to it would be a wonderful treat. Whatever you're up to, hope you're feeling better today and able to do exactly what you'd like on this holiday. Cheers!
 
Good Afternoon :wave:
Two days since you last updated. I hope today finds you feeling much better than you were on Saturday and doing something that brings you joy on this holiday. You mentioned you'd like to float in the pool today, hopefully you're feeling up to it and you're able to do so. Enjoy the rest of the day!
@Elf1
 
Unfortunately seems that when it rains it pours! The back/side pain is getting better, still there but livable. Somehow seem to have caught a bug that is going around. Spent all day yesterday in bed, only getting up for frequent bathroom visits and refill my drink. Finally got up took a shower and now chilling on couch. Ate a few crackers with cream cheese, first food since Saturday night. Was so not how I wanted to spend my weekend!

Figure if the back is still bothering me on Thursday when I see the doc may just ask for the trigger point injection just to move it along. Trying to figure out exactly when I'm going to drop my notice at work that I'm not going to come back. Just don't want to deal with the drive everyday and then being up there for 9 hours when you add the lunch hour. Not a lot of places to go for lunch so usually stay at the office. And, I really wasn't doing anything, I mean seriously, anything, before I left and just can't handle that, it's not in my makeup. Now that I'm in a new month it will cover my other insurance through the end of the month before I go back to just my regular insurance. Wanted to make sure all the surgery related appts were out of the way before I start needing referrals again. I know it may sound strange but this insurance was forced on me so figured I might as well get my money's worth out of it as they normally don't pay for much of anything. And the good thing I have found in all of this is I am way less stressed not going to a job I hate!

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend for those that have it and happy Monday to the rest!
 
Aww, Elf, I'm so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I'll bet the shower felt good after camping out in bed for all that time. Showering, moving away from your bed to the sofa and wanting to eat are all good signs. Thankfully the back and side pain is also easing.

I'll bet you feel relieved in your decision to give your notice at work. Nine hours a day, five days a week, in the same space gets old. You must be excited to move further along in recovery and start filling your days with whatever fulfills and brings you joy. It's a new chapter, how exciting!

Get lots of rest and feel better soon!
@Elf1
 
@Elf1 Sorry you had a bug. I never do much on holidays. Been trying to do late spring cleaning a little at a time. I sure believe this hip surgery can bring on other areas of pain, I've had a few myself that can't put my finger on. I think you will not regret quitting your job. What a relief that will be for you. Take care of yourself, you deserve some pampering. Hope you feel better soon....♥️
 
Good on you @Elf1 ! Leaving a job that is mentally and physically demoralizing can only open new better doors for something better. I ended up retiring 5 months before my op - but secretly thought I might go back....uh, no. Now I'm through the worst and feeling better than I have in years, I've got a long list of things I want to do to enjoy life! Hopefully your aches and pains will end soon and you can get on with the life you love. Cheers! :cheers:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom