BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by eelainea65, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Annie LTKR

Annie LTKR junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Dear Elaine,
    This is temporary you will recover eventually and everyone does this at a different rate. My 80 year old neighbour has been telling me off daily (in a nice way) for not bending my knee enough and sharing his exercises with me!

Can you get some fresh air , an upbeat visitor , listen to your favourite music ?

When my work colleagues came round we laughed at all their family / work updates it’s uplifting to forget about knees for a while.
    I teach physics and when I get a new class I tell them that it is a forbidden in my lesson to say ‘I don’t get it’ instead they can ask for help but they needed to say although they don’t understand it now , they will in the future! Obviously my students think I’m bonkers but they do really well.

Sending you healing vibes from the UK and warm wishes.
    Annie x

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. marieltha

marieltha senior

United States United States
    Love your cat, and the fact that you shared your ice.

As for the compression socks, might not be a complete loss... if any of my socks feel too tight—LOL, as in all of them after knee surgery when all the nerves in the leg are on high alert, I just take scissors and snip the edge in the back. Worth a try.

I also find that even a half of the lowest dose tramadol combined with 2 tylenol 500mg gives some decent pain relief. And I hate to take anything. But pain interferes with the recovery.

Hope you feel better soon. Hug that beautiful cat.

3. Benay

Benay graduate

Amazon should be fine with the return of the sleeve.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m sorry you are so discouraged. :console2:

I remember another member who had a long discouraging recovery. She finally had a good outcome.

Here is her thread, you might find comfort in her journey.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/marguette’s-6-to-12-months-journey.47205/

Read my next post before you check out her thread.

5. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Here is Marguette’s most recent post:

6. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Just read your thread, and sorry to hear you've been through so much. Your comment about the compression sleeve made me smile, as I just did similar and ordered a 'one size fits all' neoprene knee wrap (to hold ice packs in place I was thinking). Well it arrived, and it just about fits round my arm (yes I could lose some weight but I'm not THAT big!), the legs in the listing photo must belong to a child ....:loll:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sorry you're still so uncomfortable. I know you are probably tired of hearing it, but you're still recovering at 13 weeks.
    Keep on with the icing, elevating and gentle motions.

I was still doing stairs a bit gingerly at 12-14 weeks--especially down. But I just took it a little at a time and gradually they became easier and easier.
    Hang in there. :console2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Annie LTKR

Annie LTKR junior member

Hope you are feeling ok. This forum was so comforting when I had my TKR as I’m was woefully unprepared. Reading true recovery stories made me feel less isolated. Thinking of you! Ps please can you tell me what exactly a cliff diver is?

9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets 6-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Acetaminophen in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

You are making progress, but that progress has slowed down now. You won't see the almost-daily improvements you had earlier in your recovery.

This is a year-long recovery and you're only a third of the way through it. There's plenty of time for improvement and your knee is working quietly in the background, to achieve that improvement. Your knee won't always feel like it does now. It's still a work in progress, not the finished article.
    Tortoise forward.PNG

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jboles

jboles graduate

I understand your feelings of frustration, because I have the same feelings. You’re not alone. I envy the members who have such great outcomes, sadly, I’m not one of those either. That’s not to say that we both won’t be that person, eventually, but we want it now!! When it comes down to it , we have no choice but to keep plugging on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BridgetJ

BridgetJ new member

I logged in tonight looking for someone struggling so I didn’t feel so alone. I found this thread and I am sincerely sorry you experiencing such a challenging journey but want to thank you for sharing. I had a total knee in May 2018 and it “didn’t work” so I had a revision April 2019 and during post op recovery a blood clot was discovered so went back into surgery for a bypass. I want my life back - I am (or was) a very active person....I miss hiking, biking and enjoying all outdoor activities. Initially I had great hope but have lost sight of the light at the end of the tunnel. I just want you to know you are not alone...and neither am I. As everyone says, we will get through this. I was told by my trainer not to compare day to day. Rather, are you better today than you were last month? I do feel stronger but my pain is not better. My extension and flexion are not better. I guess the lesson is to focus on the positive....even the small things. Again, thank you for sharing....you helped me. I pray for your physical and emotional healing. I will continue to watch your journey.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

I'm sorry you're still feeling this way. I think the others have said it all already. You're almost a quarter of the way there and considering you have all those stairs to deal with I'm not surprised your knee is still objecting to them, but there's little you can do without growing a pair of wings. At 6 months my knee still lets me know if I've climbed up and down a lot of steps.

My favourite mantra is 'Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.' Celebrate the things you can do now that you couldn't do 8 weeks ago and maybe find some new things to enjoy whilst waiting for the healing process to continue.

What sort of things do you enjoy? I did some jigsaw puzzles and free online courses. My Pilates teacher is working with someone recovering from surgery who is having difficulty with walking and other mobility issues. She puts on some happy music and they just move weight from one foot to the other swinging their arms around, almost dancing, but makes her feel better. I hope you can find something to help, take your mind to a happier place and away from the pain. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Motherbone

Motherbone member

@eelainea65 I have read your entire thread and there are similarities in our experiences. I can empathize with your feeling of losing hope. I had the same feeling and still have flashes of it. I was scheduled for my left TKR in July when stress fractures in the left ankle caused it to be postponed and took away all the progress I had made from last Fall, when my right kneecap broke after my right TKR. I was just trying to get to the place where I could walk with some semblance of normalcy and I was heartbroken to be back in a wheelchair unable to walk at all. I'm a little calmer with distance from it and all I can think now is that the Universe was trying to tell me that it wasn't the right time to have that second TKR. Who knows why? My little human brain can't figure it out any more than I can figure out God. Nevertheless, I am plagued with anxiety about whether I will ever be able to walk again and I have to work daily on simply living in the moment, reminding myself that yesterday is over, that tomorrow hasn't even come yet, but that becoming shrunken and bitter isn't going to help the person I could be tomorrow.

This whole psychological thing is a battle for our souls and I think we need to pray for one another, so trust that you will be in my prayers. Don't feel bad about feeling angry or sad. Sometimes you just have to accept yourself where you are and trust that you will feel a little better the next day, week, month, or whatever. I do think that before we can regain some hope for the future we have to mourn and grieve for the things we can no longer do (whether temporarily or not, we don't know right now) and for what we had hoped and expected from the surgeries, but never received. And yes, there is envy of the people whose recoveries have been successful. This is not a feeling that I am proud of, but I've found it's best to acknowledge it, then just move on. This allows me to eventually feel happiness for other people's successes.

I was outraged to read of how you were dumped by the man you love but I absolutely believe that what goes around comes around, and that eventually we get back what we dish out, so I think the Universe will eventually deal with him too.

Stop watching inspirational videos about paraplegics who can do more physically than we could ever do before we developed our joint problems! I believe this leads us to make unhealthy comparisons. We are not paraplegic.

Hobble on! :tiredwheel:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Motherbone

Motherbone member

@eelainea65 I'm checking in, haven't heard from you. Post and let us know what's up.