Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

Just wait and call them later. Follow the activity progression chart and if you have access to a stationary or recumbent bike ride it for 5-10 minutes with 0 resistance. I always felt it helped to loosen up my knee and gain bend.
 
Man, I've never heard anyone scheduling a patient so far ahead. I know I never would have agreed to that. But, I am experienced in knee surgery and rehab. I agree with @KarriB, a bike would do you the most good. You might even be able to find one at a Goodwill place really reasonable. I got mine from Amazon. If you're paying $50 a pt visit, you can buy a brand new bike by missing 2 visits and then you can increase you ROM and strength yourself. Don't you have the right to tell them to cancel all your visits until further notice? You don't have to tell your doctor a thing. If he asks how pt is doing just smile and say you're working hard at it. It won't be a lie. You don't have to go to pt to rehab yourself.
 
My recumbent bike was jut $200 at Walmart and I still ride it everyday. I had a regular stationary bike, but it hurt my back side. I love my recumbent bike!
 
Thank you both . Yes I bought 2 bikes recently. One proform 965r recumbent and a schwinn regular one (I don't like). got em for $10 each. Got a friend to bring the recumbent in the livingroom... Gonna start on it in the a.m.
Also I bought a message table for my slides and whatnot.
Wish me luck. Stay in touch. CLAY
 
@hope4clay I recently got my recumbent bike and I love it. It actually makes me feel better to rock back and forth. My knee gets "looser". I stretch first thing in the morning, then I get on the bike for 5 minutes then I finish with my exercises. It's the only way to get my knee started for the day. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :loveshwr:
 
Great that you already have the bikes! Start really slow, and you might have to just rock back and forth before you can do revolutions. I think all of us started that way. It took me over a week of rocking before I went all the way around. You will be able to go backwards before forward for some reason. When you make that first revolution you will be ready to jump for joy. Well, maybe not really, but in your mind you will! Each week you'll see an improvement. But, remember to start slow and let your tissues and muscles adjust. And no tension at all!
 
Looks like a lot of pieces of info are coming together. eg maybe your sore elbow is due to you using the strap to pull your heel towards you?
Using a bike should certainly help but don't go mad trying to reach set goals. I have a little pedaler thing which I use from my chair so it has the same effect as a recumbant bike. It has a digital display so I do a set number of rotations then move it slightly closer and try again. If I'm having a sore day I just forget it!
I know its really hard to ignore 'professionals'. We do need some physio especially for massage but not necessarily the heavy duty stuff.
 
Thanks all of you!
As fas as biking goes, PT has had me ding the bike since approximately week3 I think?
It wasn't long before I was doing 1.7 to 2.0 miles in 10 minutes.
Some days I didn't go that far but I definately have to do 10 minutes at the beginning of my session.
I believe it was much easier than the ones at the Y and the one I have because it is the Cadillac of bikes with so many settings to make you comfy and recline and support and all that.
But yeah. I've been biking for at least a month.
And...I've never done heel slides with out a strap. Rehab had me doing that since day 4 post op and I just thought it was ok because I could do it.
Everyone had guaged my knee bend after my 10th or 20th strap pull and I pull it back as hard and far as I can to get my reading. Since week 2 or 3 I've been at 120 both and currently at 132 both. I've been at 129/130 for quite a while now
 
These are good bends! Just have to fix the pain and debilitation. Not quite so easy!
 
@hope4clay
Not sure if you've ever watched Seinfeld, but the 24 hour notice comment you made reminded me of one of the episodes. Except he called his PT a "delicate genius."

Anyway... you are in a union, is there any way you could talk to your rep about what's going on? I also wonder if the workman's comp is a done deal? If your company knew you were injured at work, I think they have some sort of responsibility to you. Can you look into short term disability? I had that and now get long term since I've been out of work since June 8, 2016. The good news for me is that when I'm cleared for work, my recent/ex employer will pay unemployment while I look for a different job and find one. I'm currently paying COBRA because it is excellent insurance and way cheaper that the marketpkace.

Sorry I'm not much help. Oh...I'm super fat and it was never an issue. Once you are healed, it will be much easier to lose weight, IF you want to.

Jen
 
@ACDCJen
Hahaha. Yes. I know the episode. The weird Wendy? that needed to get outa the 60s with that hair. Lol..Elaines friend who made her walk several blocks with all the skis and the poles. Hahaha. And George, haha. Good episode.

I will do some checking but I think in my case that ship has sailed.
When I didn't stay off work after each incident and came back to work on my own. I pretty much let them off the hook.
I mean...with a work related injury, there is a 2 year clause that you can go back and make noise about it. But I have elected to go it alone and I am sure they'd fight my claim after I've totally dis*included their ability to use their company chosen drs.
I don't know, but I can tell ya . Our union is so watered down, they prolly wouldn't give a **** about this, they barely take care of the things that is absolutely an issue. They are and alwaya have been in bed with our company. Another story for another time.
Thank you Jen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Btw. I am drawing short term disability from the company but its not much. $277 every 2weeks after taxes.
I would like to ck into the other things that you are getting. I've let them off the hook and taken all this on my own for so long. I do think they should do more
 
Clay, you have good ROM so there's no reason for PT anymore. What you need to do is get rid of the pain. Only do heel slides with your own leg power. Using a strap is only aggravating your soft tissue, causing pain and not building muscle naturally. A few heel slides under your own leg power, biking at 0 resistance, short walks and ADLs (activities of daily living) are all you need. It's too early to build muscle using weights right now, that will cause all kind of pain. Month 4-5 is safe for building muscle, but only if you're pain free. I hope you'll see a difference in a week or two.
 
I'm taking that advise
I hope to see a big difference soon as well.
@KarriB thanks a lot.
Will Stay in touch. CLAY
 
They're not letting go of you easily, are they? I think you should try and adopt a "don't call me, I'll call you" attitude with them. Rather dictatorial, I think!

As for the return to work, do remember the point of all this was that you would improve more quickly.

I would also suggest that if you are asked 'have you been doing PT' you just be evasive with a comment like "I've been active" and decline to be pressed further on the topic! Or perhaps you could say something like you've been following the new Mayo Clinic protocol! (It does exist!)
 
And...I've never done heel slides with out a strap. Rehab had me doing that since day 4 post op and I just thought it was ok because I could do it. I've been at 129/130 for quite a while now
With ROM like that you don't need heel slides or anything similar!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom