Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

When you're ready. Look after yourself first. Tag me when you're done.
 
@hope4clay

So sorry to hear you are struggling. I am still using my crutches to get around outside of the house. I usually use a cane at home, but have had a wound setback that increased my pain for now. For me, I seemed to have an "orthopedic moment" where I suddenly realized that I felt better and my knee was functioning better too! I have not overdone PT this last time, but I do a lot of stretching and using my floor cycle. I also walk in my house. I have trouble getting up from most chairs. I have found that if I keep my feet flat oin the floor, flex my quads, use my upper body strength, and push forward, it isn't as difficult.

Sending pain-free thoughts your way!!!

Jen
 
@hope4clay, First I agree with many others, don't do too much, you will only lengthen your recovery. You are only a little more than a month out!! I still had significant pain well into 8 weeks, then I went to only one day a week of PT and had significantly less pain doing daily activities. From 8 to 10 weeks, I had little pain but lots of stiffness and the rubberband feeling. It will come, you need to be patient, that is the very hard part because you keep looking to be better every day and it doesn't happen in days, it doesn't happen in in a straight line...feeling better day by day, it is an up and down recovery then all of a sudden it starts to improve. Do you have ice machines? They really help with the pain and swelling.
Also, talk to your employer to find out what your options are...I only had 12 weeks of FMLA also but if you have been a good employee, they may be willing to extend on a company leave of absence. Good Luck and keep posting on your progress...
Blessings,
Lene'
 
Thanks you guys. Yes, I too have 12 weeks and I am confident that I will me granted more time because others have and being a union member they cannot discriminate (I guess). I tell myself everyday, it'll get better, just count my blessings and try not to get depressed cause all I seem to have power to do is rest, move around the house a little, and eventually go back and lay down. My furniture sucks and it fatigues me relatively quickly. I can't relax in any of it very long before parts of me get irritated and or begin to go numb and fall asleep.

Keep posting. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and help. Kudos to this forum, Clay
 
@hope4clay stay strong clay both in mind and the physical dive of things. I am half way through my 11 week and it has been a tough recovery. The ups and downs are everyday I've really had some moments when I've thought have I done the right thing by having the operation.

This forum has been great and if you look between the lines most of what we go through is the norm for what we've had done.

I still have to tell myself to calm down and let things take there natural course. As my physio said to me you've got two new knees don't forget.
Clay all the best keep ya chin up pal.
 
@hope4clay I hope everything is going well for you. I know you are frustrated with your progress but wanted you to know that sometimes healing goes in fits and spurts. Just wanted you to know that you can get huge changes from "no way!" to "no problem!" in just a couple of weeks. Hang in there.

At week 10, my husband asked me to go jeeping with him and I was not even remotely close to getting in without a step or two. His jeep has huge tires and a big lift kit, so I need to swing my leg up and over the door frame (almost hip level on me) and then pull myself up to the seat. There was no way I could even think of doing it and did not go with him.

Today I’m at 13 weeks since my bilateral. Yesterday, he invited me again. I could get in all on my own (although by the end of the day, I needed to grab my pant leg to help lift my first leg in). I was in and out of the jeep at least a dozen times (and in no pain today).
 
@Want2hike, thank you so much for your encouragement, I need to believe things will improve drastically, and I will be shouting from the rooftops to you all as soon as it happens
 
Have you forgotten my questions I left you? You agreed you would like me to post them.
No matter if you've changed your mind just as long as you let me know so I can stop watching your thread!
 
Yeah, I did kind of forget, I'm having a lot of difficulty in several areas of my life these days and not really handling it very well, I apologize...
 
No worries. I'm sorry to hear that. I'll take that as a 'thanks but no thanks' then! :)
 
@Josephine, I wanted to answer your questions, you went to the trouble of writing out all that and I will take time to do it now. I'm sorry I was slow, I've been sick and developed other pains as a result of overcompensating (a continual of things I did at work, before surgery)

pain level is a 2

taking practically no meds except after pt if it was brutal

swelling is slight

ROM was 132 each and 1/2 Left then right

not icing at home much and not elevating much either
light activity, mostly the pt I attend 3 times a week

I stopped the home exercises except straight leg raises, and walking, light
now PT, I do,
ride the recumbent, 10 minutes
short arch quads 5 lbs added 3 sets of 20 each leg
slides 2 sets of 10, then get a reading (I'm at 132* each)
hamstring stretches with the band, hold 20 seconds, 5 times, rest in between.
on my belly, I do quad stretches hold for 20, 5 times each leg
on belly again, feet hang over ...knees at the edge, weighted for 10 minutes
straight leg raises, 20 each, 3 times
machine leg presses, 50lbs, 3 sets 0f 20
same machine, ankle pumps, 50lbs, 2 sets of 20
with strap around my butt, I do 20 walk backward things, 70lbs, tension pulling all the time, keep legs straight. It burns all over front and back high and low
I might have missed one but that's where I'm at right now

Thanks Clay
 
From looking at what you are doing in PT I would suggest that you not do any exercises that uses weights. If your ROM is already 132 you really don't need PT anymore especially if it is causing you pain. Day to day activities are pretty much all you need right now.
 
I agree with Marian. You don't really need anything at this point with 132 flex, especially since you are in pain.
 
Thanks for the answers, Clay
pain level is a 2
Only 2? But the reason I left you the questions was because of this comment:
I cant take this pain much longer
So which is correct?
taking practically no meds except after pt if it was brutal
Now I'm really confused - you're taking NO pain meds at only 7 weeks out?And if your PT is so harsh you need to take pain meds after, then it's the wrong kind of therapy!
ROM was 132 each and 1/2 Left then right
Wow that's awesome for 7 weeks out! Is that on both knees? And what is your extension - Extension: how to estimate it
swelling is slight
Okay
not icing at home much and not elevating much either
okay :scratch:
light activity, mostly the pt I attend 3 times a week
What YOU mean by 'light' and what I mean is probably two different things! I need details, please!
I stopped the home exercises except straight leg raises, and walking, light
Very pleased to hear it!

My comments in bold
At PT I do,
ride the recumbent x10 minutes - okay
straight leg raises, 20 each, 3 times - here's a tip about SLRs - once you can do them you don't need to do them any more! Certainly not at 60 reps at a time!
short arc quads 5 lbs added 3 sets of 20 each leg - the same above applies but certainly not with weights! That is the BIGGEST no-no of all!
heel slides 2 sets of 10 - another no-no. 20 at a time is not on. Read this Heel slides and how to do them properly.
hamstring stretches with the band, hold 20 seconds x5 - stretches are okay but not with a band and not as many. 2 or 3 2-3 times a day is better
on my belly, I do quad stretches hold for 20, 5 times each leg - that is not a good idea! Really it is not!
on belly again, feet hang over ...knees at the edge, weighted for 10 minutes - this is very much not a good idea! Walking is the best for extension, not this
machine leg presses, 50lbs, 3 sets 0f 20 - on NO account should you be using a leg press!
same machine, ankle pumps, 50lbs, 2 sets of 20 - same again!
with strap around my butt, I do 20 walk backward things, 70lbs, tension pulling all the time, keep legs straight. It burns all over front and back high and low - it burns because it's a BAD exercise to to!

Read this article BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy


I've actually never before seen a worse schedule of exercises and all directed by a PT! :doh:That's outrageous! My dear man, my heart aches for you. This is not the way it's supposed to be. I suggest you quit PT immediately and just do stretches and a bike at home (if you have one) and walk but walk moderate distances and remember that if you walk out for 15 minutes, you will need another 15 minutes to get home again!

It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Dwight... I agree with Josephine....cancel that P/T..... give your poor body a break....I know you are afraid you are not going to be able to pull yourself up or your legs are not going to be strong, but you will be better to let the tissues calm down, your muscles will get strong with just walking... your range of motion is fabulous for a month and a half out!! No worries there...You have been cut and pulled apart, let things heal now...you will get stronger when things settle down, your swelling will go away faster too. At least take a week break from PT and see how you feel, walk some if you can see if you feel better...if you do, don't go back!

Blessings,
Lene'
 
A week will not do it. A month might but I'd like to see him quit altogether!
 
Those leg presses with weights are a :bignono: . As Josephine said, you're far too early in recovery to use weights. My PT waited until month 4-5 to do anything with weights. It won't help you be ready for work, but it may hold you back. Give your leg a rest and take Jo's suggestion, biking is the best thing I did for my TKR, but at 0 resistance for now.
 
Thanks you guys. I took your advice, I cancelled any more PT through the next 2 weeks. I don't think they approved but I am gonna see how I do for the next 2 weeks.

Honestly, I have trouble with walking all the time. My legs are overwhelmed. I can't tolerate more than a few minutes and I know its my weight! !!! I struggle like heck and its making me sad.

I've gone from being a very active man, to a do all I can person til I had to sit down, depressed and unfulfilled, looking at my half baked projects from a chair (pre op), to now since surgery small improvements to me, unable to walk with any length, no matter what I do, PT or not, I'm not lazy and honestly, no-one is more determined to win at this thing and get back to my very physical job.

I'm losing a ton of money and knowing that 3rd week of February I expireFMLA and my co. provided medical insurance is gone.

I'm hoping for a miracle by 2/20/2017, but the way I feel and have been going, I haven't improved much in the last few weeks....

I got brave, went without my walker a couple of days last week. OMG, did I ever pay!

I hurt my right elbow somehow. Also I've re-damaged my umbilical hernia, sorry for the ramble but I am in daily despair. I don't see myself being anywhere close to playing monkey climb boy in and out of super high semi trucks.

Dang I'm bugged by this.
 
You are experiencing the blues that seems to hit a lot of us post op. Try to keep your eye on your goal. You will get stronger as time goes by. Keepe elevating and icing as much as possible. Keep your exercises to walking around to do what needs to get done in your home. If you can get outside just to get some fresh air that can sometimes help with cabin fever.
 
@hope4clay. I know you're really miserable and worried about your job. When I'm anxious I try to have a plan B and C. What might happen if you can't do your old job? Will you be fired or might your employer respect your many years of service and find you something less strenuous to do? Can you manage with less income? If the worst happens with your employer what skills do you have that might be of interest to another employer? What I'm saying here is that just because you've been a truck driver all your life doesn't mean that's all you could do. These pesky knees could be your route to a different and better life! Plan for the worst but hope for the best.
And cut back on all those exercises!!
Good luck.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom