Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

If I had it to do over I would have gone through work comp but they suck so much and I disapprove of their care and the drag their feet process snd occupational doctor that makes it obvious their objective is to please the co. and not the patient.

I took the advice of my surgeon to do both knees, because of my limited 12 week window FMLA but was sceptical because I was at the peak weight 300lbs, to approve both knees, knowing that I'd probably be faced with the maximum challenges. My one friend had to lose 40 lbs before they'd do just one, he was over 300lbs.

Thank you for your help here, its much needed and highly appreciated, its obvious I'm pretty nervous about all this. Oh yeah, by the way, my left leg at the knee feels like it's off, crooked, feels moderately unstable and feels like I'm walking on a crookedly built stilt if one can imagine,

As said before I regret not doing this through work comp because both my knees were injured at work, documented, seen by ER taken to hospital by supervisor and the other a year later by our occupational clinic, after incident on the job , both occurring climbing up and into the truck.

Also, I've regretted not just doing one, leaving one to be more helpful, but was told by others they'd not do the 2nd one because of what they'd been through. In other words, they said I was doing the right thing because what I'm in for, you'll be glad you did. Well, so far I'm not ....

I am old school, the primary bread winner, my employer of 20yrs provides the good insurance, the wife's coverage is an unaffordable JOKE compared to mine and I cannot lose or quit this job. I've worked so long, gone through soooo much to get to the level of seniority I have and it makes me nauseous to imagine losing it all cause I can't do any of it cause I allowed myself to be hacked sliced and diced and can't recover cause I'm so darn Fat.

Thanks again you all.
 
@newlybionic and @Spex10 u
I was continuing my whine fest as you both replied.
In response....nothing do I qualifies for anything lighter duty, unless I give up my seniority and pay. It would mean bottom barrel seniority and the work would be harder and entry level ****, and I wouldn't do that, I'd just leave.

I've been there too long and it's too far to go be demoted just cause I can't perform. It's a union shop, I wouldn't start over at this hole for these unappreciative morons, lol

Plan B is leave, use my 401k to pay off my home and figure it out.

Otherwise I don't know :)
 
Well get thinking!! Don't let your pride get in the way of things. I don't know how far off pension age you are or if you have a pension worth waiting for. Don't get nauseous thinking about it. Force yourself to. Its your life. You've already considered 2 alternatives. Which is least worst or are there other alternatives? Transfer the proactive energy you're putting into too much exercise into some potential life planning and you could find yourself in a much better place. Could you use this time to retrain for example?
I don't mean to be annoying I'm just struck by your situation. Nobody is going to fix it but you and you don't have to be stuck in the same groove.
 
Have you discussed your concerns about your leg feeling crooked with your surgeon? Do the X-rays show that it is straight? If your legs were crooked before surgery, the straight leg might just feel weird to walk on since it will be a different position.

Have you bought new shoes? My legs were crooked before surgery and old wear patterns were trying to force my newly straightened legs into an old crooked position, causing awkwardness and discomfort.

By nature, I am a worrier, so I know that what I'm about to suggest will sound impossible.
STOP THINKING ABOUT YOUR JOB!

Worrying is causing you stress, which is causing inflammation and pain. Either you will be strong enough to return at 12 weeks or you won't. Worrying about it will not change that (other than possibly slow you down). At week 11 you can start thinking about your job and working with your employer about other options if you aren't ready, but until then, STOP! Right now, you need to focus on making sure your pain is properly managed and you are getting enough rest and good nutrition to heal from major surgery. You need to find positives every day to get in a better state of mind. A lot of healing can happen in the next few weeks...focus positive energy on that, instead of negative energy on worry.

Not at all easy, but you can do it!
 
Right! You're right.

I'm bugged mostly cause I have a therapist who is rated top therapist in our county. Seems to be very popular and loved by many. Seems to be helping many many people. Lol

Also, the rechecks I have attended at my surgeons office has been both by his PA and my 6 week recheck he was ready to return me to work. I had to remind him what my job entails and he gave me another month off. He said " continue PT And do activity as tolerated".
I don't know what he's gonna say when if he discovers I decided to terminate PT. lol
I guess I will find out. Lol
 
I wanna do what they say to do but I don't think I'm doing anything to improve my condition. I just feel the draining my bank acct. Lol. I got mad cause no-one, not the therapist office nor my insurance co. can tell me what these darn pt sessions are costing ME.

THANKS @Want2hike . I will try to get my focus corrected. Its my nature to worry too.

(My company has no pension. Only what I save at 401k.) It's pretty much a dead end job with an acceptable wage finally. And free health coverage. I make over $19 an hour and free insurance with 600 deductible and total out of pocket $2000 per year. Not too bad for what I actually have to do. (A very doable and desirable job for anyone who knows what most trucking jobs demand but no less UNDOABLE by me in my condition.

Thanks again and to you all.

Please keep posting. I need all the help and advise I can get.
Even if it comes in the form of harsh and firmness. I'm proud but not to proud to get it direct if its necessary. :)
 
As a dedicated and practised worrier I know that being told not to is impossible. Planning really helps. Clear focus on the situation helps to get a handle on things. Writing options and highlighting the pros and cons of various options can really show the way ahead. It can help to calm the worries in the dead of night. This way you can feel in control.
 
It's very normal at 2 months to be unhappy with a TKR, let alone a BTKR. You've had two months of feeling awful and see no end in sight. I returned to teaching first grade part time at 12 weeks. It was right around then that I began to think TKR wasn't such a bad idea.

Would your employer consider a phased return? Half days or a few days a week at first? Also, don't try to walk unaided right now, it'll put more pressure on your knees and encourage a bad gait. As someone said above, new shoes are a must otherwise you're walking in shoes that have your old gait pattern worn into them.
 
@Spex10.
Thanks a million.
Yes. I will do that. Actually I feel a ton better now.
You know what? I am gonna weigh out all this and right it down.
As much as that job does pay pretty good. Tons of overtime and all but it comes with a high price.
I'm going to get on with living and just take it as it goes.
I've said it my whole life. When one door closes another opens.
Heck. Maybe the worst thing to happen is I have to go back to that place haha.
They work ya like dogs. I'm pretty sick of that too
Will keep everyone posted on what is up. Thanks all
DONT STOP POSTING. I LOVE THE IDEAS SHARED ON THIS FORUM. AMEN
 
Look at each day instead of something that is a month away. Also, try and lose some weight. That will help your knees and your depression. I know. I've gained 17 pounds since shortly after my surgery and feel like a failure. But, weight is something everybody can control. But, not your knees. They are in control right now. You will have a lot of improvement in the next month, especially without doing pt. You are saving your knees and your money by not going. And you don't have to tell your doctor. I didn't and he never asked. They are your knees and you have the say so over them.
 
My husband thought losing his job was the end of the world but it truly was the best thing that could have happened. It made him focus on what had to be done and what he liked doing. End result his own business based on his favourite sport so it doesn't even feel like work and he's his own boss.
That process wasn't easy. It had to be worked through but it was worth it. Good luck. As a plus the worry of it all led to terrific weight loss!!
 
@KarriB yeah. Thanks if it gets to that point. I will ask if I can come back at phased return. Its never been done to my knowledge but who cares. The way we cover vacancies is, each shift has to stay over 4 hrs to cover the spot since we're a 3 shift operation.
And yes. I've considered the new shoe idea and I'd jump on it if I hadn't replaced mine just before surgery.
I only wear sketchers sport with memory foam. I love em.
Theyre new so I think I'm good there.
;-)
 
Some things to remember:
1. You're only 7 weeks out yet which is slap bang in the middle of what I tend to call the "angry tissue" phase.
2. Also prime time for Post op blues
I cancelled any more PT through the next 2 weeks
3. You will need far more than 2 weeks to undo what the PT has thus far done to you. Don't be scared of it. Eventually you will find it reaps more benefits than you can expect.
I hurt my right elbow somehow
Any idea why this is? Are you using a cane or a crutch?
 
Hey @Josephine so you think that I may need more than the 12 weeks to get back to a level needed to do my very physically demanding job? If so, I'm prepared for that and will take what comes!!

Yeah, I use a cane but I developed this aching elbow somehow compensating for another weak part of myself, not sure. All I know is it hurts like the dickens depending on what I do.

PT: I had to tell them something so I just did that. Before the 6th of Feb I can call and tell them I don't want any more at all if that's what I should definitely do
 
You don't have to call them at all. And if they call you, can tell them you don't need them at this time. That if in the future you do, you'll call them. They'll gladly take you at any time.
 
@sistersinhim
This place has it in the initial p/w that a no show or cancel within 2 hrs of appt is $50 charge, $25 if not cancelled with in 24hrs, so I did it to keep from getting charged. Although they called me one day and cancelled my appt for that morning because the PT was out sick, so I had no issue rescheduling for a different day. Maybe I should remind them that I require a 24 hr notice or they owe me 25 bucks, lol

I did one time call and cancel because I was sick and too sore and they gave me a one time courtesy because I had not done that before and because I agreed to see them the following day so they weren't out the $$ from my cancellation. I don't think its right to not call them AT ALL, lol

I wouldn't really appreciate that but If I dont need it and its causing me more harm than good, I agree, I'm done for awhile, maybe forever, lol. I'm just nervous that if I go back for my 12 week recheck and the doctor acts like I should be all good to go as he did at 6 weeks (they were ready to return me to work till I slowed em down a little).

If I'm not ready and he wonders why, I say I can't function yet (staircases, ladders, long distance, unlimited walking, ect) I don't want them to ask me are you going to PT?? and I say no, they blame me for not being farther advanced because I was not following their order, I know, worry wort, but I can see this happening.

i agree with who ever said, it's my decision to do PT or not, they are my legs and my decision but I DO need the Dr to give me more time off should I need it. They'd better not refuse me because I'm not greasing the palms of the PT when what I really need is time to heal, haha,

Tell ya what, I'm going in there with my cane and or walker and tell them the way it is, I'm not on comp, I'm on medical leave for double amputation, LOL, I mean double TKR..., they shouldn't be pushing people back to work just because they think times UP, lol...

I will probably go back at least once before my appt with the OS so the PT guy has something to report, is that wise anyone?
 
Do you have a standing appointment? If not, just don't make any new appointments.
 
Oh heck, they scheduled me out when I 1st went to see them in mid Dec immediately after surgery and rehab hospital. They had me scheduled 3 a week from Mid December all the way through end of February, lol

I did the 3 a week through Dec and 1st week of Jan, then I told them to drop it back to 2 a week, then after my last appt on 1/19, I called em on Friday 1/20 and cancelled the Monday 1/23 and on through the next 2 weeks, the next one scheduled is 2/06/16, I was advised that if I was gonna cancel any of them to do so with ample notice to avoid being charged. Then they called me back and said that the owner thought it necessary to see me at least once per week so I could be documented or whatever, I said I may, but don't count on it, I think I'm going out of town, lol
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom