Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

I believe @lennie is an EMT, which means in and out of a high vehicle, climbing stairs and lifting patients. You'll be amazed by how you'll feel at 12 weeks. Try not to worry too much because you will make progress.
 
@hope4clay You will notice I merged your new thread into your recovery thread. As we asked previously, can you please keep all your questions and updates on your recovery thread. This gives us access to your full history so that we can advise you if needed. Thanks!
 
No problem - BTW we have many members who returned to very active jobs post op. My colleague @referee54 had BTKR and his climbing up on equipment helping on a farm these days. We have police, fire fighters, plumbers, roofers - lots of examples of active people who went back to work. It's still early days for you so please don't think how you feel now is necessarily how you will feel in a few short weeks.

Are you taking any medication right now - for pain or any other issues? Ringing in the ears can be a side effect of meds. But if it continues I would speak to your family doctor.
 
,
Much thanks again, Jaycey.
Meds yes, Percocet every 6 hours as needed, ..muscle relaxer /every 8

Can you instruct me on how to reply to the last entry?
I'm not seeing a reply button, thanks
 
Anytime you want to reply just type in the box at the bottom of the thread. If you want to reply to a particular person, tag them by putting @ in front of their name without a space. Like this... @hope4clay
 
Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic information on Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/dxc-20180362 It can explain some other causes. As the article says, you may want to see an ear/nose/throat Dr. if it doesn't stop by itself. I worked construction and have a constant squeal in my ears that is somewhat helped with hearing aids. And my wife will testify that I can tune out most anything.
 
Sounds like tinnitus. You may want to have that investigated.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ibuprofen, aspirin, blood pressure meds and some anti-depressants can cause tinnitus. Check your meds to see if you're on anything that may be causing it.
 
Re: obesity

I am in that category and was concerned because obesity can be the cause of more side effects. My OS cheerfully said "Lighter is better". There was zero discussion or discrimination or complications.

As a nurse who saw numerous knee replacements as a home health nurse, I'd say half were obese or overweight. Maybe more. No problems. I'm guessing your legs are pretty strong related to your occupation and also from carrying the extra weight. This weakness you are feeling is so normal and yet a little scary to feel like a newborn kitten!

Post often. I'll be looking forward to watching your recovery. People who do bilaterals are fascinating to me and very courageous!!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi group!
I'm just clicking in and reporting that I'm 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and I am s l o w , b a b y s t e p s, walking around the house, nothing crazy, but I haven't used my walker or cane today, ...Seriously talking baby steps here, but I am walking little steps, nothing too fast, it's sore to do so, but I am hopeful. I can't imagine that it will go from this to being able to walk normally, go out the door and down 5 steps, across a lot and climb into my semi truck in and out 6 times in the next 15 minutes, and do that whole operation 6 or so times in my work day, but I am hopeful, hope all of you are well.
 
In time you'll be able to do your job, Clay. It's hard to imagine that now though.
 
You'll be making a lot of progress in the next several weeks, though it may be hard to see now.
Are you usually using a cane or walker except for your experiment today? My doc and PT said there was not a rush to get off the cane. Using one doesn't slow your recovery, it just gives you stability. It also can help keep you from learning a (new) bad gait, I think.
 
Try to remember, Clay, that where you are now is not where you will be when it's time to go back to work.
right now, you're still a "work in progress", not a "finished product."

You will continue to improve and will keep on improving for up to a year after your surgery.
 
@hope4clay

Hello,
I have had both of my knees replaced, but not at the same time. I am obese and I don't feel as though that has made my recovery any more difficult than anyone else's. I do find that I'm moving slower with the second one because they both are new now, as opposed to just one. I have been using crutches for the last 6 weeks and have just transitioned to a cane in my house. I will still use crutches when I leave the house though. It will just take time.

Good luck in your recovery journey!
Jen
 
I'm so thankful for this site!! What a blessing it is. Thanks to everyone who coach, contribute, and help those who are anxious, concerned, or just flat in the dark and need help. I am going to help others as I progress and pay it back. TGiF everyone.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom