MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

Positivity is a huge step in this recovery even a bad painful yucky day gets better if you can look at it in a positive way.
One of the reasons I have healed fairly quickly is that on the whole I'm extremely positive and instead of thinking what I can't do I concentrate on all the new things I can do :-)
Plus I was lucky to find good people on this forum whom have helpedmy recovery enormously.
We arrived safely yesterday- as weather was so bad we didn't stop my knee behaved really well ( I was the passenger ) it was a bit wingey during the night but only to be expected as our house was freezing cold and beds felt slightly damp but today much better as it is finally warm up and well aired.
So follow my advice stay positive if I can do it - you can too x
 
I feel fortunate that I can stay positive.

I called my PT and told her I was struggling and asked if she thought a walk would help and she said just rest. Do some gentle work to fight stiffness, but rest. She seems really good.

Hoping for a better day tomorrow. Knowing better days are on their way.
 
It’s a bit early to try for walking a mile. Don’t rush your recovery.

When you are resting don’t think of it as doing nothing, think of it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. :console2:
 
Sending positive hope your way! Yes, sounds like you are just having an "off" day. I know I do not need to re-state this 'cause you ARE so positive but please try not to get discouraged. You ARE making progress. You are doing great.

YIKEEEEES! As an aside, a 1 mile walk? I did 0.25 miles on the treadmill at PT yesterday...treadmill @ a slight incline, I might add :rotfl: and I felt like I was going to have a heart-attack!

Hang in there.
 
Slow, slow 1 mile walk was was my plan, but I rested instead. Walking feels good, and I’m accustomed to doing so much more. My next walk is tomorrow. I’ll probably cut it back to half mile again, but :bawl:.
 
@sistersinhim I keep posting my positive experience with ibuprofen, which I am taking with my doctor’s permission. I include the warning about asking your doctor. But occasionally you or others have warned against it. Should I stop posting my experience?

I want to be helpful, but I worry that I might not be taking enough care when I talk about my experience with ibuprofen.
 
I also took ibuprofen, with my doctor’s blessing, and it was very helpful for me. I mostly took it for all the arthritis I have in other parts of my body. I was really thankful that my doctor did not believe in stopping it before surgery, he just said don’t take it the day of surgery.

After my surgery I alternated ibuprofen and Tylenol. I took each one every 6 hours, but alternated them, so I was taking one or the other every 3 hours. This was helpful because I stopped my prescription pain medication on day 11 because I had unresolved blurry vision and my doctor thought the medication was causing it.

I do understand the risks of ibuprofen, but at the moment it is beneficial to me. I have reduced the amount I take, but I still take it every day. I do eat something when I take it.

There is nothing wrong with saying what works for us, especially if we don’t recommend that someone else do the same thing. Personally, I don’t often post about the ibuprofen that I take, out of respect for the warnings that Bonesmart gives about it. But I also don’t stay totally silent about it.

I do know that Josephine, our Nurse Director, is extremely opposed to NSAIDS, as she has been in the operating room with patients who had bad bleeds from them, so she has seen what they can do to a body. I don’t know what the percentages are of that possibility.
 
@Jockette My experience with the ibuprofen has been good, but I’ll take care to lead with ‘check with your doctor’ and close with that warning too. Also including ‘not on an empty stomach.’

We all know that every recovery is defined by individual circumstances, physical make-ups, insurance provisions, and health care providers. So, I guess I’ll continue to share my experience, knowing others will share theirs, and that the people with expertise will chime in, too.
 
@Helizabug, please keep posting about your experience, and that includes taking Ibuprofen! I felt I needed to mention my warning to those new people that have no idea that, for some people like me!, that it can be bad for them. I recently found out that I have several ulcers that have more than likely come from the NSAIDS that I've been taking for years.

So, please keep posting your wonderful posts about your journey. You are always uplifting and helpful to others on here that are struggling and you celebrate with their successes, too! Keep on keeping on!

I apologize if you thought I was picking on you. I certainly didn't mean it that way!
 
@sistersinhim I didn’t think you were picking on me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making things difficult by sharing my anecdotal, sample-size-of-one findings.

I really get the feeling that BoneSmart is about giving a broad perspective so that people can find themselves in there somehow. so Thanks!
 
Well, I did my long walk today, and it felt good. Exhausting, left me a little stiff, later, but uplifting. It’s going to be hard to balance the different effects of activity and find that sweet spot that is just the right amount of activity on any given day, but I expect I’ll enjoy the process of puzzling it out over time.
 
I started my longer walks around 5 weeks...adding a bit more each day.....with no repercussions. I had been doing 3/4 of a 5-mile walk over the 4 days of Thanksgiving weekend, so two weekends ago I was sure I could handle the full walk.

I probably would have been fine if I just stuck to the walking, instead I was feeling so good (I have to be forthright here!) That 5-mile day also included 2 hours of cleaning a car and a Costco run!! I do think the other activity threw me past a tipping point!

Baby knee is just now settling down...I thought I went back to week 2 post op!!! My PT only did massage, said no walking for 2 weeks, but did allow me to ride the recumbent bike for15 minutes each day! My point being....be careful, it is hard to gauge that you are overdoing it when you're in the moment.

I also have great luck with ibuprofen, so she also recommended that for the flare up. Since it is improving now she didn't think it was tendinitis issue, but said I have to really watch how much I do.

Good luck with your improving recovery and enjoy, but watch for overdoing.

Enjoy your upcoming Holidays!
 
Helizabug, my OS actually prescribed Motrin for after surgery, along with Tylenol. I had to stop the naproxen I’ve taken for years a week before surgery, but at my 2 week appointment this week he gave me the OK to restart it and ditch the Motrin and Tylenol. I was able to stop the oxycodone once I got back on Naproxen.

Ouch, Macknit. Costco just by itself would do me in, let alone a walk on top of that. Be nice to yourself.
 
Yeah, I keep thinking a Costco trip would be a good idea for the household right now, but that seems like something out of Dante’s Inferno, just now. And no one else in my family has the heart for it. Exhausting on every front. We’ll be fine with the local grocery stores for now.

Thanks for all the feedback about Ibuprofen. It’s not a black-and-white choice for everyone, but it sure has been a good one for me so far.
 
Ugh. Long walk on Friday did me in. Very stiff yesterday. So frustrating.

So frustrating.

sad.
 
I'm sorry :oyvey:my PT described this time as a guessing game....you do great with a few activities and then it can take just one to cause that tipping point!

And it is so frustrating...I was in tears with my PT... not due to her, but due to the frustration! We can only breathe deeply and focus on healing from each setback.

I'm sending wishes and positive healing thoughts your way!:console2:
 
@Macknit your post came just in time. I’m so frustrated with the feeling that I have a potato stuffed into my knee where the joint should be. How long do I need to rest to ease this up?! Argh.

Okay. Got that out. Onward and upward . . . a little more gently, I guess.
 
A potato is a great description of what it feels like, Helizabug. I’ve just been living with the tightness and trying to get my walks in anyway - I do usually find I have more flexibility after than before a walk.
 
Yes! a perfect description! Mine leans toward a potato with little spikes that move around!! :oyvey:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom