MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

A week or so ago, I sent a message to one of the moderators or administrators or someone like that. I wanted her to know how impressed I was with how she and so many others patiently and kindly helped everybody, no matter how complex, frustrated, or confusing a poster was.

She responded very kindly, and she also reminded me of the DONATE option at the top of our beloved BoneSmart screens. So, I donated for a second time.

And I decided I, too, would remind people, occasionally, of the opportunity to donate to this amazing site, if you can.

For me, BoneSmart has been a much larger part of my recovery than I could have guessed, so I’d like to help sustain it.
 
Can’t speak to the pillows, but @luvcats has one she describes in her thread; I went with the addition of an adjustable bed frame which replaced the pillows.
My first knee was super sensitive; second, not as, but it wasn’t as bad either, and I knew what was coming. Each is unique, I think.
 
@marieltha I almost bought the cool cushion, and I’m sure it’s great, but I’ve found it helpful to be able to shift the pillows around and change my posture, and the angle of elevation and the pressure points. So, I’m happy with a stack of pillows.

Which is weird because I usually love the cool stuff like a special pillow.
 
A week or so ago, I sent a message to one of the moderators or administrators or someone like that. I wanted her to know how impressed I was with how she and so many others patiently and kindly helped everybody, no matter how complex, frustrated, or confusing a poster was.

She responded very kindly, and she also reminded me of the DONATE option at the top of our beloved BoneSmart screens. So, I donated for a second time.

And I decided I, too, would remind people, occasionally, of the opportunity to donate to this amazing site, if you can.

For me, BoneSmart has been a much larger part of my recovery than I could have guessed, so I’d like to help sustain it.
@Helizabug.....your kind words and actions are the best Christmas gift we here at BoneSmart could ever receive. Thank you so much for your heartfelt reminder to all that we do need donations to keep BoneSmart up and running for everyone out there who needs us. I hope you remain an active member here for a very long time! ((((HUGS)))) to you!
:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
At what point did people stop using compression wraps?

I’m not even 3 weeks out yet, and I’ve shifted from a full leg wrap to something that just covers top of shin to bottom of thigh. I can’t imagine spending much time unwrapped, but I was wondering if folks weeks and months ahead of me remember shifting from compression most of the time to occasionally to rarely.
 
In any of my surgeries, I never used a compression wrap. I couldn't imagine anything that tight around my knee! We're each different, for sure.
 
@sistersinhim I didn’t mean those Ted hose. I took those off and promptly lost them, accidentally on purpose.

I mean the Ace bandage sort of wrap. Maybe you knew that, but, just in case, I wanted to clarify.
 
Same here, once my surgeon said I could take off those stockings, at about 10 days post op, I never wanted anything tight on that leg again.
 
I mean the Ace bandage sort of wrap. Maybe you knew that, but, just in case, I wanted to clarify.
Similar category, in my personal opinion. I didn’t want to wear anything like that and I didn’t.
 
I want to share some exercises I’ve been doing that aren’t specifically for my knees, rather for my whole body. It’s the warm up from a Tai Chi class I take and it has given me some mobility and proprioceptive work that I think has been really healing. Is that okay to do here?
 
@Jockette so you were able to control your swelling without compression? That makes me feel better about unwrapping for a few hours at a time. I will talk with my PT today, but I really trust the folks on this forum for offering real experiences.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
I had an ace bandage type wrap when I left the hospital. The home PT took it off the next day, and I’ve not used any sort of compression since.
 
I didn’t overly worry about the swelling. I accepted it as par for the course. I tried not to make it worse by overdoing.

To be honest I didn’t even think about any type of wrap.

I’ve since read about many members who do use compression at later stages, to maintain swelling, and personally it makes me cringe, to think of something snug on a swollen leg.:yikes: But that’s just me.
 
This all so interesting. My ace bandage is like a security blanket for me. It’s not super tight because I control the tightness. And it’s soft on my skin.

I feel uneasy, thinking about leaving it off, but I want to spend sometime with the air and other textures on my skin; so, it looks like I can do that based on the variety of experiences.

I’ll see if there a few other responses.
 
I controlled my swelling with ice and elevation. Never had a wrap.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suz
I want to share some exercises I’ve been doing that aren’t specifically for my knees, rather for my whole body. It’s the warm up from a Tai Chi class I take and it has given me some mobility and proprioceptive work that I think has been really healing. Is that okay to do here?
Since BoneSmart membership includes people with many different joint issues and joint replacement recoveries, some of the exercises that might help you personally might not be right for other members. Indeed many of our members have restrictions both pre and post op and your warm up may violate those restrictions so probably best not to post that content here. Thanks so much for checking with us first!

Please do continue to post about what is helping you in your TKR recovery.
 
My first one I had an ace bandage, which I hated. But they only had me wear it like a week or so, then they put on a mesh wrap thing over a smaller bandage. This time I have a weird bandage that I change at one week, nothing else. It’s kinda flexy and rubbery feeling.
 
I had the ace wrap until the nurse changed the dressing and took out the drain on my second day. She put a waterproof adhesive Then I left the hospital with little knee high hose, for blood clot prevention. Those also disappeared immediately.

My PA had recommended a thigh high compression stockings for both legs, I found black ones that I wore with comfy long shorts, and I really liked them at first! Like you say....a security blanket.

Then around 3 weeks I couldn't stand them:groan:! So off they went. The PA really believed they were best for blood clots. Not sure, however, I didn't have blood clots!
 
Ugh. Today is a drag. I was looking forward to a long walk (aiming for a mile, slow and steady), but my knee is pretty angry. IT band, I think, is really aggravated, and I think I’ve grievously offended the soft tissue of my joint.

I’m mostly okay when I’m resting, but I wish there was something therapeutic AND assertive I could do. I am happier when I can bring my strength to bear on this process, but, today, that doesn’t seem to be an option.

Still feeling better than three weeks ago.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom