Guest viewing is limited

THR Done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing fine for so early out of surgery @NoraJ . You are right - don't push. I will only set you back in the recovery. Go back and read the articles Poppet left you about the stages of this process. Early days for you. Just remember - this is a very short space of time for a lifetime without hip pain! Hang in there!
 
Hi @NoraJ . You're about 8-9 days post-op, aren't you? My ankle swelled up at about the same time. I think it was when I started to be up on my feet for longer. I found that I reduced swelling - and then avoided it - if I went for a lie-down and elevated my legs in the afternoon. Also, ice helps.

It is hard not to be able to do things for yourself, but I reckon that if you don't fight it and really make the most of rest in the first few weeks, it's good for you in the long-run. :)
 
Even though you miss it, it's good you're not able to do those little household things you enjoy so much just yet. It's important now to focus on rest, rest, rest! Your body will thank you as your system recovers from the initial shock of the surgery.

My foot, ankle and calf swelled at just about the same day post-op as yours. The only thing that helped was elevating - so try this. When you're in bed on your back, place a pillow under your knee (position it a little closer up towards your thigh, I found it uncomfortable right in the bend of my knee - felt like it might interfere with circulation) and then stack two or three pillows under your foot. It might help to "layer" a few pillows from knee to foot so that the incline increases gradually along your calf, if you need a little extra support. You'll probably need someone to arrange them so you're not bending/twisting/reaching, but use as many as necessary in whatever configuration makes you comfy - key is foot higher that knee. This helped me with the lower back strain of sleeping on my back - as well as a pulling sensation I had in my groin, and it also alleviated the swelling in my ankle/foot within a day or so. I'm 4 weeks post-op and still sleep with my foot elevated a bit, and keep it on top of a pillow on the footrest when sitting in my recliner as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @mons4tne and @FionaW... I'm still struggling with doing nothing but relax. It just doesn't come naturally to me. I will try harder though!
When I woke at 5am I managed to move the pillows about and support my knee which was sore from elevating the leg. It was down this morning but up again today so back resting in bed to elevate it again. Otherwise I'm doing well bar the emotional baggage of feeling a burden and a bit useless at the moment. I do try to think positively but it doesn't help knowing I'll be doing all over again in the next couple of years (if I can strech it out that long)...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Just remember this: hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@NoraJ , I felt a burden too. I also felt like a bad mum, because I'm a single parent, so when my friend went home after two weeks (she'd been staying to look after me), not only could I not 'look after' my two boys, but I actually needed them to look after me a bit! They're both teenagers, so perfectly capable, but I still felt guilty. I think we're hard-wired for guilt when we're incapacitated! :umm:Also remember the 'post-op blues' will hit you at some point - maybe they have already. I crashed very low at about 3 weeks, and I'm still a bit up-and-down at 5 1/2 weeks. It's all part of the process. I think feeling miserable is sometimes our bodies' way of forcing us to do nothing! It'll pass. :) Have you seen the sea yet? :)
 
Thanks @FionaW. ... I can see the window from my bedroom up stairs. In the south west of Ireland so beautiful mountains and the sea are my daily view. Still a bit up and down. Today I felt a bit low and achy. Not in pain per sw but getting my mum (retired nurse) to take out staples tomorrow and that may help. I am not sleeping with legs elevated tonight in the hope I will sleep normally. The backs of my knees were more painful than my hip!

I have only myself to think of so I can only imagine the added stress of keeping the family going too... my family have been great but feeling a little alone but that's life!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Sounds like you have a wonderful view from your bedroom @NoraJ - keep that lovely view and all the activities you will be able to undertake when you have a few more weeks recovery. You will feel better getting the staples out - I know I did :)
 
Thanks @Poppet I do have a lovely view when you can see it! Yesterday it rained pretty much all day. Not unexpected in this part of the world but a bit of sunshine lifts the spirits. I had my staples out and dressing changed yesterday and the incision is healing well but it's very long... longer than I expected. I knew I could have a minimally invasive surgery but I didn't think it would be soo long.... but it has eased the pressure on the incision and allowed for more movement.

Prior to finding out I had hip issues I had lost a lot of weight (80lbs) and was delighted... started exercising ect and bam couldn't move properly without pain 6 months later diagnoses and then the pain kicked in ( in day to day life) as what i could do physically was so limited. I went swimming and cycling a bit but lost my mo jo somewhere between the hip and other things in life.... I put on weight again about 30 lbs in a year and a half and now feel huge coupled with not being able to move I feel very heavy and bloated.... is this any way normal. I just want to feel strong and healthy again (I have hip 2 to think about but at least can choose when to have that done). It's the high and lows of the hip post op but hopefully today will be a good day....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @NoraJ :). I'm sorry you're having a rough time emotionally right now. Please understand that you are not alone. Yesterday was the first day since arriving home a week and a half ago that I have not cried. Trying to adapt to your new reality that changes evert day is very challenging. add to that the disrupted sleep (its 4:43 am here right now & I cant sleep), the powerful drugs they put you on and the loss of independence its no wonder we get weepy! I also get the whole gaining weight after just loosing it. The same happened to me, as my mobility dropped my weight went up. now that i am starting to feel a bit better i am starting to be able to envision what I'm going to be able to start doing when I'm healed & I'm trying to focus on those thoughts more now. We'll get through it together - our healing path & timeline seem to be very similar. take care & I hope today is a positive day with a little sunshine thrown in there for you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My last two days have been tough... the tiredness hit me like nothing I've felt before... is that normal? It wiped me out and then having had to nap on the sofa I then couldn't sleep till late in the night. Have oreety much spent the whole day lying down and i hoping my body will feel more my own tomorrow. The pain isn't bad more stiffness and some pulling around the incision and groin... I'm hoping that will ease with the exercises. ...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @NoraJ :). I too seem to all of a sudden have day like you're describing where I'm just exhausted. I'm no expert but would guess its just your body taking what it needs to heal. The article they have in the library about energy drain likens our body's injury from THR to a new baby nursing from a mother (which takes an incredible amount of energy and nutrients from the mother and can be exhausting in the begining). So when you think of it that way it's understandable why we are so tired at times. Another way to look at it, my father in law has had a THR on both hips and was told by his PT that each day you start the day with a new bucket of energy that is limited. once you use it up you are drained for the day & it won't refill until the next day, so you have to remember that as you plan your activities for the day. I'm sure you are doing great and if you look at how much better it is now than the first week you were home, you will want to give yourself a pat on the back for how far you've come :)


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Day 21 today and doing much better. Pain wise I'm good. Stiff in the morning and wishing I could sleep better at night. Once I move about a bit I loosen up. I met up with a friend for coffee in the morning and another for dinner which was a welcome break for me and my mother. My mom is refusing to let me home unaccompanied for another couple of weeks! I am back to being a child again! But I guess having read other posts I am very fortunate to have the support. But I am starting to walk a bit with one crutch which is so much easier although I'm still wary when out and about. I had read the articles @Sharri on the energy drain but really hadn't appreciated the full impact it would have on me or how the post op blues would affect me. Whilst I can go to shops or for coffee and walk a bit I have to rest afterward. My great plan of building my walking up is on hold as three walks wore me out. Now I am taking it more gingerly!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Day 28: feeling much better and down to one crutch. I couldn't manage without it and when out in ''public" I take 2 crutches as people more cautious... but iI have reached saturation point of people saying "you are so young to have a hip done". Thankfully I just need to take the odd paracetamol for pain if required but generally it isn't. A few odd days I have been extremely tired and I'm still not sleeping great but it's a bit easier now. A friend visited this evening and we'd a great chat over a glass of wine or 2 and that was great. I'm off on a hotel break this weekend yippee! A chance of scenery and I get back to my own house for a night alone. .. I miss my space, my things so much.... Two weeks to go until I can drive and I am counting! I'm lucky to have a very supportive employer and have good paid sick leave to be able to recover over a few months. When I read of people going back to work after two or four weeks I am in awe of them. There is no way I would be able to manage the demands of my job full time and heal.....

I would agree with others that there is a turning point between week three and four
Emotionally I'm a but all over but on @Poppets advice I went to the health food shop and bought magnesium today and hopefully that will help balance me a bit!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
So glad to hear the update Nora. Enjoy your break/getaway!!!!

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@NoraJ Sounds like you are doing great! Congrats!

I had to reply to your comment about your age. I get that too. It really drives me crazy. I can't imagine how people don't realize it doesn't make me feel any better about the situation to say, "You're SO young!"
 
Hi @younghippie... its exactly that I hate that on one level I feel my body has let me down...I was not dancing for joy finding out I would need both hips replaced. Despite knowing I would've probably said it myself to someone else. But I am hoping it will give me a new lease on life and fingers crossed I won't need the left one replaced too soo...
 
My update at 6 was and 2 days post op... This past week has been really good. I feel so much more able bodied. I bought a pedometer with a view to slowly increasing my walking and I think doing has helped. The road I live on is busy with no footpath so I am slow to walk there. I am down to one crutch outside in public and none at home unless I'm tired. I also went up the stairs properly without realising it the other day. But my knees are creaking I know I've arthritis there too prob due to me hips.... I don't have a limp exactly more of a waddle.... I don't know if that's muscular or due to leg length discrepancies. ... I see my OS at 8 weeks (24th July) and we can have that discussion. Otherwise less blue days and the tiredness has eased... little or no pain other than an occasional ache and I take paracetamol if needed. I stop my anti inflammatory tomorrow. I'm getting back to driving today and I can't wait... I can drive to a local river for nice save walks and to the shops ect. My independence back!
 
@NoraJ Sounds like you are doing great! Enjoy the driving and getting your independence back! :)
 
I am right there with you about the young comments. It does get awfully tiring. I hate going out with my walker because I get sick of all the odd looks I get. It sounds like you're healing well! Hope your recovery continues to be smooth!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom