Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy...that is exactly what I have been experiencing with the limp. Stay strong..it does work itself out. My limp is getting better everyday. My husband is amazed. Now if I sit for too long, I am back being stiff and limping.
You are doing great! I am so glad that you are sleeping better. I actually slept on the operated side for a while last night...that is my preferred side.
 
Hi @AndyH99 Sleeping sounds good! I had months of not sleeping properly then suddenly it happened. I now have been sleeping ok for several weeks. I know what you mean - after not sleeping, even 12 - 5.30 is a good night. Glad you have 4 more weeks off work and I hope you have many more LOL!
 
Good day one and all,

Things are moving along slowly here, some small steps and the odd experiment as per usual.

The hip wiggle come THR twerk is actually working very nicely. I've noted that with focused tensing that I can now correct my balancing on my right foot and pull everything into line, soon it will become normal and the problem will start to go away. Fingers crossed.

On the pain killer front, over the last week I cut my tramadol intake in half to see how things would react. That went mostly ok with only a couple of adjustments needed. However, given it went well I've experimented today with no pain killers given I had better support at home just in case. Sadly it didn't go too well, 20 hours total of no pain killers and I've stopped the experiment & dosed back up. I think I'll leave it another few weeks till I try that again.

Assuming all is well I'm planning on going to the gym for the first time tomorrow and trying out the recumbent bike and maybe a couple of lightweight upper body exercise, followed by a long snooze and some gratuitous calories

Hope everyone is doing ok and you all have a great recovery day

Ps - remember, I only experiment on me as no one else is daft enough to let me do it to them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , I tried dropping meds too about the same weeks in as you, I didn't last as long as you did before going back on them.

I take Co Codamol still, but take that for back and the thigh ache , so it covers a multitude of aches and pains...gives me a headache though. Now I only need to take tramadol if it really hurts. I need to test the driving long distances to see what happens though.

Be good in the gym and don't hurt your muscles, its a real shame you cant even get any one daft enough to test them for you first. :snork: hope it goes well though and you enjoy yourself x
 
Good day one and all,

Well that didn't go to plan, I didn't make it to the gym but we've just had a lovely nando's so all good; maybe tomorrow.

Just curious, has there been a consensus on what was the best couple of chair pads for office chairs yet? I'm looking to get a couple now and sadly I can't just cut up our mattress

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @AndyH99! So happy to hear your return to work has been extended. What a relief that must have been for you. Cushions...I have just been using a couple of pillows (not overly firm or fluffy) on the chairs I use at home. I just adjust them to what is most comfortable for my bum and back. On another note, I found that if I stand at my bar-heighth counter and stand on my tip toes a few times, that helps me learning how to plant my foot when walking. Sounds strange, I know, but it works for me. Glad to hear you are improving each day, even with the minor setbacks. It will get better, I promise. All you bilateral smarties just amaze me. It takes a lot of courage to have both done at the same time. I wish you nothing but the best Andy. Have a great day!
 
@Nana757 There must be a BS psychic network operating, I've been doing my single leg balancing on my toes as a secondary exercise. It helps not only with my stabilisation but as you state it works well for the hip alignment, my only worry is that what with the THR twerk and this toe balancing I might get urges for a tutu and pink leotards, that is kind of worrying, I may have a challenge sleeping tonight (again).

Now back in the real world where there aren't any 16st ex power lifter ballet dancers, I think I'm going to borrow a couple of wheelchair cushions to try them out for the home office, I did try the cushion from the sofa but it didn't quite hit the mark.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well now...I just got a visual of you in a tutu and pink leotards...it was quite the comical image. If the urge gets the best of you, you must post a photo. I think everyone could use a good laugh!
On another note, when I was at PT the other day, they had this square cushion they put in a chair for me. And I have to say, it was not only very comfortable, but felt perfect.
 
Thanks for the chuckle @ Nana757 and @ AndyH99!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi and @Nana757 you too are glamorous! !
@AndyH99 so far I have tried a coccyx ortho cushion which has a moulded bottom shape, cost 21 off amazon, sent it back as it was about 6 mm thick after sitting on it for 5 mins.

now am testing a medipak wedge, which doesnt suit my car but am testing it in office and I have just bought a medipak super duper get your money back if it's rubbish shaped cushion, so am going to be testing that one too. That was 16 quids and seems better that the ortho one.

Will feed aback ASAP xx
 
@AndyH99 One thing I noticed after my surgery was that my center of gravity had shifted. After several years of limping that center had shifted. So I had to find the new center - and when I did all the balancing exercises my PT ladies were having me do became much much easier .... in fact when I had my last visit with them they were very impressed with the length of time I could balance on one foot, on tip toes, etc.
 
Andy-- you are too funny! My mom had a THR a few years back and little did I know that I would be following so soon after! She had a nice wheelchair cushion, one side had that firm surface and she loved it. It gave her a wee bit more height which helped in getting out of regular chairs, too.
For her car she found a very thin chair pad was best. It helped take the curve out of the car seat.
BTW a twerking ballerina weight lifter sounds------ adorable. Throw in a tutu and it becomes even better.. you may have a new career!
@Nana757 look at you! You are very pretty! I enjoy seeing faces to the screen names.
 
I cut a square out of my old memory foam mattress topper for my office chair. It works and I take ice packs in to numb it when it needs it. In the car, I like ice... Just numb it since I can't find a cushion that works. Thank u for that lovely crutch song! Catching up on folks and that was a good one :)


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
I bought one of those rotating (it's like a turntable)cushions for my auto. It has been a lifesaver and makes it so much easier getting in and out. I would suspect that it may work on an office chair as well since it is very firm but comfortable and is about 2" thick.
Nice to hear from you @Tweefishy ... Hope you are doing well.
 
Good day one and all,

It's been a pretty steady few days for me recently, no major leaps forward but some nice small progression steps.

I've managed to progress to walking around indoors without a cane most of the time now, I'm even managing the stairs ok. The rain has kept me in for a few days but all being well I can try my newfound progress outside soon.

The THR one legged twerk exercise is still paying dividends and my right leg alignment is slowly shifting back to where it needs to be.

Big,big news is that I can get my socks on without any sock sliding implements and - woohooo - I did my first set of laces up in nigh on 8 months. darn that feels good.

Another good step is that I'm starting to get my mental focus back again, so all my work and hobby technical stuff is becoming slowly more viable.

The only down side is my sleep patterns are all shot to pieces again, so I'm back to talking to the fairies at odd times during the night and doing occasional grumpy bear impressions in the day time.

Fingers crossed if I manage to actually get to the gym and start on some techie stuff then just maybe I'll knock myself out enough to sleep at night.

Good luck and have a great recovery day



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like a plan Andy nice one on the socks I still haven't got to that stage yet but then again I only wear socks for work.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom