Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day one and all,

Nervous today as its my GP appointment about my return to work date, hopefully it will be a painless exercise. No idea what to do if they sign me off as fit!

Experiment time again seeing as yesterday was an active day. I tried out the lightest resistance band in my set to enhance the basic PT exercises plus a few upper body static exercises with a kettlebell to see how it feels and so I can judge if I could handle a really light gym session. The kettlebell work was fine so long as I don't attempt to add any dynamic motion or twists ( it was only a 6kg bell, so nice and light ). The resistance band was another matter, whilst the exercises were ok at the time, but a couple of hours later my whole hip area knotted up on both sides and they are still slowly easing off now.

I'm still actively working on my foot positioning, trying some toe-heel walking to re-educate my muscles and feet plus some good old tai chi & Qi Gong movements to gently challenge my balance.

Rest day today, I may even start to play with some of my tech toys again now I'm awake a little more ( ignoring I only got 3.5 hours last night )

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope your appointment goes well. It is such a bummer when you feel good and over-do things. The resulting energy and brain drain and discomfort one would think would be a deterrent. But nooooo, we do it all over again. I am wide awake with achy knees and calves right now. Here's to more better days!
 
GP appointment over, signed off for another 4 weeks, to be reviewed when I see my OS at the end of the month. One less stress to worry about - phew! Really like my current GP, some of the best care I've received in a lot of years & they are the one that hooked me up with the great OS for my hips.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
GP appointment over, signed off for another 4 weeks, to be reviewed when I see my OS at the end of the month. One less stress to worry about - phew! Really like my current GP, some of the best care I've received in a lot of years & they are the one that hooked me up with the great OS for my hips.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
That's great news! I think reducing stress is huge! So glad that you are happy with your GP and OS. Sorry to hear your muscles knotted up. It's weird how sometimes the reaction is delayed. The tai chi and Qi Gong sound wonderful. I miss my yoga! I may do a very gentle set in a chair. (barely moving, but breathing, and relaxing...)
 
Glad you have 4 more weeks to recover.
Your assessment of the foot alignment issues in walking have given me something to pay attention to. When I read your discription I realized my foot on the operated leg is rotated out relative to what it used to be ( big toe points towards 1:00 instead of 12:00)
Going to have to start working on that.
Thanks for such a detailed assessment.
Glad you got thru your 1 month slump.
 
So glad to read that you have another 4 weeks! I bet you see a lot of improvement in that time frame.
good going. :thumb:
 
Good morning one and all,

If you can imagine this next statement said in a shocked and somewhat manic chanting manner then you are close to how I appeared to my wife this morning - "I Slept!". It's a bit like when trying to communicate an idea to someone and the only word you can use is Banana but you can change tone of voice - but, "I Slept!" - woohoo. Bed by 23:00, woke once for a loo break, up to the alarm at 05:30. I could happily get used to that; I'll happily accept the occasional night atm knowing it is getting better. Woohoo - sleep !

On to other things....

Thank you all for the support, I was worried about the return to work timing and that's been solved short term. Hopefully I'll get sufficient improvement over the next few weeks to start up a phased return.

@Hip Hip Hooray! In case interested one of the key things I'm moving on to now is Zhan Zhuang - standing meditation. I remembered from a long time ago how my old Sifu used to turn our legs to jelly simply by getting us to stand still. I'm hoping it will give me some solidity and strength back in my structure and aid in my progression now I'm getting to a stage where I'm ready for it.

Physio time later today as well, so more fun and games & I can show off how well I can stand on one foot now - Lol.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So happy for you. It is definitely a very bumpy ride at times. I hope to get to that better place again soon. You weren't kidding when you suggested this one month slump. I seemed to hit a tiny bit early, and it is kicking my rear! Lol! So, with your help and encouragement, I now know how to behave...rest, ice , elevate, pain meds!!! Seems to be helping. The sleep thing is a real frustration - I hope you had another great sleep tonight! I can't wait to sleep on my side, and really sleep again. I wish you continued success in the coming days. Keep up the great recovery and know that some of us, me for one, are watching and learning from you. Thank you for all of your advice! It helps so much. Have a great day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99, Congratulations on the sleeping! Well done. That's really exciting. Sleep makes all the difference in healing. I wonder if getting that extra four weeks had something to do with it. I think stress and worry really affect our slumber.

The standing meditation sounds cool. I'm taking it easy the rest of the day, since I took my first drive to Costco today. Will rest and ice now. Have a great day...
 
You Slept!! Banana! :heehee:

Congrats Andy
 
That is great that you have another 4 weeks to recover, that really does take a lot if weight off your mind , I bet that did help with the sleep..yeah you slept that's is great. Hope it continues and your recovery continues on the up x
 
Good day one and all,

Just a short PT update, it seems my footfall problem is rooted in my hip - what a shock. The fun bit though is the exercise has got me standing on one leg doing a rather quirky hip lift and wiggle, almost feels like some kind of a bilateral THR twerk. So with that surreal thought for the day I'm off for a snooze after all that wiggling

Have a great recovery day

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Video would be nice on that one!
Thanks for a good laugh to start the day with!
 
@Suzette Yes, it's a muscular weakness in the glute/ hip area causing my whole leg not to stabilise properly under me so my pelvis is slightly out of line and it feels like I'm leaning to one side when I balance on one leg, then when I try and walk on it it means I'm using the side of the foot not the whole of it. So my footfall problem stems from there. Hope that makes sense

As for the video, I'm pretty sure it would fail the BS rating system - LOL

Have a great day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, phew I thought your new hip was all out of line. Yes that makes sense.

I too have weak glutes and thigh, I have a feeling we all seem to end up with a similar problem, but we all get effected in different ways . Do you think yours started before your new hips?

Luckily I seem to be walking fine, just throwing my back out a bit. I am finding it hard to build those muscles back up again as well, and apparently weak muscles also ache. I only notice how weak my right leg is when I try to balance on it and it takes a while to get my balance.

I panicked the other day, as one leg was longer than the other. Then I realised I had gone and shrunk my trackie bottoms in the tumble drier, but only one leg had shrunk ! :heehee:

Good luck with your one legged lift and wiggle. X
 
@AndyH99, That's really interesting. Everything is so connected. It's amazing how important the glutes are. Mine are finally working properly again, thanks to the PT exercises, and the surgery. Before I had it done, I developed a real sway back. I just couldn't correct it. Because of that, my bum was sticking out. Now I can wrap the underneath muscles of the bum and lift and engage the legs. My pelvis was lopsided before the surgery and it really threw everything off. Hope your recovery is going well. It sounds like you are very dedicated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom