THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I adopted was to do about half of what you think you can do. Walk half as far at first. That way you have the energy to get back. During recovery you move around the house. But that's a very tiny world. It's a whole lot different when you are coping with crowds or large areas where there is no place to sit and rest.

We have all done it though. Don't worry - recovery is all about finding your limits and then trying it again another day.
 
Yes, I did it too in my recovery! I remember thinking I could run an errand to mail something at the Post Office. Get in car - yep! Drive to Post Office -yep! Stand in long unexpected line while holding a box....ummmm....not so good. I spent the whole tim in that line literally sweating and wondering if I was going to pass out. Now a SMART person would have turned around and gone back home. But, noooooo....not Superwoman Me. I made it through the event, but it was not my finest moment! We are all human....:umm:
 
Boy, Am I glad I am not alone in doing the same things. I find doing it alone which is my choice might be harder. But we chose the way we live. Being Human at some times very interesting. Take care Tashia
 
Josephine, I do need to clarify; I do not have bruising on my foot. I just noticed that when I am sitting for a while (haven't looked at it when I have been standing but maybe I should), that my one foot turns purple-ish and my entire leg as a mottled look all over. To me, this seems like my circulation is very sluggish in that leg... is this normal??? I did a test between both legs where I pushed my finger onto my skin and released to let the blood come back into the area and the operated side was super slow to change back to normal.
Sorry, I did misunderstand. You said this which I obviously took rather literally.
my foot is usually a purplish color
Then you do need to have a word with your surgeon.
 
I guess we all learn lessons the hard way ! Somehow through all the advice and things we read, we still think we are superwoman! I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! LOL!!
 
:heehee: You are HARDLY the only one!!!
 
I am so overly exhausted. This can't be normal. Ever since friday it has been getting worse. I don't have energy to even do my exercises anymore. Everything seems like such a huge effort. I am even trying to not drink as much water so that I don't have to get up to go to the bathroom. I don't think I'm coming down with cold or flu and I'm not depressed or anything... I just want to sleep all the time
 
Oh my dear - remember roller coaster! You are less than 6 weeks after MAJOR surgery and in a dip, the only way is up! Please keep drinking as well, tiredness is a symptom of dehydration. Are you also still managing a home and family? Even thinking uses energy and organising others is exhausting. Listen to your body, if you need to sleep try and get that sleep!
I know you are younger than me (I have a son your age) and we don't heal as quickly as we get older but apart from osteo-arthritis I was very healthy pre-op, did yoga regularly and have a very supportive husband.
Remember - as written by lots of others above - you are NOT Wonder Woman!
My heart and love go out to you

ANNE xxx
 
Lots of bug going around. Rest as much as you body is telling you it needs. Lots of water, fruit juice. Have you been doing more? Taking your pain meds? How's the sleep these days?
 
I don't think it's a bug cuz I have no other symptoms. I just plain have no energy. Hubby went a way for a week or two so I am on my own. I don't think I have ever felt this weak and tired before. Ah well, guess I'll just sleep some more! Still taking my meds too...
I'm sure it'll pass; thanks!
 
Dang, seems a few people are having a 'down day' today, self included.

Edited to add: it'll pass, but i notice it seems to take foreverrrrr- until then at least we have this forum to commiserate on!
 
Hubby went a way for a week or two so I am on my own.

So you are dealing with all the issues. No wonder you are tired NDRN! Go with it - this too shall pass and all that! Just a bump in the recovery road. Hang in there - tomorrow is another day!
 
Hi, I dislocated my hip 3 weeks into recovery of my first hip replacement. I was just about 40 at the time. While not the lightest on my feet i was able to dance, ski, play tennis and eve a little basketball, it just took a little longer to get there. I was in a brace for a couple months and need a couch in my office but it all worked out. I realize that might be hard to see from where you are now. Right now I am also going through some tough times personally while trying to recover form a hip revision. I suggest you try to spend some times with friends. I did that this weekend and it really helped get my mind off all of my issues.
 
you're right davidfd! It seems like it's never going to end!!
Thanks Jaycey
Thanks biman; sorry you are having a rough time too. I thought about the friend thing but it is taking all my energy just to sign on my lap top; the phone just seems impossible today!
 
I didn't know that Alex! makes sense though. The weather here has been pretty blah so I'm sure thats not helping either! Hopefully tomorrow is "getting better tuesday".
 
Dancer.....it makes sense to me that you are feeling tired. First of all, that's a normal feeling under normal circumstances. But....you are now your sole caregiver. So, taking care of yourself IS exercise. Don't worry about not feeling like doing any more right now. You are getting up and down to use the rest room, get food and water, and all the other little things required during a day. Go easy on yourself!! Sleep if you're tired. Your body will thank you for it. And please, please follow Jaycey's advice and continue to drink as many fluids as possible. That is important!!
 
I was thinking about you yesterday as I was having one of those days as well. Glad Alex found out the reason :heehee: ! Here's to a better Tuesday!
 
I really was hoping for a better Tuesday but it hasn't happened yet. I had a dream that my chest was sore but when I woke up, it actually was sore then I went to get out of bed and realized that I could not put any pressure at all on my leg because of my knee (the one on the operated side). It has been swollen off & on for the past few days but I can't walk at all on it now. I went to Dr..no one was available so I attempted driving for the first time since surgery. The driving went o.k. The dr said I may be anemic which would explain the excessive fatigue. She sent me for blood work & chest xray..hope everything is ok cuz I have no more room to have any other problems! She said to wait for the dr to check my knee since it is on Thursday. This morning it was so swollen but by the time I got to the dr, she said it wasn't swollen. After getting all my tests done, I looked in the mirror at my knee and it is definitely swollen again and I can not put any pressure at all on it. So I can't even do my exercises for my hip and am back on crutches. I'm so frustrated I could just cry but I am too weak to do that even. Hope everyone else had a better tuesday. I did go and buy some B12 and some iron just in case I am anemic. I figured that it can't hurt...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom