THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great post! You made my day. You're on you way now NDRN. Well done!
 
Thank you bottomshollow!
I actually woke up today in so much pain and my heel is burning so much it kept me up all night. I think I have a pinched nerve in my back and one in my shoulder cuz my r. hand is tingly too. Anyhow; I woke up with my whole body feeling like royal **** but your posters brought me a smile and the lift I needed to get through today!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Doing it Alone
Hope you feel better as the day goes on.
 
Can you sleep with a pillow just under your knees? It takes the pressure off your lower back. Also, if you put a folded towel lengthwise under the leg with the heel that is burning. Keeping the heel off the bed just a bit will ease the burning. Unfortuately I didn't discover this little trick until it was too late. Got an infection on my heel due to the irritation. Hope things with your back ease today!
 
Hey Shortly Dancing.. Just my 2 cents. A lot of men just aren't nurturing. Things go along fine when you're able to be the "can do" adult and taking care of him. I am glad to see your husband is helping with the kids. All my not be lost - he did after all, step up when you had heart issues. Jacey's advice about the heel thing is very good. Once I got to sleeping on my side (and yes, sometimes tummy), that pressure stopped. :sleep:
 
hippy12; when did you get to start sleeping on your side? I can't wait for that!!
And you are right about what you said...thanks.
Jaycey, I'm going to try the pillow under the knees tonight; thanks. I did it in the beginning but my physio said I was too swollen but I think it's ok to do now; I would rather be a bit swollen in the morning than in tears from pain!
 
Shortly Dancing.. (LOL - love that!).. I think I started at about 2 weeks, being pressured by my PT (She did house calls). She really wanted me on the operated side because she said it would help break up any adhesions, plus if the 'upper hip' was stronger it could more easily adjust if form was bad. We settled for my promise to massage the hard tissue on each side of the wound myself (which I did in the shower using soap on my fingers.) I had a hard time laying on the operated side until I got back into the waterbed, but I'd do a few minutes here and there.
Remember to put a pillow between the legs.
We all progress at our own pace. I remember the early weeks feeling confused.. was I moving too fast, too slowly? I seemed to be getting mixed messages from PT, OT, and nurse, so finally decided to trust myself. Days I'd overdo, I'd "pay" by being completely exhausted, but come back stronger in a day or two. :thumb:
 
I know what you mean Hippy12! I have not tried sleeping on the operated side yet...I'm going to as my PT when she comes on wednesday.
I did try sleeping with the pillow under my knees last night and it did help!
I'm getting my new mattress tomorrow so I'm super excited!!
 
Dancing Shortly! I so know what you mean about the excitement of the new bed. I had thought I could survive on our LR couch for a while till PT got me in and out of waterbed. When that didn't happen, I was miserable until hubby bought me a twin size set from Sam's club (now grandkids have an extra place to sleep when they stay over). I still use the twin bed to read in. I officially HATE the couch! I've gotten back on to watch a show or two on tv in the evenings, but put a whole pillow under me! I hope your new bed is all that and then some! :happydance:
 
Hi NDRN, I would try to go on my non-operated side, at first it was only a minute, then 15 minutes, then 30, then the sky was the limit. Same kind of process for my operated side, but waited until I could sleep comfortably on my non-op side first.
 
I had the same thing, built up endurance on the operated side, (5 min, 15 min, 30 min etc)I can now sleep on that all night! I can lie on the operated side 30 min if I don't move around too much, but can't sleep on it. I'm 7 weeks out today.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Doing it Alone It took me well over a year to be able to sleep on my new right hip. And now after 2 years post op, I can only sleep on that side for short periods of time. Now, I am having trouble with my right shoulder---so that might contribute. I was not a back sleeper before the THR, but getting through that recovery and my TKRs have made it possible for me to both left side and back sleep. I think the ability to sleep on the operated side is a very individual thing.
 
I never worried about trying to sleep on my THR side. I just woke up one morning lying on that side. I think I was 10 or 11 weeks post-op at that point.
 
Let us know how that new bed works. If you try and sleep on your non-op side be sure and put a pillow between your knees. That way your op leg won't fall forward and cross over your non op side. Glad the pillow under the knees worked! I remember the agony before I figured that one out!
 
Thanks everyone!! I tried today for the first time to lie on the operated side and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although I only lasted 5 minutes...
I can't wait to sleep in my new bed tonight! I'm so exhausted because yesterday I sold my bed and had to sleep on the couch and slept only 2hrs. I feel like a zombie today...I tried to sleep during the day but the doorbell kept ringing! I couldn't even muster the energy to do my exercises..
I can't wait to the day when I can sleep on my side!!
 
Hope you are enjoying a comfy sleep in that new bed! :sleep:
 
Well; new bed is great! :)
Whats not so great is that yesterday I tried going on my operated side...I had forgotten to take my afternoon pain killer too. I think I will wait a few weeks before trying that one again!
 
I'm still trying to be positive but am a little bummed out today.... on friday it will be 6 weeks and I am still relying on pain meds, I'm still swollen, and I'm nowhere near ready to go back to work yet.
My physio was here and said I should consult my OS about the fact that my foot is usually a purplish color which I think might be poor circulation... has anyone else experienced this?? I am still numb on the lateral side too although a teeny tiny bit of feeling is coming back.
 
I haven't tried lying on my side yet. I was told have to sleep on my back until I have post op check. Before all the pain started to be really bad I preferred to sleep on my side. I can't lie flat its too uncomfortable. I got myself a backrest and pile my pillows on to sleep propped up. I actually sleep quite well like that.
Hope you get that foot sorted.
 
My physio was here and said I should consult my OS about the fact that my foot is usually a purplish color which I think might be poor circulation... has anyone else experienced this?? I am still numb on the lateral side too although a teeny tiny bit of feeling is coming back.
Dancing Shortly! NO, I do not find my foot a purplish color, other than the initial thing that happened after the swelling went down. My entire leg, shin, even my arch was black and blue. If you think it's lack of circulation, the foot pumps are easy to do.. The gurus here warn about the ups and downs. Hang in there, Dear! (When will you see your OS?) :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom