THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried baking soda... didn't help; tried zinc (diaper rash cream that my neighbour had) and that didn't work either... I can't believe it's been 4 days and these things are still driving me crazy. My skin looks no better in fact worse; like I've had a 2nd degree burn. anyhow; I;m sure it will get better eventually
I was sitting reading when suddenly an idea popped into my head; I thought I should check if Tramadol can cause chest pain (because mine hasn't gotten better). I found out that it is indeed one of the side effects so I wonder if that could be it? I never even mentioned it to any of the dr's & they didn't ask. So I'm going to try to stop taking them for a day and take ibuprofin instead just to test my theory out.
Last night was the best! I had a bubble bath! It felt so great on my aching muscles
 
Hi notdancingrightnow my posts are mainly in petrified of op and life afterwards :)
How are you feeling ?
 
How did not taking the Tramadol work? Wish I knew something that could help you with those burns, what a bad reaction. I keep thinking that you have had some many bad breaks, that it only fits that once you recover things will change your way. Hope your day goes well
 
Hi Beth; I haven't stopped taking the Tramadol yet but I have reduced it..I tried to stop yesterday but after a while the pain got too much so I caved in.... I'm only taking 2-3/day and trying for less.
John, thanks for the info; I will definitely tell them next time to use the ones for sensitive skin. I went to my dr again today because they are so bad... he gave me so cortisone which normally I do not like but I will give it a try!
Stargirl; I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery! Everything will go great. You seem to have alot of positive energy which will really help you!
I'm feeling a little better today; I think the special iron pills and the B12 is really helping to slowly increase my energy. I still have some chest discomfort and am going for the leg vein ultrasound tomorrow but I really don't think it is a PE so I am not worried. I just have a gut feeling that it is due to the meds. I can't take tylenol 3 because I'm allergic to codeine and regular tylenol is like taking Tic Tac's for me...lol... Maybe I'll try advil because my GERD seems to have stabilized.,
 
So today is my pain killer free day (or at least I am trying to start it out that way...we'll see how long it lasts!)
Good news is that my energy levels are still improving and I am starting to feel a little more human again! I drove the kids to school because it is -21 C out! brrrrrrr! then I came back and vacuumed for the first time! I got sore so came to lie down but so far so good! Hopefully the advil will take the pain away and I'm hoping that the chest pain will go away. Good time for hibernating with this nasty weather! It's supposed to get even colder tomorrow. The crazy thing is that 2 days ago is was +7. I really dislike Canadian winters!!!
 
We are having horrid weather as well - but not as cold as -21C! Hope you can rest a bit today. Vacuuming is a fairly tricky activity for a new hippie. Take it slow - there is lots of twisting and turning that you don't realise you are doing.
 
I failed my attempt at a Tramadol free day.... I caved at 1pm this afternoon :( It was probably the vacuuming that did it (and you are right Jaycey about the twisting & turning you don't even realize).
I did go for a massage though and it was great! What an odd feeling though...the MT put my leg into the "normal anatomical position" and it felt like my leg was way out to the side. I knew I was guarding it but geez; I didn't realize how much!! I guess it's all those years of compensating
 
How long had you been taking Tramadol? I've seen various information on the interweb and I think there is some here as well. What I read was that you won't be addicted to it if it's less than a month, but everybody is different. I'm sure addiction is not an issue in your case. Perhaps you just still need it to manage the pain. In my case, I started out with 100 Tramacet pills and was taking 8 a day after I realized it's not an "on demand" thing. Also, my senior drug coverage would not pay for it, so I wanted to wean myself off the pills if possible. When I had less than a week's worth left, I cut the dose in half to see what would happen and I felt fine. After 2-3 more days I stopped altogether and found I didn't need them. I think I only took a couple more once when I felt some pain after doing too much. My plan was to be sure I didn't need them before running out and needing a refill. I still have a few left. However, that's just one case and everybody's different.
 
Hi Oldyellr/ John! I didn't realize you were from Ontario too! Whereabouts?? Where did you have your surgery??
I live in Toronto and had my surgery at Toronto Western
Pretty awful weather eh? :loll:
I have been taking Tramadol since October because that is the only pain med I could tolerate. I have been taking only 2-4/day for the past couple weeks though and I had just one today (so far)
 
I'm in SW Ontario, near Woodstock. Yes, I guess its pretty cold, -18C here now, but I haven't been outside today. We've had it too mild for too long. I never even started the snowblower this winter because of the hip and just drove through what was in the driveway. I have some friends in Montreal that got some real snow not too long ago.
 
I guess it depends on
1) what have you been doing extra
2) when does it hurt constantly, only on standing/walking/etc
3) any other symptoms
4) what stops it hurting

I hurt the ligaments that runs down the outside just over my incision site, most likely twisting bending and standing for too long. It hurt after walking or standing them for some time and got better if I rested it or used crutches.

Hope its just a case of try ad take it easy.
 
Hi! How are you doing? I had my THR not quite two weeks ago and am doing great. :happydance:
 
Yeah, NotDancingRightNow, inquiring minds want to know how you are doing, and are you dancing yet?:egypdance:
 
I wish I was able to dance! Still working on it! It's been a long recovery. I am still trying to ween off Tramadol and having a hard time. My leg length difference has caused alot of back problems ( have a bulging disc) and my other hip has been hurting more because of all the strain it has been taking. I am a little frustrated with how long this is taking but trying to stay positive!
 
NotDancingRightnow if you still need to take something, do. Don't stop too soon, there is no need to be in pain. I know it can be frustrating but it does work it out in its time. I find if I don't push it the better it is. Please try to relax. Be careful with that bulging disc. take care.. tashia
 
Oh honey... you are only just over 3 months post surgery... full recovery can take 18 - 24 months... so much healing at different layers to take place under that incision... we all have to learn patience grasshopper :)
 
Thanks Tashia and Poppet! I just thought that by now I would be much farther along then I am. Patience is a virtue I struggle with. I have not even returned to work yet because the meds make me less sharp and I need to be 100% in order to do my job. So there is a little guilt surrounding that too... I would just like to have one day where I am pain free. I barely get a chance to get over something when something else slams me back down again. (yes, this is me whining because I haven't whined in the last month). I am just so tired and frustrated and exhausted. I work so hard at my exercises and it feels like its going so slow. I am sick of these exercises. I am sick of not being able to do things. I am sick of my house and feeling so alone. So now that I've whined, I am telling myself to suck it up and get on with it because I can easily fall down that self pity slide, and I don't want to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom