Guest viewing is limited

THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco has been the bane of many a hipster, hope you used a scooter or at least used defensive moves with cane to exercise some crowd control. It is perfectly normal to be bushed, but alot of times especially in the beginning it is soooo..good to get out it's workth it, as long as you do not go too crazy.:)

Davefd, you are too funny. LOL:rofsign:
 
NDRN - are you elevating and icing that knee? It's not unusual for knees to complain post THR. You are carrying your weight differently now.

Please keep us updated on your test results. Just hoping you haven't caught that nasty flu that is going around.
 
I hope that you are feeling better now. I would get some days were all I could do was sleep. I just went along with it. I felt if it was just one day I could of overdone it. But if its a couple a doctor visit could happen. Please take care and do let us know how you are doing. Tashia
 
It is tough doing it alone and you are trying to cope with the physical and emotional aspects of your surgery .. Your body is using energy to heal itself, so you will feel more tired than normal - sometimes it can come upon you suddenly. You will also have lost some blood during the operation, as well as into the soft tissues of the leg after the operation, and it takes a few weeks for the body to return the blood level to normal..

Hang in there,

sleeping = healing... Very good !

Not drinking = dehydration.. Not so good! You will retain more fluid and this inhibits the healing.. You will get there it just takes time.. :)
 
Hope your bloodwork is fine while the post-op blues are no fun, it is better than anemia. You know sometimes you need to just go with the flow, if it last a few days and your bloodwork is fine, than push yourself to talk with some friends,
 
Hi NDRN How are you today? Sorry you are having a rough time of it. I haven't been outside as much as I wanted as we have snow and ice at the moment. My balance is not good at the best of times so I am not taking the risk. Sending BIG HUGS hope you are feeling better
Barbara
 
How are you feeling today, resting before dancing? I hear the whole of eastern Canada has the flu, eh?
 
Hi Barbara; we have snow & ice too so I know what you mean! It's not fun being stuck indoors! Hugs back to you too!
Hi Vida; yes, there is a nasty flu bug going around but luckily I have not got it!
I went to my OS yesterday. He said things are coming along fine and that I should recover without problems. I was glad to hear that I am not at an increased risk for dislocation because of the previous one. He did not know what was wrong with my knee and just prescribed NSAIDS. I was always having a funny feeling in my upper hip but now I know why...he put a screw in! He said I will probably need a lift but will re-evaluate in 2 months.
Then I headed to my GP. I found out that I am indeed anemic so I have B12 & iron. I am still having some chest pain so she recommended me going to emergency to rule out a pulmonary embolism. After a 6 hour wait in emerg, my blood tests came back negative but apparently it is not a fool proof test. they wanted to do a CT scan but I refused and signed myself out. CT scans are the equivalent of 300 xrays. I had one after my THR 6 wks ago so I am 'glowing' already...I don't need the extra radiation. Anyway, he was 80% sure that I didn't have a PE so that was good enough for me. The hospital was an awful experience! They didn't have a seat high enough for me to sit on (forgot cushion at home) so I was left standing alot. After constant complaining, the one nice nurse there took pity on me and brought a bunch of sheets to put on a chair. But the damage was already done! I have not sat or stood that long in 6 weeks and it was soooo difficult... I just loaded up on pain killers. By the time I got home, I was in agony.
I am feeling a wee bit better today although I still have the knee pain and mild chest pain. who knows, maybe I have a virus or something although I don't feel I do. I'll just wait it out and have a restful weekend. I'm just a little bummed because I can't do alot of my hip exercises because of the knee pain. my OS said to stay off work another 2 months..I think I will go nuts at home because I am not even half way there!! At least I know now that costco has wheelchair buggies (wish I would have known that on my last trip!)
It was so cute, my 82 year old father made me dinner the other night...I am usually the one bringing him food! I just better be in good condition by March 3 because I bought tickets for my father and I to go to a concert. Something to look forward to anyway :SUNsmile:
 
Dancing, if you continue to have that chest pain, why not make an appointment with a cardiologist to get checked out instead of going to the emergency room. There are other tests that can be done to help detect a clot besides a CT scan if you are concerned about having that test.
 
Hi Notdancingrightnow, read through a few of your posts for the first time as we are a similar age (im 35) and always good to hear from someone that knows the struggles of a thirty-something in this world! :) I just wanted to tell you I think you are an amazing soul and must be the absolute apple of your beautiful parents eyes!! It sounds like you have a very loving relationship with your children and parents and this is a true treasue.

If you don't mind I'll drop in occassionally to check in on yor progress because something tells me you are going to be one of BS amazing recovery stories with time and I think you have strength of chararcter very few of us can imagine posessing. May God continue to install strength in your wonderful character and fill your life with love, light and healing every single day.

My best wishes to you. You really are an inspiration to all. xxx:flwrysmile:
 
Absolutely get chest pain checked out... Symptoms such as that is best not to ignore :)
 
Stargirl; what you wrote really touched me; thank you! What a great way to start my day after reading your post! I see you are going for surgery soon so I wish you all the best! (I was trying to find your posts but couldn't...)
 
Anyone have any advice....?
It appears that I am allergic to the glue that is used in electrodes. When I took the pads off, my skin looks like it has been badly burned. I couldn't sleep last night because it was so darn itchy!! I have 8 of this horrid looking burn marks...any ideas on how to stop the itching or what i can put on it??? Josephine
 
Hi NotDancingRightNow

Sorry to hear you have this to contend with as well as everything else. I use Aloe Vera gel (or the inside of the plant leaves if available) for any kind of burn, great for healing.

I hope it heals up pretty quickly for you.

Diane
 
I was always having a funny feeling in my upper hip but now I know why...he put a screw in!
You mean similar to this? That's nothing to worry about, just a design option.

[Bonesmart.org] Doing it Alone


CT scans are the equivalent of 300 xrays. I had one after my THR 6 wks ago so I am 'glowing' already...I don't need the extra radiation
I worked in an orthopaedic operating theatre for most of my life and the almost daily xray exposure was something staff frequently complained about. So when ever it was raised, the radiology department would provide us with a badge but we would hang it on the operating lamp not on a person. After the statutory three months exposure, the result was always the same - zero exposure! I very much doubt any single individual having even several scans and xrays per year would ever get to the point of "glowing". :wink:
 
Thanks Josephine; the ER doc told me that that much radiation increases your risk of cancer later in life which is what made me change my mind and get out of there!. I got an appointment for next tuesday to get a leg vein ultrasound and hopefully that should tell for sure whats going on. I don't think I could get a PE without having a DVT in my leg anyways.. I don't think thats what the problem is but I guess my dr is just being cautious. It the pain persists, I will go back to get the CT scan.

Good news! Furnace guy came and fixed it...I have heat again!!! Which means I don't have to wear my parka inside anymore!!

Bad news is that the antihistamines aren't doing too much and I'm too tired to go get the nappy rash cream. I goin nutty being so itchy. grrrrrr
 
Was just having a think about what you might already have at home to help with the itchiness. Do you have baking soda? I have heard that if you make a paste of it and spread it on burns, insect bites or other skin irritations it helps.

:)
Diane
 
Good to hear from you and that you are better. Please keep in contact Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom