THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your leg length difference can definitely affect your back. I have back issues as well and went through months of "adjustment" before addressing my LLD. You are right to wait 3-4 months before getting any lift. In addition you need to make sure you get measured correctly. This thread shows how the measurement should be done: Leg Length differential

Take care and do keep us updated!
 
What would we do without this site? Free advice from people who know what they are talking about. At least here in the UK we have the National Health Service - we do moan about it (time to see a specialist, waiting lists, etc.) but at least we are not having to give hard-earned cash for every little thing.
My OS told me that it may take a while for the new hip to settle - my spine was C-shaped when viewed from the back and my pelvis tilted slightly, he said when the muscles have healed that may change (or not) so to give it time. He was not specific about how long! I guess it is because we are all different!
I am also still on Tramadol daily but that is more for other arthritic joints than the hip (aggravated the shoulder using walking aids!) - have been taking it for a long time, dread coming off it, but at least I am not using the Oramorph now. Yup, the hip bone-on-bone pain used to break through the Tramadol and paracetamol that I was on (no NSAIDs, gastric bleed!) and it is just what it sounds like, oral morphine.
Best wishes to all
Anne
 
Hello,not been on for ages....try and not let it get you down,i found recovery very hard also,im not 100% yet but im close,or close enough i can do the things i need to do anyway work wise.There was days i thought i would never be able to do livestock work on the farm again,there was a huge fear of being hurt,something i never gave thought to before but eventually i got the fear beaten.So what im saying really is dont give in,it will come together.Cheers
 
Great to hear from you, I know the feeling, while I do not get much pain in my left hip I still have alot of weakness and now with my right one done am looking at real rehabilitation. I too find that some things I do not try to do out of fear, but once you attempt it, you can usually do it. It takes awhile to relieve the fear as well as to relearn what we forgot when we adjusted the way we did things due to our hips. Keep going strong and steady
 
Thanks benzscotland ! I am trying! Just saw my OS yesterday and he is sending me for an EMG because I still can not move my leg outwards (the abductors). I'm hoping there is no nerve damage and that it is just weakness. Slowing down my exercise regime seems to have helped. I danced for the first time yesterday to try to test it out but I don't think I'm ready yet. I wanted to be one of those people who recovered quickly but I'm learning that it just wasn't meant to be! Good luck to you!
 
Hi there NDRN.. I was extremely immobile prior to surgery, days off from ordering the electric scooter. So decided after much research that I would give myself 2 full years to fully recover.

I started feeling somewhat normal around 7 months, started Nordic Walking around 12 months, fast forward to current 16 months I am still conscious that I still have some healing time ahead.... but get there I will and so will you :)
 
You know, I've sometimes wondered if it would help to get an orthotic to raise my longer leg up even more to 'force' my pelvis to adjust sooner. I'm seeing some improvement myself in the last couple of weeks. I'd estimate I'm only about 1 inch off now, and it feels different too (in a good way).

ROM - I think to cope I almost have to just forget about it and just believe that it's going to come back. I find when I 'test' it out every now and then I tend to obsess about "when is it going to come back" and "why is it taking so long".

Anyway, hope things are getting better for you NDRN. It's sure is a slow process for me, but I feel I will get there someday.
 
NDRN and billyedtimmy I only started to lose the LLD sensation at 4 months. It was definitely related to pelvic settling. As my OS had measured me I felt reassured and had stopped worrying. One day I woke up and it had gone. But I have really focused on improving my gait, essentially correcting the way I had been lurching pre-op.
 
Hoping for some help! I am having alot of groin pain and it is getting worse. it feels like someone is stabbing me there. i am also getting pain in my mid-thigh; both on the lateral and medial side and sometimes right on top. I was doing alot of walking but the last couple weeks have been taking it easy. I can't even walk for 5 minutes now without being in pain. Any advice or ideas of what could be wrong? My pain is just as bad as it was pre-surgery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Doing it Alone
NotDancingRightNow, that you are having such problems and are in so much pain. I am going to tag Josephine to tackle this with you.
 
I'm sorry that you are hurting. Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Take care. Tashia
 
Hoping for some help! I am having alot of groin pain and it is getting worse. it feels like someone is stabbing me there. i am also getting pain in my mid-thigh; both on the lateral and medial side and sometimes right on top. I was doing alot of walking but the last couple weeks have been taking it easy. I can't even walk for 5 minutes now without being in pain. Any advice or ideas of what could be wrong? My pain is just as bad as it was pre-surgery.



Hi NDRN, your pain sounds exactly like what I've been experiencing for the past 2 months. After X-rays, multiple consults with GPs and PTs, the consensus on my problem is tendinitis of the hip. Read up on it, I suspect this may line up with the symptoms you've been experiencing?

It's a horrible setback, I truly feel your pain. I've been back and forth on crutches/cane since late May. It's like starting all over again with the post-OP recovery. Ice frequently helps, especially to 'calm' down the pain prior to going to bed. I'm back to my basic ROM exercises. Some anti-inflammatories take a little of the edge off the pain as well. Taking it EASY is the biggest thing. The recovery from this is VERY gradual. It's very much trial/error to find the boundary between reasonable motion and too much. From my own experience, cycling and flexion stretches are a no-no. Short walks (with the crutches to modulate weight as appropriate, or to be able to get home without further exacerbation if a jolt of searing pain enters during the walk) are good. I can't yet do full-weight or long walks yet without the groin pain, but hopefully someday.

Good luck, and keep in touch!
 
Thanks Josephine, it does sound like it... although I hope that is not the case. I don't think I can handle another surgery.
Thank you Tasha.

Billyedtimmy; good to hear from you. sorry you are still having problems. Looks like we are both in the same boat! it is beyond frustrating. I thought that by now I would be able to enjoy my summer with my kids. I'm back on Tramadol again too. Unfortunately I can't take anti-inflammatories due to my stomach problems so pain management is challenging (allergic to codeine too..) Right now I'm too sore to do my exercises so I've stopped. I was getting tired of them anyways.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom